Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
If you have to give instructions for an adult to drink a cup of coffee, your design is too complex/over engineered, and you really didn't need to re invent the wheel.
+1.

I'd say to bring back the original coffee and charge £1 for it.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you have to give instructions for an adult to drink a cup of coffee, your design is too complex/over engineered, and you really didn't need to re invent the wheel.
Have you tried it? It is much better that the coffee they served before.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
but is the same as daft coffee EI have so willie walsh saving a penny ( euro ) or two.. I am not a fan of it.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Exactly, one of those solutions to a problem that never existed. Plenty of people prefer to take the lid off and drink from the cup too rather than through the lid, I find it more pleasant.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
It would be nice to think that they do care ; but - given that these issues have been ongoing now for around four months - the most logical conclusion is that you are right. And that they don't.

The fact that BoB operates smoothly on many (and perhaps even on most ?) flights can in no way excuse, or compensate for, the fact that on countless others it clearly does not.

There was a time when BA would have been truly ashamed of making announcements, of the sort being reported here, to passengers just about to board a flight (we haven't loaded enough /any food for you, so get your own at the airport). But of course it's a whole different BA these days.

I can't help recall a recent FT thread in which a poster referred to BA as an airline which "lost its moral compass some time ago". It seemed to sum up so much, and in so few words.
BA doesn't care at all about its passengers. Saving pennies is its utmost priority. They are still having issues with stocks 5 months into this. Complaints are increasing now especially from passengers on holiday flights. Yesterday, on twitter, there were multiple complaints about the sames flights: SKG-LGW, KGX-LHR, CFU-LHR... no or low stocks of food.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Maybe loading less food is the internal answer to the trolley blocking the aisle for 2 hours complaint. Otherwise the answer is extra crew.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, OWE Saphire, VS, IB, HHonours, Former Under The Sea Dweller
Got my 1st BOB on Wednesday from DUS not looking forward to it
Old May 22, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Tuggster
Got my 1st BOB on Wednesday from DUS not looking forward to it
Obviously a very short sector - but even so, you can very easily pre-empt any concerns/issues by doing what so many of us now do : take a bit of your own favourite food with you, along with a drink of something bought airside if necessary.

That way you get to drink & eat when YOU want - as opposed to when the trolley eventually gets to you (assuming of course they actually remember to load adequate - or indeed any - supplies ......)

And save money too !
Old May 22, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
Obviously a very short sector - but even so, you can very easily pre-empt any concerns/issues by doing what so many of us now do : take a bit of your own favourite food with you, along with a drink of something bought airside if necessary.
I find that a small can of coke, bag of Kettle Chips and a banana from Galleries South usually suffices for a Band 1, and fits nicely in my laptop bag.

Having now taken at least one BoB flight per week for the past few months, my impression is that customers have mostly accepted the principle and are prepared to pay for on-board refreshments.

What they do not forgive, however, is food not being available at all: I have seen passengers in the first row of ET being told that the items they have very carefully selected from the glossy brochure are unavailable, and have been on more than one flight where the stock runs out before the trolley reaches the back of the plane (or where slow service means that there is no time to serve the last few rows). BA seems to forget - or just not care - that many of their short-haul ET passengers have just transferred, hungry, from a long-haul flight and didn't have time to eat at the airport.

BA really needs to sort out its stocking levels, even if that means over-catering for a few months. After all, other airlines can do it.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Had our first SH with BoB lhr to dub a couple of weeks ago
Struck me as both inconvenient for passengers and crew and very inefficient in terms of servicing th cabin. They barely got through half.
I don't really understand the concept. It's either a way to save money by not offering "free" refreshments or reducing costs to load and carry them, or a way to generate income other than fares. But it doesn't imho improve much from a passengers point of view.
We have access to lounges so we often pop in and have a drink and a snack and can live without a drink or food for a 1-2.5 hr flight. And if we can't for a few £ there's lots to get in most terminals.
We did see more people putting a few cans and some crisps and biscuits in their bags than we have seen before and although it happens I don't think thats really the purpose of the lounge food.
Most who have access to lounges aren't the sort of passengers who I'd
think would think twice about a few £'s for a bottle of water and sandwich but I realize I am making an assumption there
Personally I see it as a reduction in service of for nothing more than the time to took to run credit cards and calculate costs...... surely for a few extra £'a per passenger built into the fare supply at least drinks (no alcoholic) and a choice of a bag of crisps, or some sort of 100 calorie snack. If people want "food" that can be a purchase service.
Most North American Airlines operate that way and it's quick and efficient
I thought this was inefficient and gave a sense of "cheapness".....
Old May 22, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Ryanair sell the same style, although theirs is Lavazza. It is very nice, and far better than the instant Kenco slop on EasyJet. I'm glad to see BA have caught up with the times, I was someone who was demanding they brought in the Ryanair sippy cups because it is infinitely nicer. Guess sometimes you just can't win.

Speaking of short sectors and poor service, EasyJet managed to service a full A319 from Bristol to Newcastle in about ten minutes last week. And a very nice glass of red it was too. Why on earth can't BA manage it?
Old May 22, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
Speaking of short sectors and poor service, EasyJet managed to service a full A319 from Bristol to Newcastle in about ten minutes last week. And a very nice glass of red it was too. Why on earth can't BA manage it?
BA are still a relatively new LCC - i suspect it will improve over time.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
BA are still a relatively new LCC - i suspect it will improve over time.
But just how long will it take to improve ........

True, BA may be new to the world of LCC's and their modus operandi, including BoB ; but they're hardly new to running an airline, to getting food & drink loaded for every sector, and then handing it out onboard.

And yet .... and yet ...... five months in, and on many flights they're still somehow finding BoB a challenge too far.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Most who have access to lounges aren't the sort of passengers who I'd
think would think twice about a few £'s for a bottle of water and sandwich but I realize I am making an assumption there
Don't forget that many/some passengers will not have a chance to spend £s, either due to insufficient loading or slow service.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Don't forget that many/some passengers will not have a chance to spend £s, either due to insufficient loading or slow service.
Absolutely : but I was actually referring to buying the products not on board but at the terminal shops.....either way it's silly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.