Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Another BoB 'experience':

No sandwiches loaded today on BA716 LHR-ZRH. Not a single one. Unbelievable.

The cabin crew told me that they reported this when they got onboard (before the passengers came onboard) but they couldn't get the catering to be brought to the aircraft in time.

The crew was truly sorry and was upset as well.

Uptake was average I'd say, about 1 purchase per row (mostly soft drinks and coffee/tea).
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I think BA is obsessed with cost cutting that they would rather load no sandwiches at all than risk them expiring without them being sold!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
The £4.75 charge for my sandwich back in late January finally made it onto my credit card statement this month - anyone else with a similar experience or was I just lucky/unlucky?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Firipu
The £4.75 charge for my sandwich back in late January finally made it onto my credit card statement this month - anyone else with a similar experience or was I just lucky/unlucky?
Can you get a chargeback? I remember hearing on this forum if they delay it so much you can charge it back? Or is this fiction.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by florens
Another BoB 'experience'

No sandwiches loaded today on BA716 LHR-ZRH. Not a single one. Unbelievable.

The crew was truly sorry and was upset as well.

Oh dear oh dear.

Yet another example (as though one were needed ....!!) of why travellers booking an ET ticket are well advised to regard BoB as Bring on Board.

Despite frequent assertions that BoB is 'running smoothly' (not to mention Sr. Cruz's claim that this was what we all asked for), the fact remains that the only way to be 100% sure of enjoying some food onboard BA is to take your own.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
Oh dear oh dear.

Yet another example (as though one were needed ....!!) of why travellers booking an ET ticket are well advised to regard BoB as Bring on Board.

Despite frequent assertions that BoB is 'running smoothly' (not to mention Sr. Cruz's claim that this was what we all asked for), the fact remains that the only way to be 100% sure of enjoying some food onboard BA is to take your own.
well when I report on pax complaining on lack of food on BoB sectors, some say It is not factual. Well it is and BoB is the one of the dumbest thing BA have ever done.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I think BA is obsessed with cost cutting that they would rather load no sandwiches at all than risk them expiring without them being sold!

Oh dear oh dear.

I agree.

This is the Twitter answer:

Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:26 pm

" We're sorry about the lack of catering ....... we've fed your comments back ....hopefully you'll see improvements ....."

"Hopefully" .....

That's about as waffly & meaningless a response as you could get, lacking any sense of conviction.

It's as though even the BA Twitter team can't be bothered to defend BoB any more.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
"Hopefully" .....
It is only a first step:

hopefully >> possibly >> probably >> not
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

" We're sorry about the lack of catering ....... we've fed your comments back ....hopefully you'll see improvements ....."

"Hopefully" .....

That's about as waffly & meaningless a response as you could get, lacking any sense of conviction.

It's as though even the BA Twitter team can't be bothered to defend BoB any more.
That's exactly what I thought.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I have been puzzled by this. Most service companies would deliberately overcater the first few weeks, so you could get an idea of the actual demand on different routes and at different times.

My cynical view is that there is some other angle at play, like really wanting to force people into the habit of bringing food from somewhere else so they can change service or staffing levels later.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I had my first BOB flights last week: BA1326 LHR to NCL on 1st June and BA1461 EDI - LHR on Sunday 4th.

I didn't partake on the NCL flight but there were some purchases in front of me where contactless was used as the payment method and everything seemed pretty smooth and seamless.

On the EDI - LHR flight on Sunday we had some cabin issues as all nine rows in the front cabin on the 767 were set up for Club whereas rows 7 - 9 were assigned as Euro Traveller seating. Ground staff had to come back on board to extend the middle seats.

So we had BOB from row 7 and Club from 1 - 6. As I had a tight connection at LHR I decided to try out BOB and had a tea and a bacon butty. I paid with Avios and, again, no issues - the crew definitely seemed on the ball. I received the bacon butty after about 10 minutes. It could have been slightly warmer but it was tasty and hit the spot.

I did have a chance to speak to the CSD during the flight. We had an interesting conversation about the lack of complimentary food / drink for Gold Card Holders and I made the point of comparing BA to AA where OWEs will receive a complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack item when in economy (and everyone receives soft drinks). She made a rather telling comment which was "I have gone from working on Concorde to selling Percy Pigs"

That says it all really
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I had my first BOB flights last week: BA1326 LHR to NCL on 1st June and BA1461 EDI - LHR on Sunday 4th.

I didn't partake on the NCL flight but there were some purchases in front of me where contactless was used as the payment method and everything seemed pretty smooth and seamless.

On the EDI - LHR flight on Sunday we had some cabin issues as all nine rows in the front cabin on the 767 were set up for Club whereas rows 7 - 9 were assigned as Euro Traveller seating. Ground staff had to come back on board to extend the middle seats.

So we had BOB from row 7 and Club from 1 - 6. As I had a tight connection at LHR I decided to try out BOB and had a tea and a bacon butty. I paid with Avios and, again, no issues - the crew definitely seemed on the ball. I received the bacon butty after about 10 minutes. It could have been slightly warmer but it was tasty and hit the spot.

I did have a chance to speak to the CSD during the flight. We had an interesting conversation about the lack of complimentary food / drink for Gold Card Holders and I made the point of comparing BA to AA where OWEs will receive a complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack item when in economy (and everyone receives soft drinks). She made a rather telling comment which was "I have gone from working on Concorde to selling Percy Pigs"

That says it all really
Brilliant! 😂🖒
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie405

She made a rather telling comment which was "I have gone from working on Concorde to selling Percy Pigs"

That says it all really

Quote of the year (already !)
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
To copy your previous quote ''You know this as a fact or is it anecdotal?''

I suppose that might depend on how long he stays!
i guess customer experiences reported on twitter and skytrax are fake news for BA's management and die hard fans. In a few weeks, skytrax will downgrade BA to 3 star airline. Expect lot of fake news on MSM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.