Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 6, 19, 11:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: KARFA
Wiki Link
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 5, 17, 9:41 am
  #1726  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 4,853
Another BoB 'experience':




No sandwiches loaded today on BA716 LHR-ZRH. Not a single one. Unbelievable.




The cabin crew told me that they reported this when they got onboard (before the passengers came onboard) but they couldn't get the catering to be brought to the aircraft in time.




The crew was truly sorry and was upset as well.




Uptake was average I'd say, about 1 purchase per row (mostly soft drinks and coffee/tea).
florens is online now  
Old Jun 5, 17, 9:48 am
  #1727  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 3,733
I think BA is obsessed with cost cutting that they would rather load no sandwiches at all than risk them expiring without them being sold!
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jun 5, 17, 9:55 am
  #1728  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, Oneworld Emerald
Posts: 201
The 4.75 charge for my sandwich back in late January finally made it onto my credit card statement this month - anyone else with a similar experience or was I just lucky/unlucky?
Firipu is offline  
Old Jun 5, 17, 9:58 am
  #1729  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 3,733
Originally Posted by Firipu View Post
The 4.75 charge for my sandwich back in late January finally made it onto my credit card statement this month - anyone else with a similar experience or was I just lucky/unlucky?
Can you get a chargeback? I remember hearing on this forum if they delay it so much you can charge it back? Or is this fiction.
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jun 5, 17, 10:05 am
  #1730  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,681
Originally Posted by florens View Post
Another BoB 'experience'

No sandwiches loaded today on BA716 LHR-ZRH. Not a single one. Unbelievable.

........................

The crew was truly sorry and was upset as well.

.............................
Oh dear oh dear.

Yet another example (as though one were needed ....!!) of why travellers booking an ET ticket are well advised to regard BoB as Bring on Board.

Despite frequent assertions that BoB is 'running smoothly' (not to mention Sr. Cruz's claim that this was what we all asked for), the fact remains that the only way to be 100% sure of enjoying some food onboard BA is to take your own.
subject2load is online now  
Old Jun 5, 17, 12:02 pm
  #1731  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Posts: 935
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
Oh dear oh dear.

Yet another example (as though one were needed ....!!) of why travellers booking an ET ticket are well advised to regard BoB as Bring on Board.

Despite frequent assertions that BoB is 'running smoothly' (not to mention Sr. Cruz's claim that this was what we all asked for), the fact remains that the only way to be 100% sure of enjoying some food onboard BA is to take your own.
well when I report on pax complaining on lack of food on BoB sectors, some say It is not factual. Well it is and BoB is the one of the dumbest thing BA have ever done.
BA6948 is offline  
Old Jun 5, 17, 1:00 pm
  #1732  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 4,853
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
I think BA is obsessed with cost cutting that they would rather load no sandwiches at all than risk them expiring without them being sold!




Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
Oh dear oh dear.

Yet another example (as though one were needed ....!!) of why travellers booking an ET ticket are well advised to regard BoB as Bring on Board.

Despite frequent assertions that BoB is 'running smoothly' (not to mention Sr. Cruz's claim that this was what we all asked for), the fact remains that the only way to be 100% sure of enjoying some food onboard BA is to take your own.
I agree.

This is the Twitter answer:


florens is online now  
Old Jun 5, 17, 1:26 pm
  #1733  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,681
" We're sorry about the lack of catering ....... we've fed your comments back ....hopefully you'll see improvements ....."



"Hopefully" .....

That's about as waffly & meaningless a response as you could get, lacking any sense of conviction.

It's as though even the BA Twitter team can't be bothered to defend BoB any more.
subject2load is online now  
Old Jun 5, 17, 1:30 pm
  #1734  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: London
Programs: Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Posts: 4,972
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
"Hopefully" .....
It is only a first step:

hopefully >> possibly >> probably >> not
jms_uk is offline  
Old Jun 5, 17, 1:32 pm
  #1735  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 4,853
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
" We're sorry about the lack of catering ....... we've fed your comments back ....hopefully you'll see improvements ....."



