Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Calchas
“I have gone from working on Concorde to selling Percy Pigs”
She should have that next to her name tag
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by florens
No Avios compensation for no sandwiches (reported upthread):
The twitter direct message is even more hilarious:

Thanks for replying to us, Florens. We're sorry you remain unhappy with our response.

Sometimes, our stock is limited due to the space available in our galley. We’re working hard to improve the quantity of produce available on our flights as quickly as possible.

We understand why you expect to receive a higher standard of service, especially as a Gold member of our Executive Club. While I appreciate why you expect to be compensated, we're unable to honour your request. We're sincerely sorry for any disappointment caused.

Please be assured, our Customer Experience team is working hard to improve this service using the feedback we receive from our customers. Thanks again for contacting us.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
Originally Posted by florens (from a BA reply)

Sometimes, our stock is limited due to the space available in our galley.
This is indeed novel. Have BA reduced the size of the galley? As I recall there was enough space in the Galley to store a snack for each and every Economy pax pre BoB.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Egoldstein
I have been puzzled by this. Most service companies would deliberately overcater the first few weeks, so you could get an idea of the actual demand on different routes and at different times.

My cynical view is that there is some other angle at play, like really wanting to force people into the habit of bringing food from somewhere else so they can change service or staffing levels later.
Well if people got into the habit of bringing their own food, then BA could rip out the galley space, put in another couple of rows of seats and hey presto, more extra revenue than they'd get from BoB...

Oh alright, maybe keep a snack basket to hand around for those whiny people in CE
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
Sounds like many occasional flyers got caught by BOB even as late as this.
I would not be surprised to hear this gets worse again over the summer holiday period, with families who are occasional flyers and used to the BA service being caught out.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by chongcao
Sounds like many occasional flyers got caught by BOB even as late as this.
Originally Posted by af101
I would not be surprised to hear this gets worse again over the summer holiday period, with families who are occasional flyers and used to the BA service being caught out.
I've seen a few Facebook posts over the last couple of months from friends here in the US shocked at the fact that not even non-alcoholic drinks were available for free. "I thought BA was supposed to be better than US airlines. I hope I get fed something on my longhaul flight." BA charging for food and drinks on shorthaul may have made the news in the UK, but unless you are travel obsessed it won't necessarily have made it onto your radar if you live outside the UK. And at least among the non-travel obsessed, yes it will be a surprise and you can bet that they will remember that they couldn't even get a cup of coffee for free, and with the way BA's been handling BOB, couldn't even get a cup of coffee if they were willing to pay for it.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I have spoken with a number of infrequent BA travellers about their experiences in Y. The near universal consensus has been that they were unimpressed with what they saw; some were more vociferous in their criticism. I have no doubt that the brand is taking an absolute hammering.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Was on the 12.20 flight from GLA to LHR yesterday, albeit in J, but their was an announcement over the intercom saying that "as had been announced in the airport lounge by the gate the flight down has very limited selection of BoB we do apologise for this" again not a good start to albeit a very short flight, so while i tucked into my chicken salad etc etc with a bottle of fizz I felt sorry for the people down the back.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:28 am

BOB is nicknamed NOB in BA. As in Not on Board.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by Sigwx
BOB is nicknamed NOB in BA. As in Not on Board.
LOL will bear that in mind next time I make a quote^
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by BA5E
LOL will bear that in mind next time I make a quote^
some of us still call it BOB, just Bring on Board!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:23 am

I think there are two sorts of NOB. One where they sell out due to unexpected demand - Oversold Not On Board, and the other where they simply choose not to cater sufficiently in the first place - Knowingly Not On Board.

I'm seeing a few ONOB reports on here, but plenty more KNOBs.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:22 am

Well we certainly have plenty of choice BOB NOB ONOB and KNOB, wonder what Cruz thinks of that
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BA5E
Well we certainly have plenty of choice BOB NOB ONOB and KNOB, wonder what Cruz thinks of that
The last one might be NSFW, even though most probable...

Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Parents flew LHR-Rome and back last week.

Early morning departure - no bacon rolls or breakfast items available/sold out.
Inbound afternoon departure - no sandwiches/salads left. Bacon rolls available.

Expenditure - zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.