Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Old Oct 6, 2023, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Why would CAA “regulate” the choice of uniform for an airline? So passengers can recognise their crew?
There have been several studies showing that in emergency situations passengers benefit from being able to identify crew instantly and consistently, and the CAA have chosen to interpret this as meaning that uniform should be, well, uniform. I’m not saying they’re right or wrong, but that’s the justification they use for taking it so seriously.

In the past BA has been pulled up in CAA safety audits because on the same flight some crew performed the safety demonstration with jackets on and some with jackets off. BA had to promise to tell SCCMs they should choose ‘all on’ or ‘all off’ for each flight. But you just try telling WW (as was) what to do…
Old Oct 6, 2023, 3:58 pm

Well, you need to know who is with you and who is part of the opposing team
Twickenham likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 4:13 pm

On todays BA322 to CDG we had a different, but equally odd apology (after the standard apologies for late inbound, delayed boarding, ATC delay to pushback when ready, long taxi…..etc.). The front toilet was out of service so the captain said it was a short flight and basically passengers should try their best to hold it in. Thankfully, despite a rammed A321 full of thirsty Scots and Irish rugby fans, the inability to offer a Speedbird Cafe service (no apology from the flight deck for that but an emailed apology sent in flight) acted as a natural mitigant….
lorcancoyle and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Well, you need to know who is with you and who is part of the opposing team
Imagine, in an emergency, someone exclaims - you're NOT my crew, you're not wearing OZWALD BOETENG!!
lorcancoyle likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
On todays BA322 to CDG we had a different, but equally odd apology (after the standard apologies for late inbound, delayed boarding, ATC delay to pushback when ready, long taxi…..etc.). The front toilet was out of service so the captain said it was a short flight and basically passengers should try their best to hold it in. Thankfully, despite a rammed A321 full of thirsty Scots and Irish rugby fans, the inability to offer a Speedbird Cafe service (no apology from the flight deck for that but an emailed apology sent in flight) acted as a natural mitigant….
The inability to offer the Speedbird Cafe service would stem from the fact that it isn't offered on this route (AMS/BRU/CDG/DUB/JER/MAN/NCL)
Old Oct 6, 2023, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by bwaflyer
The inability to offer the Speedbird Cafe service would stem from the fact that it isn't offered on this route (AMS/BRU/CDG/DUB/JER/MAN/NCL)
You should probably tell that to BA as they emailed a profuse apology mid flight referring to “an unforeseen issue with our catering supplier”. Perhaps I’ll get an apology for the inappropriate apology?
Old Oct 7, 2023, 3:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I had the same apologetic “operational reasons, some crew are wearing old uniforms” announcement.

Why couldn’t it have been presented more positively “you may notice that some crew are wearing the new BA uniforms today !” ?

I was flying on launch day but not aware it was happening, and my first encounter with it was to notice a female crew member wearing what appeared to be an oversized dark blue sack with holes cut for arms. I now see that this was the new apron.
ExpatExp, becks1 and johnny_cl like this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
First experience this weekend of the new uniform on flights to/from Berlin.

I’ve come round to the dresses ‘which’ on the majority of folk do look quite smart, but different story if the wearer is of bigger build - an issue not as evident in the JM. The shirt/cravat combination just looks awful - can’t help but do a doubt take - looks like something from the 1990s. Men’s not looking too dissimilar from before.

On speaking to the crew - their first word was ‘horrible’ - they rather hoped it might be gone before too long..

Didn’t bother asking on the return as the IFM quite frankly (obviously not the case) sounded drunk or totally out of it over the tannoy and the safety demo announced from down the back was in incomprehensible English - despite the crew member being British and having a script in front of them - standard BA really
Jorntroop66 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 12:08 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
If you don't like the new BA uniforms, take a look at the ones just announced by Aegean. Beam me up Scottie!
Jorntroop66 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues
I really don’t like the red “godet”. It looks very awkward, to put it kindly. Also the cut on the uniforms is unhelpful or perhaps some of the staff in this shot are not wearing the right size? I’m not thrilled.
As for the months of consultation with staff, I’m afraid I’ve experienced that albeit not for a uniform. Top brass just want confirmation of decisions already made and are just paying lip service to consulting the staff. (For top brass one could substitute “government” and for staff, “electorate”; it was ever thus) Other than very minor changes BA won’t have been interested, especially if time and budget will be impacted.
So didn't BA management give ALL the cabin crew the opportunity to say whether they wanted the uniform change or not?

