Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orbitmic
However, more importantly, I have the impression that BoB has changed the dynamic of the relationship between crew and passengers quite significantly. It seems that some passengers overtly respect crew members less (including in their safety capacity) as a result and are plainly less pleasant to them and that some crew are conscious and unhappy about that difference even though I'm sure that others might still like the new service. To me, the atmosphere was clearly less friendly and more tensed on both flights, and my partner (who doesn't feel as negatively towards BoB as I do) had the exact same feeling and was quite touched/saddened by what the crew member she talked to told her. I'm sure many members will make fun of me for it, but this change actually makes me rather sad, on behalf of passengers and crew members alike.
Interesting.

As an infrequent flier I have to say my communications with the vast majority of economy short haul cabin crew on any airline I've flown on have never gone further than answering the usual 'tea or coffee'' question.
Maybe I look like Victor Meldrew?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
However, more importantly, I have the impression that BoB has changed the dynamic of the relationship between crew and passengers quite significantly. It seems that some passengers overtly respect crew members less (including in their safety capacity) as a result and are plainly less pleasant to them and that some crew are conscious and unhappy about that difference even though I'm sure that others might still like the new service. To me, the atmosphere was clearly less friendly and more tensed on both flights, and my partner (who doesn't feel as negatively towards BoB as I do) had the exact same feeling and was quite touched/saddened by what the crew member she talked to told her. I'm sure many members will make fun of me for it, but this change actually makes me rather sad, on behalf of passengers and crew members alike.
This is an interesting observation, since I have never seen this on LCC's. I have generally found U2 to have a 'friendlier' atmosphere onboard unless you get an extra good BA crew (I recognise that this is partly an age and taste thing - I prefer younger crews are who willing to joke around more, others prefer the more serious crews). Having said that, U2, and FR for that matter, always seem a lot stricter in their passenger safety checks in my experience. I have had several BA flights recently where the crew didn't check seatbelts before landing - I've never experienced this on U2.

Having said all of that, I've had some excellent crews on my usual route to and from GIB recently, since it changed over to MF. It's actually encouraged me to choose BA more often prior to BOB.

However, in relation to the atmosphere in general, I would guess that some of this stems from the crews (justified) discomfort with the frustrations of the BOB introduction creating a slightly different atmosphere onboard. I would hope that as they become more familiar with it, this will improve.

Just as a point of reference, I've now done 5 flights since BOB - 1 excellent, 2 average, and 2 extremely poor.

One other comparison to U2 and Monarch - I generally find the crews are pretty keen to have a chat while processing the payment. So far on BA this hasn't happened, as the crew are grappling with the technology. I really hope the BA crew start to relax and chat a bit more as they get used to the system - it is a real loss in the connection between the passenger and airline if they are too busy to engage in any small talk.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
Lets hope this is only in the transition stage and not just a product of BoB. EI certainly do not have this problem and the relationship between CC and pax is generally very good. Many of the CC would have been around when full service was offered on EI as well. Maybe after everyone gets used to the change that the dynamic will return to previous and better levels
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
That baby should definitely be named Alex
Surely 'Bob' would be more appropriate?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Much bettie this afternoon on the ABZ - LHR service. Boss guy makes the announcement and reiterated three times that no cash was accepted. Service was completed (obviously not many takers) way before we started descending.

Had a wee chat with the guy as I was waiting for the toilet. He said that there have been a LOT of teething problems - he did a LPA and a WAW where there was just no catering loaded. He thinks that the service should be more "hybrid" - passengers should be offered complimentary tea and coffee and Gold card holders should get a free drink of their choice - can't say I disagree with that.

And he topped it all off with this announcement at the end - "Those of you on the right hand side of the aircraft have some amazing view of central London as we are coming in tonight.....I think that those of you on the left can see Croydon."

LOL!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Having been through 10 experiences, how would I improve this process?
1) Put some 80 ml cuplets of free water on the trolley and BA shouldn't lose sleep over any lost sales. (Incidentally I have seen plenty of free water handed out, I've not witnessed any pushback on that first hand).
2) Put some meal deals on the menu, competitively priced, and put them on screen 1 of TourPOS. At the moment there are just 2 options, "Food" and "Drink", they could put half a dozen meal deals leading straight to payment and save a lot of key pressing.
3) Make the TourPOS and bluetooth printer a lot more robust and simplify the menu process. Have a 3rd backup device on board.
4) Allow pre-purchase via MMB and/or allow Highlife Shop vouchers to be bought offline, for those who don't have credit cards or Avios.
5) Get contactless working ASAP! [This is coming apparently].
6) Get the barcode visible offline on the BA App (and workable under TourPOS).
7) One or two hot items which aren't sandwiches (Cornish Pasty? Vegetarian Pasty).
8) Allow Newcastle travellers bacon baps! They are actually quite tasty in my view.
9) Sort out the naming conventions for the food items. The Swiss Mountain chocolate bar has those two words prominently on the product, but they don't appear on the drop down menu on TourPOS.
10) Add a scan food option on TourPOS so the staff don't have to keep searching for items. And/or order the items on the screen by Tray ID.
11) On A319s, with 3 crew, arrange the second trolley so that it stays in the galley but has the rarely used items available for quick retrieval, by changing and labelling the internal trays.
And, probably above all,
12) Please BA, allow the SCCM some leeway on customer service remediation. In particular if a flight is delayed more than 30 minutes crack open the Highland Spring. Due to the commission on sales, I can see crew going mad to throw away the margin, but a bit of give/take may be a good investment.

Once again spot on CWS thanks for that post, you are spot on with your improvements we have feed many of these suggestions above back to the company.

Water is being looked at.
We have suggested quick buy meal deals.
Contactless should be up and running by the end of the month.
Food does scan when the scanner works.
Trolley setup are being looked at.
And of course the SCCM or Capt should be able to override service standards in a delay, but BA have been removing this power from both for many years now.

Originally Posted by MBDublin
Lets hope this is only in the transition stage and not just a product of BoB. EI certainly do not have this problem and the relationship between CC and pax is generally very good. Many of the CC would have been around when full service was offered on EI as well. Maybe after everyone gets used to the change that the dynamic will return to previous and better levels
I do hope so, I fly EI a lot and the cc are amazing. But I feel their POS system is much smoother and straightforward to work why BA did not just adopt a similar system I do not know. I am sure time and changes to the ipad and product will solve this issue. But it will need changed to the badly designed process.

Safe flying

:::::::::::::::::::::::
My username is not original I have used in memory of poster somewhere else who was a true hero to many at BA
::::::::::::::::::::::
The information posted here are my views and opinion . They do not reflect the official view or opinion or any other individual or company
:::::::::::::::::::::::
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by stu1985

Had a wee chat with the guy as I was waiting for the toilet.

I guess a 'wee chat' makes for as good a conversation topic as any whilst waiting for the toilet ....
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Having been through 10 experiences, how would I improve this process?

1) Put some 80 ml cuplets of free water on the trolley and BA shouldn't lose sleep over any lost sales. (Incidentally I have seen plenty of free water handed out, I've not witnessed any pushback on that first hand).
2) Put some meal deals on the menu, competitively priced, and put them on screen 1 of TourPOS. At the moment there are just 2 options, "Food" and "Drink", they could put half a dozen meal deals leading straight to payment and save a lot of key pressing.
3) Make the TourPOS and bluetooth printer a lot more robust and simplify the menu process. Have a 3rd backup device on board.
4) Allow pre-purchase via MMB and/or allow Highlife Shop vouchers to be bought offline, for those who don't have credit cards or Avios.
5) Get contactless working ASAP! [This is coming apparently].
6) