Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Wow, £16 for the Monopole mini-bottle.

No wonder CE is so expensive
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BA6948
85 yr old grandad travelling alone denied water on 5 hour flight as he doesn't own a payment card. Arrived home very upset @British_Airways
If that is indeed true, nice one
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by T8191

Actual Mini Bottle (37.5ml) not the smaller CE ones so would probably cost £10-12 in the shops so not so bad.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by T8191

It is not the same size as the small bottles in CE.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
I was unable to upload this earlier.

Adding to Watergate on BOB go-date, this met weary travellers seeking out an oasis for liquid refreshment at Heathrow:

Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Re the water, let's be honest here, has anyone actually been refused tap water? On my (admittedly limited sample of 1 flight) the crew were quite happy to go to the galley and get tap water when requested. Between rows 1 and 5 I saw them serve 2 bottles (chargeable) and 2 glasses of tap water (free).

They didn't get past row 5 so not sure if they would have continue to be quite so keen to head back to the galley further down the A321 I was travelling on.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Why? We can't live without food or drink for 2 hours? We are adults, not babies, and have the capacity to tolerate frustration.
Why should we tolerate frustration on a service that we are paying for? Aren't we entitled to some basic comfort? I can understand food maybe if you haven't had to run to the gate from a connecting flight or delayed ground transport, but if I need water I don't want to wait 2 hours, plus whatever delays there may be before landing to drink. The cabin maybe be hot, there may be turbulence, I may have a headache, so 2 hours before getting water is too long.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I thought this thread was for posting feedback on actual personal experiences of the buy on board service?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by mrow
Re the water, let's be honest here, has anyone actually been refused tap water?
Yes; various reports in posts.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I thought this thread was for posting feedback on actual personal experiences of the buy on board service?
​​​​​​​What's not relevant?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mrow
Re the water, let's be honest here, has anyone actually been refused tap water?
Originally Posted by PrimaVista
Yes; various reports in posts.
Oops, apologies, I admit to not having read all the pages in this thread and feel suitably chastised. Thanks for the correction PrimaVista and apologies for my ignorance.

It seems my crew were going 'above and beyond' in their willingness to interrupt service and provide tap water to thirsty passengers.

Shame that 'above and beyond' on BA is now possible to be measured by a willingness of crew to provide water to a thirsty passenger.

I've never gone thirsty on an AA flight in my life, even when their service was far, far lower than the respective BA offering.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Bacon rolls are in that category, and given that it can take 15 minutes to organise, I imagine bacon rolls won't be on the Domestics. Though INV may get lucky!
I'll report back later in the week - However it wasn't offered ABZ-LHR yesterday.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
It seems to me that other airlines actually have more staff per aircraft to at least give a the buy on board a full run of the plane.

My experience was that the crew didn't get half way down the cabin on a band 1. One payment machine didn't work.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
On top of disgruntled ET passengers, this debacle is also affecting CE passengers. A tweet:

"@British_Airways yes. Only two beers put in club for the round trip. Once they are gone club customers have to buy from M&S trolley! Crazy"
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PrimaVista
​​What's not relevant?
Good question. I must have misinterpreted the thread. I had assumed it was for Flyertalkers experiences only but it would seem I was wrong.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by BA6948
On top of disgruntled ET passengers, this debacle is also affecting CE passengers. A tweet:

"@British_Airways yes. Only two beers put in club for the round trip. Once they are gone club customers have to buy from M&S trolley! Crazy"

Not crazy from the POV of BA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.