I totally agree. I don't like the new female cabin crew uniform at all. I think they should scrap it and go back to the JM uniform, which was much smarter and more stylish.

What IS with these airlines making their cabin crew more casual and unsightly? Are they trying to gradually make their female cabin look more like sporty, casual types than elegant, well dressed professionals?

Yes, I have heard that the new uniform has not gone down too well with a lot of the crew. What I can't understand, though, is that why all of them weren't given a vote on this new Boateng style, instead of just the 1500 that BA said had tested the uniform out.

Like the vast majority of people, I was gutted to see the lovely, elegant JM uniform go, as I thought it really made the crew stand out. Unfortunately, the new one, by its sheer dullness and drabness, does not.

I really feel for your daughter, and agree that the JM uniforms should have been kept, as the crew really stood out in them.

Why on EARTH did BA management see fit to fix something that was not broken in the first place. I will never ever forgive them for scrapping my favourite uniform ever. And the vast majority of people who hate the Boateng uniform won't either.

Even the new skirt suit - which is about the only item that DOES reflect the JM style to a degree - is ruined by that unsightly red arrow on the front of the skirt. Many have equated it with a spilled ketchup stain!

Let us hope this disastrous new uniform does not last, and the JM uniform will return - at least in SOME form.

Last edited by aks120; Nov 25, 2023 at 4:10 am Reason: Combine multiple consecutive posts into a single post
Old Nov 24, 2023, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver
Yesterday on my flight the crew were discussing the uniform as some other passengers asked what they thought of it. It stirred up conversation between a few of us and the crew all commented on how much they dislike the uniform and how it is not practical. It was interesting to hear that the much promoted jumpsuit is still not available and has not been issued to any of the crew.

What I dislike is that it is hard to identify for e.g. the colours of the Senior crew where in the past the IM, CSD etc always stood out with their silver tie. Not that really is important. Also some of the new uniforms appear to be in poor condition already. The uniform put me in mind of Globespan for some reason.

In some ways the new uniform looks cheap, but that aside the crew were fantastic and a real credit to BA providing what can only be described as outstanding professional service so uniforms aside I was delighted.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 7:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ScottishTX
It was interesting to hear that the much promoted jumpsuit is still not available and has not been issued to any of the crew..
We had a crew member in one last night upto Manchester, from the questions being asked by her colleagues it did sound like she was one of only a few that had it.

She made two observations, firstly having gone to use the loo after boarding whilst delayed, she emerged holding the cardy and tie she had been wearing commenting shed had to get pretty much undressed to do what she needed to do.

Secondly she said it was only comfortable to wear on the airbus narroebodies where the overhead lockers close downwards, anything wide body where she had to reach up to push the locker shut such as the 777 would give her a wedgy everytime she stretched.
​​
ScottishTX likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: QF WP
Has anyone got a picture of the apron?
Old Nov 24, 2023, 11:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Haven't followed this thread, but all feedback I have is negative.
with the main thing being that the clothes for the girls have been designed for anyone who identifies that way. Meaning that they are not suitable or flattering for people born as a female

Genuinely crew I spoke with were considering leaving over it
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 1:01 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Just read a TR here https://viewfromthewing.com/review-b...ndon-heathrow/ and in this, I actually did go into a confusing moment for a second when I went through the photo of the cabin - from a first glimpse I really thought it was an AA flight instead of BA. At least to me this reinforce my opinion that this new design is close to a copy cat of AA's uniforms.

Cheers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.