Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2023, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Typical leadership lip service from the IAG Leadership team.... To be fair they're not exactly going to slag it off having just squandered god knows how much on cobbling the collection together.
I don't believe they have. At the end of the day, that was a very bold statement to make by the exec publically. He could have just subtly mentioned it being released with no further comment. If staff are not going to complain about it and say that it does put them to same along with the faults of the uniform as well as customers continuing to fly without providing feedback through the direct official channels then you will continue to hear this sort of thing.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 5:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
I don't believe they have. At the end of the day, that was a very bold statement to make by the exec publically. He could have just subtly mentioned it being released with no further comment. If staff are not going to complain about it and say that it does put them to same along with the faults of the uniform as well as customers continuing to fly without providing feedback through the direct official channels then you will continue to hear this sort of thing.

Oh come on.. please. BA internal staff channels had to be disabled when it was launched - due to staff “feedback”, the General Public weren’t quiet about it either on social media.

I think opinion has been shared but as per - seniors refuse to engage or listen. Don’t forget that after the flunk of a launch - the same execs claimed it had been ‘well received by staff’
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:25 pm

Programs: None
Re. Julien MacDonald Uniform

Originally Posted by londonba2014
Oh come on.. please. BA internal staff channels had to be disabled when it was launched - due to staff “feedback”, the General Public weren’t quiet about it either on social media.

I think opinion has been shared but as per - seniors refuse to engage or listen. Don’t forget that after the flunk of a launch - the same execs claimed it had been ‘well received by staff’
Good points made there. What I can't understand, though, is why all the crew who hated the new uniform didn't go to their union with their grievance. If the crew continue to hate it as the months go by, then surely, in the end, the bubble will burst, and BA will HAVE to start addressing the problem. A good start would be to scrap those Dinner Lady Dresses and remove that unsightly red arrow from the front of the skirt.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants
the Qantas uniform was/is not well received by staff at all and very much geared to one body type. The previous Peter Morrissey one was far more a) Australian and b) forgiving

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/...rm-in-pictures
Interesting point, thanks nancypants. Goes to prove that beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder.

Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
The joy that was uniform store at Hatton Cross and the staff there!!! In the 6.5 years I wore it, I don’t think I ever really had a proper fitting pair of trousers!!!
Good memories, huh?

Originally Posted by Jorntroop66
I take your point about the discomfort of the men's JM uniform, and to judge by your comments about the ill-fitting trousers, it sounded as if it definitely needed an upgrade there (nothing worse than a pair of ill-fitting pants!). The new men's uniform is fine, and as long as it is a better fit for you, then that's what matters, as you are the one who has to wear it, at the end of the day.

I think it is the new female uniform that has generated all the criticism and hate. I mean, it really does look like a HUGE disappointing downgrade compared to the much more stylish and professional-looking JM uniform. To be fair, perhaps even some of the ladies did have comfort issues with the JM, I don't know, but at the same time, it is an undeniable fact that a LOT of the female crew DID love the JM uniform, and were very sorry to see it go. I mean, you have got to admit - a nice, smart skirt suit on a female crew member looks MUCH nicer than a drab dress and dishcloth tie. I think so, anyway, and I know many other people do too. That dreadful dress has now earned the less-than-favourable title of "The Dinner Lady Dress", and that just says it all in terms of what the general public - and, indeed, even some of the female crew themselves - really think about this new design. To be honest, I was actually SHOCKED with disbelief when I saw that some of the females chose that dress over the much smarter skirt suit!

I don't want to argue too much about JM uniform now, as I think I have made my point, and I know everybody has different tastes. I loved it. I miss it. Many other people do, including a lot of the crew themselves. But what can you do?
Don't get me wrong, my wife was gobsmacked when the new uniform was launched (she wears it). I've always thought that, rather than a big splash, it'd have been a LOT better if the makers of the uniform used an iterative approach like you do with software, where you take your community of users with you and build the product iteratively. So that by the time it's all done, perhaps you will lose the 'wow' factor but it'll be known and, above all, already accepted.
SpeedbirdLHR and RJD1983 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Jorntroop66
Good points made there. What I can't understand, though, is why all the crew who hated the new uniform didn't go to their union with their grievance. If the crew continue to hate it as the months go by, then surely, in the end, the bubble will burst, and BA will HAVE to start addressing the problem. A good start would be to scrap those Dinner Lady Dresses and remove that unsightly red arrow from the front of the skirt.
BA staff are under contractual obligation to wear which ever uniform the compnay provides them with. I'm not entirely sure the union would be able to successfully challenge this, despite large levels of unpopularity amongst members. Any safety issues with it should be able to addressed but personal opinions regarding the look/ feel of the uniform will most likely not be taken into account.
RJD1983 and londonba2014 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 2:12 am

In this day and age (one where people are very vocal about their rights), it’s a little crazy to launch/design a new uniform for public facing staff especially considering how long they need to wear it for each day and the environment they have to wear it in, without a significant level of feedback/involvement and buy in from said staff. A little naive imo.

