Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Maybe BA employed the ex Iraqi Minister for Propaganda

S
Comical Ali was...comical. Comical Cruz isn't. Full stop.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I see the orange airline has admitted that it has no way of accounting for what's been sold. Wonder if this applies at BA.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...k-RECEIPT.html
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by srbrenna
I see the orange airline has admitted that it has no way of accounting for what's been sold. Wonder if this applies at BA.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...k-RECEIPT.html

I think someone upthread said that they can't keep track of the duty free, so would be amazed if they could keep track of this...
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
All I need now is for some AA FA's to join in
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Are they not all too old to know how to work the internet?
They are however very adept at taking payments with the all-in-one card reader/receipt printer device. BA CC were set up to appear incompetent by management failing to give them any relevant training on what seems to be a very awkward system.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by psollitt
Well given the constant twitter torrent of how BOB is systemwide failing I think the have just put fingers in ears and are going "...LALALALA.." very very loudly to deal with the problem !
I've popped on Twitter a bit to see the responses over the last few days. It doesn't seem that bad to me. Most of the tweets are replying to the usual issues.

I'd say BA might be happy with it.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Sure BoB was successful on my LHR-MAN flight earlier. Some sales and didn't see anything going wrong and they made it down the plane in plenty of time.

Had a quick glance at a Finnair tablet combo today and they're using 7 or 8" Samsung tablets with the bit stick on the back for cards etc.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
I've popped on Twitter a bit to see the responses over the last few days. It doesn't seem that bad to me. Most of the tweets are replying to the usual issues.

I'd say BA might be happy with it.
And I think that could well be the case.

We do know from countless experiences reported here, in which FT-ers describe - often with direct quotes - the nature of responses* received from Customer Relations in relation to all manner of issues, that the airline sadly no longer sets itself high standards.

And so the fact that many pax have been denied the chance to buy any of the items so glamorously publicised will not trouble BA unduly (other than the revenue lost, perhaps).

(*sorry to say I've had one of those responses myself ....)
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by londonba2014
First flight with BoB, LHR-CPH on BA418 this morning.

System was unable to connect up apparently - which meant no onboard service available - some v unhappy passengers - crew ended up shutting the curtain of the galley as I guess they had nothing else to do!?
Flying back on BA819 tonight, soon after take off it was announced machines were not working - inflight service started about 40mins after leaving and as payment was done manually it never got past the 5th row of ET.

Crew still running about the back of the plane whilst we were coming over Hounslow - was half expecting a go around.

People peeved yet again, I was quite content with my Kronenbourg Multipack from CPH Duty Free (works out much cheaper than BoB for anyone passing through!)

Last edited by londonba2014; Jan 15, 2017 at 12:01 pm Reason: Sp
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Just been on BA1454 LHR>EDI and the systems packed in so every transaction was done on paper.

This was my second flight with BoB and first was fine. I personally don't mind the concept but it seems to be totally let down by the tech at the moment.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Just landed on BA781 from ARN. I was in Club Europe. (17 passengers in 7 rows). Took over an hour before we were asked if we wanted a drink and food was served around 1:15 after takeoff. No choice of meal left by row 3. Just pasta with prawns. So 6 pax got a choice.

An announcement was made by crew that one in two transactions in economy was not going through and had to be done again therefore causing the delay.

I spoke with the one crew member serving the Club cabin and she said they had big problems on the way out to ARN so decided the other Club crew member should go to Economy and help.

By the time we finished our meal the seatbelt signs were being switched on.

Not a good experience. The BoB service is impacting Club Europe too.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
Just landed on BA781 from ARN. I was in Club Europe. (17 passengers in 7 rows). Took over an hour before we were asked if we wanted a drink and food was served around 1:15 after takeoff. No choice of meal left by row 3. Just pasta with prawns. So 6 pax got a choice.

An announcement was made by crew that one in two transactions in economy was not going through and had to be done again therefore causing the delay.

I spoke with the one crew member serving the Club cabin and she said they had big problems on the way out to ARN so decided the other Club crew member should go to Economy and help.

By the time we finished our meal the seatbelt signs were being switched on.

Not a good experience. The BoB service is impacting Club Europe too.
On an ARN flight, one crew member to serve 17 CE pax is within the normal crewing level. CE food running out of choice has nothing to do with BOB.
Although it does sound like the SCCM was maybe a bit distracted and therefore slow to serve you.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Bob on 4 hour flight to LPA

Our first experience of BOB yesterday.

12 rows of CE and we were in row 14 on a 320. Announcement after take off that this was the crews first time and asked for patience if there were any teething problems. Also said 5 cc on board, three looking after CE and just 2 for the main cabin.

Trolley did not appear until 40 mins after take off. First row had orders of sandwiches and drinks except for 2 lads who specifically asked for tap water. It took 20 mins for first row to be served due to problems with the technology. Crew apologetic and a bit flustered.

We got tea and a snack but the tea was just past lukewarm even at that time.

Cabin was about 80% full and I guess the same percentage ordered food and/or drink. People seemed to know about BoB and I heard no complaints about it. Service took 90 mins. Tap water was delivered about half an hour after being asked for, those lads had Pret picnics including water, so it seems they were testing the system?

Lots of people from Y using the front toilet due to there being no access to the rear for Such a long time. Crew in the front did not like this but there was no option

Announcement after landing included apologies for the slow service.

Things can only get better - but lukewarm tea is my personal red line!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
On an ARN flight, one crew member to serve 17 CE pax is within the normal crewing level. CE food running out of choice has nothing to do with BOB.
Although it does sound like the SCCM was maybe a bit distracted and therefore slow to serve you.
maybe it is within normal crew level but I've done that same flight in Club 6 times in the past year and its always been two crew on the 767 looking after Club Europe.

I understand that the CE meal has nothing to do with BoB but just adds to the overall feeling of crap service.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
maybe it is within normal crew level but I've done that same flight in Club 6 times in the past year and its always been two crew on the 767 looking after Club Europe.

I understand that the CE meal has nothing to do with BoB but just adds to the overall feeling of crap service.
Yes, I can understand that"
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LSunbury
We got tea and a snack but the tea was just past lukewarm even at that time.
I'd not be happy if i paid for tea or coffee and it was just lukewarm.

I wonder if crew have been trained on giving refunds. Does the payment system even support it, or would passengers be directed to customer service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.