Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Parents flew LHR-Rome and back last week.

Early morning departure - no bacon rolls or breakfast items available/sold out.
Inbound afternoon departure - no sandwiches/salads left. Bacon rolls available.

Expenditure - zero.
Oh dear.

An afternoon flight from the Italian capital, with a bacon roll the sole food option for the multi-cultural passengers of Britain's national flag carrier.

Is this really the best we can expect from today's BA ......? Such incidents continue to be reported far too frequently to be considered isolated in their occurrence.

Given that a full six months have now passed since BoB launch, it's perfectly possible that BA have no serious intention of addressing these ongoing service failures.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by subject2load
Oh dear.

An afternoon flight from the Italian capital, with a bacon roll the sole food option for passengers of Britain's national flag carrier.

Is this really the best we can expect from today's BA ......? Such incidents continue to be reported far too frequently to be considered isolated in their occurrence.

Given that a full six months have now passed since BoB launch, it's perfectly possible that BA have no serious intention of addressing these ongoing service failures.
It seems so, really, and this is disgraceful.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Sister is flying BA to Greece this weekend- infrequent traveller with no stays. I have told her to buy food after security as she might not even be able to buy on board. It is very sad to see our flag carrier become such a total shambles.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Have BA basically given up on trying to sort out the stock levels? I thought Alex had said this was something he was going to sort out?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Parents flew LHR-Rome and back last week.

Early morning departure - no bacon rolls or breakfast items available/sold out.
Inbound afternoon departure - no sandwiches/salads left. Bacon rolls available.

Expenditure - zero.
Well that says it all!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by jms_uk
The last one might be NSFW, even though most probable...

broken down english what does that stand for bet something not to be repeated

Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
You forget that cost cutting has become part of the culture, as quoted by AC himself.

Step 1 - Stop providing free meals and introduce BOB. Save on the complimentary meals.

Step 2 - Stop loading any BOB. Save on the fuel costs of flying it around the world. Save on the logistical costs of getting it on the aircraft in the first place. Save on CC as you have nothing to be serve to Customers.

Wait to see what step 3 is - probably stripping out the galleys [sp?] as they'll be redundant.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by HHarry
You forget that cost cutting has become part of the culture, as quoted by AC himself.

Step 1 - Stop providing free meals and introduce BOB. Save on the complimentary meals.

Step 2 - Stop loading any BOB. Save on the fuel costs of flying it around the world. Save on the logistical costs of getting it on the aircraft in the first place. Save on CC as you have nothing to be serve to Customers.

Wait to see what step 3 is - probably stripping out the galleys [sp?] as they'll be redundant.
Well said. Low stocking is on purpose, and they need to load a small amount of stuff to justify saying yes we have a menu if you want something = )

I dont think AC can get away with no Galleys at all, but certainly as little as possible with one sandwich loaded per flight!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Originally Posted by HHarry
Where did he quote this? The press would have a field day with a quote like that!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by mdj1
Where did he quote this? The press would have a field day with a quote like that!

Sorry mdj, AC commented that cost cutting was embedded in the culture. He hasn't commented that the decision to short stock BOB is deliberate.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
I am used to the BOB situation now - it's a mess on about 1/4 of my flights due to lack of stock.

What really is bothering is the crew only half filling the cup of tea. Is the intention to save them having to go back to the galley for more hot water? It's just not acceptable to buy a drink and for it to come half full, I don't have this problem on any other carrier.

The irony is that pre-BOB, I often found that they overfilled the small cups, particularly in turbulence, and I used to end up with tea all over the table!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:43 am

BA801 KEF-LHR yesterday: sat in the 2nd row of economy cabin, the yoghurt had sold out but managed to get a bacon roll. When it arrived, I asked for the (advertised) ketchup and was told there was only one sachet of brown sauce and one sachet of ketchup for everyone. The gentleman in 9A kindly gave me a squirt of his.

Given the price of everything in Iceland, BOB is actually quite reasonably priced, so was rather more in demand yesterday than I've seen on other trips and, if stock control was sorted, KEF must be a cash cow. But supply was minimal and apart from sympathy for the hungry souls in row 28, I have more sympathy for the poor BA staff placating those whose choice of BOB is sold out.

I suspect that BA management really don't get the level of niggle that BOB - or the way it is managed - actually causes punters, which directly translates into a negative view of the brand.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Spongthrush
BA801 KEF-LHR yesterday ...........

managed to get a bacon roll. When it arrived, I asked for the (advertised) ketchup and was told there was only one sachet of brown sauce and one sachet of ketchup for everyone. The gentleman in 9A kindly gave me a squirt of his.

......................... if stock control was sorted, KEF must be a cash cow. But supply was minimal and apart from sympathy for the hungry souls in row 28, I have more sympathy for the poor BA staff placating those whose choice of BOB is sold out.

I suspect that BA management really don't get the level of niggle that BOB - or the way it is managed - actually causes punters, which directly translates into a negative view of the brand.
One sachet of brown sauce and one of ketchup for the whole cabin : you really couldn't make it up !!

Wrt BA management perspective : my own view is that they do get it ; but that they have pretty much given up caring. If they did, then clearly we wouldn't still be hearing reports such as this, six months after BoB launch. Those photos on the BoB menu do look pretty though, you gotta admit.

(all that said, I guess it won't be long before someone tells us that the 'teething troubles' are all sorted ...... BoB's working just fine ..... don't know what all the fuss is about .... )
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
One sachet of brown sauce and one of ketchup for the whole cabin : you really couldn't make it up !!

Wrt BA management perspective : my own view is that they do get it ; but that they have pretty much given up caring. If they did, then clearly we wouldn't still be hearing reports such as this, six months after BoB launch. Those photos on the BoB menu do look pretty though, you gotta admit.

(all that said, I guess it won't be long before someone tells us that the 'teething troubles' are all sorted ...... BoB's working just fine ..... don't know what all the fuss is about .... )
passengers are still complaining on twitter. There are at least 5 a day.

I have been forced to fly BA now down to SA by my company because AF was more expensive. Will report on the CDG-LHR sector later.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:43 am

Hello all,

I travelled EDI/LHR this morning and BOB was completed rather swiftly. Took only about 20 minutes and almost every row someone bought something.

i was really surprised by the number of crew and wondered if anyone knew why there would be so many ? We had 7 in total; 3 pursers and 4 cabin crew on an A320. It was always scheduled as an A320 in MMB, so not a late change of aircraft.

Club Europe was 6 rows, although not full, maybe 18 passengers, and were looked after by the operating purser, another purser and a cabin crew member. this left 3 members of cabin crew and another purser to operate 2 trolleys in Euro traveller.

The captain did say say during his welcome on board PA that today we would, unusually, be looked after by a large crew of 7 in the cabin.

I checked and the flight up to EDI had 7 rows of Cabin Europe,

i did wonder if they might increase crewing levels to enable club service to be provided on domestics but 7, including 3 pursers seems a bit much.

Could it be that office based staff are getting trained to operate flights to cover the MF strike and are operating as extra crew to get some experience ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.