Aesthetically, I’m not a fan of the new uniforms, as others have commented they do indeed look cheap, perhaps it’s an "emperors new clothes" scenario at the BA board at sign off level.
RJD1983 likes this.

Last edited by Richardc77; Nov 27, 2023 at 2:20 am
Old Nov 27, 2023, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Richardc77
In this day and age (one where people are very vocal about their rights), it’s a little crazy to launch/design a new uniform for public facing staff especially considering how long they need to wear it for each day and the environment they have to wear it in, without a significant level of feedback/involvement and buy in from said staff. A little naive imo.
This is exactly what happened and BA management will point to this.

BA set up a new uniform group and invited staff from all uniform wearing departments to get involved. There were over 1000 staff members involved in workshops, some were flown out to view manufacturing locations and test various fabrics/colour options. People from this group had opportunities to view designs and give input. Many of them trialled the uniform and were involved in various fittings long before the official launch. The design team also spent time observing the different uniform roles and speaking to agents doing those roles about what was important in a new uniform. The staff I spoke to at the time were all excited about what they had seen of the designs.

If most of the wearers don’t like it, then the design process or involving a large group of staff didn’t work.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by stewaran
Haven't followed this thread, but all feedback I have is negative.
with the main thing being that the clothes for the girls have been designed for anyone who identifies that way. Meaning that they are not suitable or flattering for people born as a female

Genuinely crew I spoke with were considering leaving over it
Do you mean that the clothes have been designed too small i.e. for girls or that they are just not suitable for anyone born a woman? I can imagine clothing is a big factor and given CC have to wear it for such long periods of time, it is something that would make people consider leaving. That would be a real shame.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It absolutely didn’t, I’m afraid it’s a case of the Emperors New Clothes with those involved frightened of saying anything and getting take on the wave of the excitement of being involved and keeping the secret!
Old Nov 27, 2023, 3:49 am

This is exactly what happened and BA management will point to this.

BA set up a new uniform group and invited staff from all uniform wearing departments to get involved. There were over 1000 staff members involved in workshops, some were flown out to view manufacturing locations and test various fabrics/colour options. People from this group had opportunities to view designs and give input. Many of them trialled the uniform and were involved in various fittings long before the official launch. The design team also spent time observing the different uniform roles and speaking to agents doing those roles about what was important in a new uniform. The staff I spoke to at the time were all excited about what they had seen of the designs.

If most of the wearers don’t like it, then the design process or involving a large group of staff didn’t work.
From the outside looking in, having heard not only from the wearers but also from people who worked on the trials, I think something has failed along the way. Either the trials weren't enough (and some anecdotal evidence I heard from those who were involved it seem to support that, especially when we talk about sturdiness of the materials), or not all of the feedback was taken onboard.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Richardc77

Aesthetically, I’m not a fan of the new uniforms, as others have commented they do indeed look cheap, perhaps it’s an "emperors new clothes" scenario at the BA board at sign off level.
I totally agree with you about these DREADFUL uniforms. They definitely DO look cheap. I really hate those drab dresses and jumpsuits. I preferred the smart skirt suits of the JM, as that uniform really made the female crew stand out and promoted the BA brand well. Very sad it has been replaced by such a disappointing, dull design. Let us hope it has a short life, and BA start making female crew LOOK like female crew again, instead of damn dinner ladies!
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:14 am

The JM men’s trousers were bad!!! Nothing fashionable about them. Some guys got them altered so they fit better.
Well, all I can say is that if the guys were allowed to make "alterations" to their uniform, surely the women could be allowed to make similar alterations to THEIR uniform. And the first thing that should be altered is that awful, usightly red arrow on the skirt, pointing up towards a place where it shouldn't! That red looks as if somebody has spilt tomatoe ketchup down the skirt. It detracts from the look of the suit.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by DXB2745
I’m remotely not interested/completely oblivious as to what the staff are wearing if I’m honest but it matters to some.

and as for BA managers reading this and bringing something back (said in jest I assume) when they’ve just changed the uniform you’ve more chance of getting a happy black cab driver when you tell him you want to go to Cranford from T5.
I did NOT say it in "jest". I was serious, although I do take your point about the unlikelihood of any BA managers taking a blind bit of notice of my call for the return of the JM uniform, after their having squandered MILLIONS of pounds on this disastrous new "dinner lady" uniform and the rest of the drab items in this range. Still, one can DREAM, can't one?

The best we can hope for, I suppose is that this dreadful new uniform will have as short a life as possible. The sooner the damn ugly thing goes, the better. I hate it, and I am certainly not alone in feeling that way..
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Do you mean that the clothes have been designed too small i.e. for girls or that they are just not suitable for anyone born a woman? I can imagine clothing is a big factor and given CC have to wear it for such long periods of time, it is something that would make people consider leaving. That would be a real shame.
From memory it was that the clothes were designed to allow that a body born male could wear them, and as such lost some of the elements that give it a better more flattering fit for the ladies. it was 6 weeks ago so the specifics have left me im afraid
Old Nov 27, 2023, 4:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is there a reason you are particularly worked up about the new uniform Jorntroop66?

Tbh, like others have noted, it has grown on me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.