"Hopefully" .....

That's about as waffly & meaningless a response as you could get, lacking any sense of conviction.

It's as though even the BA Twitter team can't be bothered to defend BoB any more.
That's exactly what I thought.
florens is online now  
Old Jun 5, 17, 2:05 pm
  #1736  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
I think BA is obsessed with cost cutting that they would rather load no sandwiches at all than risk them expiring without them being sold!
I have been puzzled by this. Most service companies would deliberately overcater the first few weeks, so you could get an idea of the actual demand on different routes and at different times.

My cynical view is that there is some other angle at play, like really wanting to force people into the habit of bringing food from somewhere else so they can change service or staffing levels later.
Egoldstein is offline  
Old Jun 5, 17, 2:29 pm
  #1737  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
Posts: 1,918
I had my first BOB flights last week: BA1326 LHR to NCL on 1st June and BA1461 EDI - LHR on Sunday 4th.

I didn't partake on the NCL flight but there were some purchases in front of me where contactless was used as the payment method and everything seemed pretty smooth and seamless.

On the EDI - LHR flight on Sunday we had some cabin issues as all nine rows in the front cabin on the 767 were set up for Club whereas rows 7 - 9 were assigned as Euro Traveller seating. Ground staff had to come back on board to extend the middle seats.

So we had BOB from row 7 and Club from 1 - 6. As I had a tight connection at LHR I decided to try out BOB and had a tea and a bacon butty. I paid with Avios and, again, no issues - the crew definitely seemed on the ball. I received the bacon butty after about 10 minutes. It could have been slightly warmer but it was tasty and hit the spot.

I did have a chance to speak to the CSD during the flight. We had an interesting conversation about the lack of complimentary food / drink for Gold Card Holders and I made the point of comparing BA to AA where OWEs will receive a complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack item when in economy (and everyone receives soft drinks). She made a rather telling comment which was "I have gone from working on Concorde to selling Percy Pigs"

That says it all really
Geordie405 is online now  
Old Jun 5, 17, 2:32 pm
  #1738  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,144
Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
I had my first BOB flights last week: BA1326 LHR to NCL on 1st June and BA1461 EDI - LHR on Sunday 4th.

I didn't partake on the NCL flight but there were some purchases in front of me where contactless was used as the payment method and everything seemed pretty smooth and seamless.

On the EDI - LHR flight on Sunday we had some cabin issues as all nine rows in the front cabin on the 767 were set up for Club whereas rows 7 - 9 were assigned as Euro Traveller seating. Ground staff had to come back on board to extend the middle seats.

So we had BOB from row 7 and Club from 1 - 6. As I had a tight connection at LHR I decided to try out BOB and had a tea and a bacon butty. I paid with Avios and, again, no issues - the crew definitely seemed on the ball. I received the bacon butty after about 10 minutes. It could have been slightly warmer but it was tasty and hit the spot.

I did have a chance to speak to the CSD during the flight. We had an interesting conversation about the lack of complimentary food / drink for Gold Card Holders and I made the point of comparing BA to AA where OWEs will receive a complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack item when in economy (and everyone receives soft drinks). She made a rather telling comment which was "I have gone from working on Concorde to selling Percy Pigs"

That says it all really
Brilliant! 😂🖒
Padmeister is offline  
Old Jun 5, 17, 2:38 pm
  #1739  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,681
Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post

............................................

..................................


She made a rather telling comment which was "I have gone from working on Concorde to selling Percy Pigs"

That says it all really


Quote of the year (already !)
subject2load is online now  
Old Jun 6, 17, 1:17 am
  #1740  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Posts: 935
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
To copy your previous quote ''You know this as a fact or is it anecdotal?''



I suppose that might depend on how long he stays!
i guess customer experiences reported on twitter and skytrax are fake news for BA's management and die hard fans. In a few weeks, skytrax will downgrade BA to 3 star airline. Expect lot of fake news on MSM.
BA6948 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: