Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
My bolding.

This is extremely worrying. I understood that there was supposed to be a massive investment in CW coming.
£400M investment apparently! This was in the investors presentations last autumn, if I am not mistaken?

What does it mean by paid deal? Does this mean BoB is coming to Long Haul? Or am I reading that wrongly?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
Looks like BA is their biggest client in the Inflight Retail Services sector, depending on how much they do for SAA:
http://www.tourvest.co.za/operations.asp?subID=3

And they do have their fingers in many pies down in South Africa, and it looks like most tourists would have spent money at least one of their businesses during a visit - know I have!
Slightly humorous but their website is still under construction...

http://www.tourvestinflightretail.com
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
my favourite tweet of the day

Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:48 am

The lack of catering/service on so many flights is probably BA speak for "after extensive research, customers have told us they prefer not to be offered anything on our services".
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by Secretsquirrel.return

Water is available from our portable water supply (aircraft tank water) and can be requested by a customer but only delivered after the pay service is finished.
This is just downright mean. What a nasty company BA has become.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by studio76
This is just downright mean. What a nasty company BA has become.
Very sad indeed
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:59 am

[QUOTE=studio76;27770118]This is just downright mean. What a nasty company BA has become.[/QUOTE

The taste of aircraft tank water. Mmm. Although I think customers would be wrong to assume a free glass of water would be mineral water. Scoop up from the nearest toilet almost.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Nicksta
The whole campaign certainly doesn't make me feel better about M&S. But, for BA, it is simply a shameful display. When I fly, I want to have some confidence that somewhere there are some smart minds running the show. That doesn't match my experiences lately.

This hasn't been a brand-builder for M&S, though. Honestly, it just gives me M&S fatigue and seems to remind us that they, too, are out of touch with their customers.
A post from yesterday.

Amidst all I've read to date about the whole subject of BoB and its hapless implementation, this succinct comment by Nicksta - perhaps more than any other - really did strike a chord with me.

When thinking of organisations where you would want total confidence that that there are competent people 'running the show' .... then your booked airline would indeed be a definite example. Another one might be your domestic gas supplier.

Okay ....sure .... we're just talking about mere sandwiches & coffee here ; hardly matters of life & death. But ultimately it's also about corporate culture, and a relentless focus on high standards at all times - whether that involves the condition of the aircraft, its maintenance, the refuelling operation etc etc.

Each day we learn a little more about BoB - and today there has been much talk about what goes on behind the scenes - all of which is very interesting. And we now know stuff about the different suppliers and parties involved in the contract, and the various logistics & processes. There have been implications in some posts that parties other than BA might be to blame (in part, at least) for the many BoB failings as reported by FT-ers.

But here's the bottom line : there is only one organisation who must carry the can for the lack of satisfactory onboard service : British Airways. It was BA - and BA alone - who made the decision to introduce this policy change. Not DHL, not Tourvest, not M&S.

If I stay overnight at the Ritz, and next morning they cannot provide breakfast as advertised & agreed, then there will be little consolation in hearing copious explanations as to why things went wrong (the F&B manager forgot to order the food/the delivery driver didn't turn up/we didn't expect so many guests/our POS systems lack the functionality to add the breakfast cost to your bill etc etc .....).

I will consider the Ritz, and the Ritz alone, as being responsible - nobody else. I would however have genuine sympathy for the dining room staff if it's clear that they themselves have been let down by their own internal management.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by BA6948
Another ATH-LHR flight (BA633) departed without catering loaded... It is becoming very entertaining I have to say!
Surely this means LHR-ATH also departed without catering,or did they just sell all stock om LHR-ATH?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex
Surely this means LHR-ATH also departed without catering,or did they just sell all stock om LHR-ATH?
Nobody knows. It might be also that the food was loaded by the machines did not work on the way down to ATH. So instead of being embarassed, they have decided to say that no food was loaded and that passengers needed to cater for themselves. Announcements are then made before boarding. Mind this is also great for the penny pinching Percy Cruz as it saves BA money that would have been given in service recovery vouchers when the airline had free food on board. I guess the margins are getting bigger now contributing to larger bonuses for the management.

BA to fly to Starve.

I am on a LHR-BRU on friday at 09:45. I will be buy a delicious breakfast panini (omelette and bacon) for €4.50 that I will eat on board while being entertained by this whole mess (I am sorry for the cabin crews however). BA won't see a penny nor avios from me on board.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
But here's the bottom line : there is only one organisation who must carry the can for the lack of satisfactory onboard service : British Airways. It was BA - and BA alone - who made the decision to introduce this policy change. Not DHL, not Tourvest, not M&S.

If I stay overnight at the Ritz, and next morning they cannot provide breakfast as advertised & agreed, then there will be little consolation in hearing copious explanations as to why things went wrong (the F&B manager forgot to order the food/the delivery driver didn't turn up/we didn't expect so many guests/our POS systems lack the functionality to add the breakfast cost to your bill etc etc .....).

I will consider the Ritz, and the Ritz alone, as being responsible - nobody else. I would however have genuine sympathy for the dining room staff if it's clear that they themselves have been let down by their own internal management.
Precisely, this is a BA initiated, implemented and managed debacle. Given the details provided by secretsquirrel about the lack of training, preparation etc, one does wonder whether this sort of problem is prevalent through the whole of BA.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by scillyisles
Precisely, this is a BA initiated, implemented and managed debacle. Given the details provided by secretsquirrel about the lack of training, preparation etc, one does wonder whether this sort of problem is prevalent through the whole of BA.
It is prevelant as Alex Cruz said cost cutting is a mindset. If you don't find a way to cut cots every day, you failed your job. That's why we have seen all these cuts last year.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:52 pm

In the meantime another CE passenger gets the hit and tweets:

@British_Airways Club Europe under-catered yet again means no food for me! I don't know why I even bother... #servicefail
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:56 pm

And another flight without ET catering (twitter message). This time it is RAK-LGW (almost 4h flight):

@British_Airways when we landed at Marrakech an announcement was made saying BA flight to London had no food left and if everyone can buy
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:59 pm

Another one reporting that the LGW-RAK was not catered too. So both legs were operated without the catering that will change your perception about airline food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.