Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Old Oct 5, 2023, 1:40 pm

I’ve flown 3 times in the last week and have been surprised how good it looks in real life - much better than the pictures. All but one of the crew I asked said they liked it, though I appreciate it’s a small survey. Apparently they can choose which version to wear but it’s not a completely open choice and if they choose to go for the ‘wrong’ one they still need it to be approved by a manager first.

Personally I’ve been surprised how many have opted for the dress, but it does look good so I can see why. Being able to avoid the weird satin-style shirt probably explains it too. It would suit a lot of men more than the trousers tbh so I hope a few do take it.

I do think it’s all a bit too similar to AA, but I’m getting used to that.

I’ve seen precisely zero pilots in hats. So much for uniform standards.
BA or bust and flybymonkey like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Perhaps the best thing about the new uniform is the number of Daily Mail readers who "will never fly BA again".
Whatever people's views are on the new uniforms, especially the negatives, will it really stop them from flying BA or crew leaving or going on strike as a result?

BA are really going public with it via their social channels so I would urge more people to be as vocal as possible through them or through any post flight surveys.

As far as Oswald Boateng is concerned he has done his bit and probably been paid.

I have yet to see the new uniforms in the flesh but since it was released I am coming around to accepting the design.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:55 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm flying BA in a couple of weeks around Europe and the UK. From a distance the uniform looks bland, and a little like an Aldi check out. Looking at the You Tube vids the materials appear to look quite cheap - a bit of a nylon sheen to things. I may be wrong and it may look great in real life (I hated the AA rebrand but loved the real thing). I am trying to keep an open mind on this
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I've not seen the uniforms in person yet, but I've been trying to make sense of the pattern on the ties/scarves. The first time I saw the red pattern, it just reminded me of streaky bacon! And that was all I could see for a good while… I've stared at it for longer and I can see a sort of abstract tartan perhaps. Still seeing bacon first… I've since seen pictures of the navy/lupin coloured ties, which seem a lot nicer.

There are
, and of one pictures of the navy ties strongly reminded me of another BA pattern:

Maybe it's my brain looking for patterns where there aren't any, but I'm seeing echoes of the Chatham Historic Dockyard waviness, especially with the bottom red part.

Is it abstract bacon tartan? Is it Chatham Historic Dockyard derived?

It's been over 26 years since World Tails and Chatham Historic Dockyard first appeared in June 1997, so who knows how much longer the currently livery will last.

Still not a fan of the new red ties, but I'll console myself with believing I've found an Easter egg even if it's just a co-incidence…

Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Unusual apologies announcements on BA

A new one for me, as we were pushing back this evening there was an apology that not all crew members were wearing the same “new Oswald Boateng uniform” for “operational reasons”

I’m slightly tempted to take up the offer to ask them if I have any questions, was the operational reason a shortage of Daz, a wine incident with a tipsy flyertalker on previous flight etc.

Any other unusual on board announcements I should be hunting for?
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Ha! I had similar on Wed; that some were and some were not. One crew member had old style trousers and new shirt/tie combo. I coped.

That flight was also particularly odd in that we had an extra announcement of... 15 seconds of the safety briefing they forgot to do. Just randomly put the life jacket on and showed us how to tie it at the side.
lorcancoyle likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
... a bit odd really that they release a new uniform soon after a new safety demonstration video rather than vv (not that the uniform should affect safety).
Old Oct 6, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
I was at T5 this week and I thought it was a lovely shade of blue with dashes of colour. I flew with VS, but stayed at Sofitel and went too and fro. In particular I thought the VS uniform looked quite dated in comparison and less flattering.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by CKBA
... a bit odd really that they release a new uniform soon after a new safety demonstration video rather than vv (not that the uniform should affect safety).
They deliberately made two versions of the video because they knew it would be a while until the uniform was rolled out but didn’t want not to have one at all.

There’s a long other thread about the announcement, but in short it’s considered a CAA safety requirement to point out if two different uniforms are being worn.
lorcancoyle and KARFA like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JAXBA
It's been over 26 years since World Tails and Chatham Historic Dockyard first appeared in June 1997, so who knows how much longer the currently livery will last.
It may be old, but it’s one of very few truly timeless schemes. Here’s hoping they don’t touch it!
Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
There's no crew handbag issued and the ladies can choose whether to wear flesh or nearly black tights. Details like this make the difference between 'uniform' and the mish-mash we're currently seeing. The satin blouses reportedly 'catch' and pull easily in the wash and yes, 2 trips in and the collar of the navy dress is rubbing and leaving a nasty rash on my daughter's neck.

She's so sad the JMcD uniforms are gone, referring to the new dress as the 'dinner lady look'. She is also receiving passenger comments about how much harder it is to spot a supervisor without the silver tie. Personally I still think she looks great, but she's fortunate to be young and slim... the cut of the new uniform won't be so kind to curvier figures.
londonba2014 and Jorntroop66 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Same announcement on yesterday’s early MAN flight. Found it rather amusing.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:48 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
How is the average passenger expected to know what is the normal uniform and what is the boating uniform?
Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
it’s considered a CAA safety requirement to point out if two different uniforms are being worn.
Why would CAA “regulate” the choice of uniform for an airline? So passengers can recognise their crew?
Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Confus
There’s a long other thread about the announcement, but in short it’s considered a CAA safety requirement to point out if two different uniforms are being worn.
ah, that does make more sense (now imagining an “I am Spartacus” style situation with random people claiming to be crew )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.