Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Orange.Man
Actually, there could be, depending on the CC T&C's there could be a time limit on the amount of time they can take to claim, with debit cards it's 6 months.
Even if this were the case, it wouldn't absolve the debt.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Originally Posted by KARFA
There "could be" a lot of things.

We are specifically talking about Amex here. Is there a time limit and if so, is it less than 4 months? If no to either then as I advised talk of disputing is a waste of time.
"I advise you not to dispute this, as even though I don't know how long they have to claim it, why bother, it's unnecessary hassle"

Well, firstly, if they try to because of it through time taken, they might find out how long it actually is a merchant has to claim the funds. Secondly, disputing a charge is really not much bother, 10 minutes (if that) on the phone to the card company, then they do all the work.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
"I advise you not to dispute this, as even though I don't know how long they have to claim it, why bother, it's unnecessary hassle"

Well, firstly, if they try to because of it through time taken, they might find out how long it actually is a merchant has to claim the funds. Secondly, disputing a charge is really not much bother, 10 minutes (if that) on the phone to the card company, then they do all the work.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Secondly, disputing a charge is really not much bother, 10 minutes (if that) on the phone to the card company, then they do all the work.
But why on earth would you want to dispute a charge for a cup of coffee and a sandwich that you know you had, regardless of how long it takes for the charge to appear on your account?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
But why on earth would you want to dispute a charge for a cup of coffee and a sandwich that you know you had, regardless of how long it takes for the charge to appear on your account?
Quite, it appears we live in a world where people want to scheme, where people try to get as much as they can for nothing not caring who they scam in the process.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, Miles+Bonus Blue
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Quite, it appears we live in a world where people want to scheme, where people try to get as much as they can for nothing not caring who they scam in the process.
I hope it's clear that this isn't my intention...

My main concern is that, by processing the transaction three to four months later, it actually makes it harder to know intuitively if the transaction is genuine or fraudulent. One of the best things about using Amex is that the app immediately sends a notification when transactions are made using the card; when this notification popped up today, my immediate thought was that it must have been a fraudulent transaction as I hadn't purchased anything from BA for so long.

It's also likely that some cards will expire or be lost / stolen in the interim period.

As for trying to get out of paying for something that I purchased, this is definitely not the case. However, I honestly can't remember what I purchased on board on either leg of this trip; I doubt that this is unusual for a long weekend in Prague!

Cheers

Jimmy
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by crazyjimmy

My main concern is that, by processing the transaction three to four months later, it actually makes it harder to know intuitively if the transaction is genuine or fraudulent. One of the best things about using Amex is that the app immediately sends a notification when transactions are made using the card; when this notification popped up today, my immediate thought was that it must have been a fraudulent transaction as I hadn't purchased anything from BA for so long.

It's also likely that some cards will expire or be lost / stolen in the interim period.

As for trying to get out of paying for something that I purchased, this is definitely not the case. However, I honestly can't remember what I purchased on board on either leg of this trip; I doubt that this is unusual for a long weekend in Prague!

Cheers

Jimmy
+1.

Purchases posting soon after the event makes it much easier to keep track of purchases, especially when are receipts are difficult to obtain, or unobtainable. I really don't want to start keeping copious notes of when, and how much, I paid for every cup of tea or percy pig.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:28 pm

My comments were not aimed at anyone in particular, Jimmy and certainly not in your direction. It was a general comment about one particular unsavoury aspect of modern society. I occasionally see it in my professional life too, more often than I'd like.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Smirnoff Blue

Why is Smirnoff Blue not on BoB ? Why still the red one from pre BoB days 🤓
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
First BoB flight

Well, I did my first flight in Eurotraveller with BoB today . Frankfurt to Heathrow early afternoon.
I think about 1 in 12 people took up any BoB (i.e. one person in every two rows).
Mostly cups of tea, although how that might have tasted when they were made with hot water from an old service teapot, I couldn't say.

The passengers on the plane looked bored and tired, the cabin crew looked the same.
I won't pay through the nose for things that BA used to include in the ticket price so didn't partake.

It was a tedious hour which no-one seemed to enjoy in the slightest. I certainly didn't and I'm now convinced that BA has nothing to offer me in this market sector that other airlines can't do better or more cheaply.

Given all the hype - thought I'd add my sixpence worth ...

Oh - and I still think the current seats are horribly uncomfortable.

Last edited by camdentown; Jun 23, 2017 at 12:50 pm Reason: added seating comment
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheers

Jimmy
I think this is a very reasonable complaint to put to Amex regarding the behaviour of one of their merchants.

Not saying make it a dispute, just saying you could put in a complaint if you wished.

But if BA stops taking Amex I will be very unhappy with you
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
Just to let you all know: I was on a SH flight tonight and heard the cabin crew and a passenger talking when he was buying some BOB things. They had a new salad (like the harissa chicken one) that looked like feta and what looked like a variety of green beans and pulses. The passenger said he didn't see that in the menu, and the cabin crew said it's because there's new menus for July but they just haven't been loaded yet. No idea what else might change on the menus though.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
Just to let you all know: I was on a SH flight tonight and heard the cabin crew and a passenger talking when he was buying some BOB things. They had a new salad (like the harissa chicken one) that looked like feta and what looked like a variety of green beans and pulses. The passenger said he didn't see that in the menu, and the cabin crew said it's because there's new menus for July but they just haven't been loaded yet. No idea what else might change on the menus though.
Just checked the BA site, I think some things have changed?

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...|||||L2|||||||

I don't recall seeing the 'Posh Club Sandwich' on the menu before!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Just checked the BA site, I think some things have changed?

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...|||||L2|||||||

I don't recall seeing the 'Posh Club Sandwich' on the menu before!
I suspect the super wholefood salad is what was loaded on my flight today. And I may be imagining things, but have the crisps gone up by 10p? I always thought they were £1 exactly.
Appears to be a new gin too: Sipsmith London Dry Gin. Finally, something other than the disgusting Bombay Sapphire!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
I suspect the super wholefood salad is what was loaded on my flight today. And I may be imagining things, but have the crisps gone up by 10p? I always thought they were £1 exactly.
Appears to be a new gin too: Sipsmith London Dry Gin. Finally, something other than the disgusting Bombay Sapphire!
The Beef sandwich disappeared and replaced by the Posh Club. It didn't impress one passenger:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.