Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Old Nov 27, 2023, 7:20 pm

Programs: None
Re. Julien MacDonald Uniform

Originally Posted by KARFA
Is there a reason you are particularly worked up about the new uniform Jorntroop66?

Tbh, like others have noted, it has grown on me.
I wouldn't really say I was "worked up" about the new uniform, as I think that phrase is a bit inaccurate and extreme. No, the reason why I have been so vociferous about the new uniform is simply because I absolutely loved the Julien Mac uniform, and so I was really shocked to see what was replacing it. Such a disappointing downgrade. That's all. They should have left the uniforrm alone. You know the old adage, don't you: If it ain't broke etc.

There ARE a lot of other people who feel exactly the same as I do, you know. And, by all accounts, a lot of the BA female crew do too. This new uniform is universally despised. Even all the polls show a huge call for the return of the JM uniform.

I hope that clears up now any misunderstandings about my comments.
Can I help you and RJD1983 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
This is exactly what happened and BA management will point to this.

BA set up a new uniform group and invited staff from all uniform wearing departments to get involved. There were over 1000 staff members involved in workshops, some were flown out to view manufacturing locations and test various fabrics/colour options. People from this group had opportunities to view designs and give input. Many of them trialled the uniform and were involved in various fittings long before the official launch. The design team also spent time observing the different uniform roles and speaking to agents doing those roles about what was important in a new uniform. The staff I spoke to at the time were all excited about what they had seen of the designs.

If most of the wearers don’t like it, then the design process or involving a large group of staff didn’t work.
Don't know why they left that unsightly red arrow on the front of the skirt suit. It detracts from the look of the suit. It should be removed.
Can I help you likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 2:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks. I liked the previous uniform too, but sometimes you have to change. That uniform was quite old.

Originally Posted by Jorntroop66
This new uniform is universally despised. Even all the polls show a huge call for the return of the JM uniform.
Universally? So no one likes it? What polls?

Don't know why they left that unsightly red arrow on the front of the skirt suit. It detracts from the look of the suit. It should be removed.
Yes I heard all about this before hand. Tbh it looks ok to me.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:03 am

Thanks. I liked the previous uniform too, but sometimes you have to change. That uniform was quite old.

Universally? So no one likes it? What polls?

Yes I heard all about this before hand. Tbh it looks ok to me.
Sorry, but I don't agree that the JM was old. There was nothing wrong with it. It was timeless. Sometimes change can be for the worst.

Look, we obviously don't agree on this matter, so I will leave it there, if you don't mind. Everybody to their own opinion. Thanks for the comments, anyway.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Sorry, but I don't agree that the JM was old. There was nothing wrong with it. It was timeless. Sometimes change can be for the worst.

Look, we obviously don't agree on this matter, so I will leave it there, if you don't mind. Everybody to their own opinion. Thanks for the comments, anyway.
I would rather you stay and we have a discussion, just because someone expresses a contrary point of view doesn't mean you need to pick up your ball and go home. I don't see the issue in respectful disagreement. If I may say so, you seem to be taking this very personally, as if you have a stake in this beyond being a mere observer passenger like I and many others on this board are.

I respect you (and others who have a different opinion), and I am just trying to understand why you have that opinion. For example you mention polls in your previous post, if there have been polls done internally and 90%+ of staff have said they dislike the new uniform, then that would be interesting to hear - which is why I am asking you to expand.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:08 am

I would rather you stay and we have a discussion, just because someone expresses a contrary point of view doesn't mean you need to pick up your ball and go home. I don't see the issue in respectful disagreement. If I may say so, you seem to be taking this very personally, as if you have a stake in this beyond being a mere observer passenger like I and many others on this board are.

I respect you (and others who have a different opinion), and I am just trying to understand why you have that opinion. For example you mention polls in your previous post, if there have been polls done internally and 90%+ of staff have said they dislike the new uniform, then that would be interesting to hear - which is why I am asking you to expand.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yeah, no problem. I perfectly understand, and am certainly not averse to having a bit more discussion on this. However, before I go any further, I would just like to make one thing clear, and that is I have NO stakes whatsoever in this. I don't know what made you think that. It is just that when I have a strong opinion on anything, I like to make my feelings as clear as possible, and that attitude expands to many other subjects too (and not confined to just airlines), like films, books, music etc. It is just the way I am, having an inherently vehement opinion on certain things, so there you have it: it is merely a strong opinion on the uniform change, that is all.

Right, all that out of the way, on to your question about the polls. Well, there was one big poll held on Fly Guy's Cabin Crew Lounge Network - who is a top and popular voice in the airline industry - on the BA uniform change, in which 88% of cabin crew gave the new BA unifom the thumbs down. Link: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/new...ll/ar-AA1hJj5r

The other polls were held on Linkedin and Twitter.

And all that is not counting all the other comments I have seen on various sites, in which many people have said they do NOT like the new Boateng uniform, labelling it as "dull" and "drab" and "frumpy". The dress has now earned the less than favourable title of "The Dinner Lady Look." And, of course, I agree. There are far, far more people hating the Boateng uniform than there are actually liking it. The facts speak for themselves.

So, yeah, again, I must say that all I am doing is stating an opinion, and that opinion is, like most people, I do not like the new uniform. The female crew stood out more in the JMac uniform. That is my opinion, and nobody will ever change that.

I hope that now clarifies the matter. Feel free to comment.

So yeah, again, I must emphasise to you that all I am doing is making a strong point about the JM uniform.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:08 am

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
The wheel is old but we are still using it

And yes, the new uniforms are totally yuk
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:20 am

Well said!

Actually, the Julien MacDonald uniform was my all time favourite BA uniform ever, hence another reason why I was very sorry to see it go.
Lynyrd likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Some quality and fit issues aside, male crew are generally happy with the new uniform and have mostly come to prefer it to the old one as it's much more comfortable and breathable and when worn correctly looks good (especially when sunlight catches it and the colour pops). Most common complaints are around the beltless slim fit trousers which despite the side adjusters just don't seem to stay up, and the clip-on tie which has a tendency to pop out from under the wide shirt collar and is already starting to fray.

Most female crew seem to prefer the old uniform.

The trench coat is universally well liked; it feels like a real quality piece and fits most people well.
LCSinTexas and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by EJetter
Some quality and fit issues aside, male crew are generally happy with the new uniform and have mostly come to prefer it to the old one as it's much more comfortable and breathable and when worn correctly looks good (especially when sunlight catches it and the colour pops). Most common complaints are around the beltless slim fit trousers which despite the side adjusters just don't seem to stay up, and the clip-on tie which has a tendency to pop out from under the wide shirt collar and is already starting to fray.

Most female crew seem to prefer the old uniform.

The trench coat is universally well liked; it feels like a real quality piece and fits most people well.
Yeah, I must admit, the guys' new uniform does look OK. It is just the ladies' uniform that is not so good. Why on earth don't BA tweak the skirt suit and remove that ugly red arrow from the skirt? That would be the next best thing if they cannot restore the JM uniform.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold | Hilton Honors - Gold
The big question will be on how durable it will be. The material/colours they have picked have a tendency to fade (Navy) or wash out/grey (white shirts blouses) with age.

I don’t know what BAs policy of uniforms is, but to keep the staff looking presentable they will need to replaced on the regular.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Jambon87
The big question will be on how durable it will be. The material/colours they have picked have a tendency to fade (Navy) or wash out/grey (white shirts blouses) with age.

I don’t know what BAs policy of uniforms is, but to keep the staff looking presentable they will need to replaced on the regular.
BA have said that 90% of the garments are sustainable fabrics.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by londonba2014
Oh come on.. please. BA internal staff channels had to be disabled when it was launched - due to staff “feedback”, the General Public weren’t quiet about it either on social media.

I think opinion has been shared but as per - seniors refuse to engage or listen. Don’t forget that after the flunk of a launch - the same execs claimed it had been ‘well received by staff’
Well, all I can say is that if it HAS been "well received" by staff, it must have been just a small minority, because by all accounts, most of the female crew HATE it, and rightly so. BA made a real error scrapping the JM uniform, and they should have left it alone.
Can I help you and RJD1983 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
PYOK reporting that the new uniform will be undegoing some alterations as it's not quite hitting the spot....

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...ting-the-mark/
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The whole thing should be scrapped it’s a complete mess.
PUCCI GALORE, Dan72, mario and 4 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.