Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
My 7am weekly commute to Europe 'benefitted' from BOB today but take up was very light. From row 5 to 10 only 2 cups of Coffee were sold on a 3/4 full A319 and I didn't hear any takers for the hot food pre orders. Some had brought Pret drinks with them. As I had grabbed breakfast in GF I gave it a miss but the crew seemed OK with the service. SCCM handled CE with 2 on the BOB trolley and one in the Galley at the back.

I normally take EasyJet to LGW on the return at the end of the week and their BOB operation is pretty slick if you are sitting in the first few rows as they ask if you want anything before they start the trolley run and it is all very civilised and friendly. In fact the whole inflight experience if you are a Easy plus card holder sitting in row 1 certainly tops what BA now offers in ET for a GCH. Lounges set them apart but for the fare difference you could buy lounge access if it really mattered to you and some of the outstation Lounges are pretty poor to be honest.

Looking at some other experiences on here it is all pretty shocking that someone thought it was a good idea to implement such a complex risk sharing supply chain arrangement across the network in one go without adequate training on the final systems or a number of shakedown flights on a varied selection of routes/aircraft. It is almost as if no-one is left in the BA Senior Leadership Team who remembers T5 going live.

Maybe they do but they just don't care any more.

Last edited by Robespierre; Jan 16, 2017 at 11:11 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
My flight back yesterday lunchtime into Heathrow was slightly chaotic. They usually have two flight attendants serving the meals and drinks in business class but straight away when service commenced one of them went to the back to help with the stupid M and S servings. She said to the remaining colleague if you need a hand call me.

So the result was a much slower and reduced business class meal and drink service. My glass was left empty a few times for extended periods which never usually happens !

I can understand the other FA going back after the meal service is complete, but not before it even begins !
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
The fact that flights are going out without catering, particularly 4 hour flights, sows a seed of doubt in my mind about the culture of BA as a whole. I assume they still have drinks for purchase??
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Robespierre
SCCM handled CE with 2 on the BOB trolley and one in the Galley at the back.
I had a similar arrangement on my AMS flight this week. The 2 crew managed to get to the third row in ET before having to prepare the cabin for landing and 1 crew member was just in the rear galley doing nothing.

Perhaps they should change it so they now start a service from the rear as well and work to meet? Just seems inefficient having a crew member doing bugger all in the back galley.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ANstar
I had a similar arrangement on my AMS flight this week. The 2 crew managed to get to the third row in ET before having to prepare the cabin for landing and 1 crew member was just in the rear galley doing nothing.

Conscientious objector perhaps ......

He/she was strongly opposed on principle to BoB : "I refuse to serve "
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Cent, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hilton Diam(given it though I'd never stayed in a Hilton)
I feel so sorry for the crew. I flew to Bergen and back at the weekend and was in CE. We had one member of crew serving about 15 passengers and they did a great job but they were clearly stressed as they were dealing not only with the CE cabin but with problems reported by ET crew with BoB.

Just after service, a member of crew from ET arrived to discuss numerous problems with the iPad and BoB. This distracted the crew member in CE for at least 15 mins and it ended with ET being served a variety of drinks and food for free as the system did not work.

It was clearly an embarrassment to the crew who were (in that very British way) trying to be sardonic about the BoB fiasco: row 1 D-F was free and a gentleman sitting in 2C asked if he could move to row 1 after take off. The excellent purser said "Certainly. There's no charge for you moving seat...yet!"

There were audible complaints from ET passengers and I cannot help but think that our once proud national carrier is simply being destroyed.

All praise to the crew: goodness only knows how they can go from being some of the finest crews in the sky to walking down the aisles asking for payment for a drink...
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by BA6948
Another ATH-LHR flight (BA633) departed without catering loaded... It is becoming very entertaining I have to say!
I was on a flight on A3 ATH-LHR yesterday and next to me was a couple of English gentleman who arrived in Athens on BA on Friday. They were so surprised when a free hot meal and unlimited drinks came to them. I asked them whether they think A3 offers better service and they said they will only fly A3 to Ath if they need to again.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Are you saying CE ran out of water and juice? What a complete disaster.
What is astonishing is that nobody seems to care in Waterside Tower. A public announcement with apologies should have been done. But hey Alex Cruz might think it is actually a great thing as it will save a few £££ on drinks given for free to CE passengers!
Food and drink in CE is complimentary, it is not included in the price of the ticket so you should be grateful for what you get.

Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:57 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Could not decide which thread to post this under as there are two, but thought people might like to see it, better late than never.

Here is a full video of the entire menu I made on my flight with BA on Friday.

Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I was on a flight on A3 ATH-LHR yesterday and next to me was a couple of English gentleman who arrived in Athens on BA on Friday. They were so surprised when a free hot meal and unlimited drinks came to them. I asked them whether they think A3 offers better service and they said they will only fly A3 to Ath if they need to again.
I fly A3 and even in economy their on board service is excellent, to the point that I now exclusively fly them to Greece and have joined their Miles and Bonus programme. They're an excellent regional carrier.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(

BA to fly to Starve.
I just did a little wee
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Well I've just booked eight EU flights, NONE of them on BA as I really can't be arsed to pay for substandard service at an over inflated price.

If I have to take the risk of there being no food or not enough I would rather fly on Easy or Ryan and at least be able to eat or drink something and with a ticket price at a fraction of the cost.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:26 pm

Well it's been busy in here evenings all ....

Originally Posted by wrp96
This I don't understand. So "we're going to take more money from you to move OR we're going to move you up when you didn't request it and then we are going to give you the absolute lowest priority of getting anything on the plane - not just in your own cabin."
Well an upgrade if it's due to seating and loads it will not charged . As apposed to a paid upgrade, but even a with a last min paid upgrade there may not be a chance to load catering for the customer.

But I agree on your point totally. That individual becomes the last to be served .

Originally Posted by layz
I had a bacon roll on NCL-LHR, no issue at all. The crew took pre-orders for those wanting rolls (I think there was three of us). I think LGW-JER would definitely not get this offering. LBA and MAN is probably crew and load dependent.
In this flight I can assure you that hot food should not have been a option under BA service and product.

Just another instance of confusion of products and service. Which will only confuse customers who fly on this route regularly.

Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Thanks secretsquirrel.return for the really helpful insight.

I still have a lingering question that you may choose to ignore if deemed sensitive:

How does the agreement with M&S work -- are there selling targets/requirements or are FAs on commission?

Is there a "trial period" where they see how successful it is before deciding to modify/scrap/keep it?

Thanks!
There is no information that I can give you on any of that, only because is all speculation and I don't want to go down that route.

But cc make 10% of total sales

Another problem that is happening and it linked to the ATH flights mentioned above (along with others) that have had no food service. If none of the POS work we can revert to a manual bar and process credit cards the old way with slips (hand written) . I know a lot of you have issues with this. (So do I ) I am not sure how we stand on this with in PCI DDS.

On most of these flights they only load 30-50 slips once they are used up that's it , we can not sell any food or beverage AT ALL . So on some flights the return sector has been told that there is no service, some have been told the reason why and some I believe have been told that there is no food loaded even though there is. Personally I don't think anyone should fill out a manual slip in an aircraft (just my advice ) . Just another problem is the mix.

Safe flying

::::::::::::::::::::::::
My username is not original I have used in memory of poster somewhere else who was a true hero to many at BA .
:::::::::::::::::::::::
The information posted here are my views and opinion . They do not reflect the official view or opinion or any other individual or company.

Last edited by Secretsquirrel.return; Jan 17, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:33 pm

It's all relevant to this new service and standards.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/skift...?client=safari

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/skift...?client=safari

http://www.forbes.com/sites/douggoll.../#73b2601140de

https://www.google.de/amp/s/leonardm...e-airline/amp/

Last one is an interesting POV .

Safe flying

::::::::::::::::::::::::
My username is not original I have used in memory of poster somewhere else who was a true hero to many at BA .
The information posted here are my views and opinion . They do not reflect the official view or opinion or any other individual or company.

Last edited by Secretsquirrel.return; Jan 17, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Secretsquirrel.return

In this flight I can assure you that hot food should not have been a option under BA service and product.

Just another instance of confusion of products and service. Which will only confuse customers who fly on this route regularly.
I hope when things settle down they'll reconsider offering the bacon roll on a NCL-LHR service. The crew had no problem fulfilling the hot food orders on the flight I was on.

Then again, what will happen when CE is launched on the domestics? Presumably one member of crew will be dedicated to CE and they may genuinely not have enough time for hot food orders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.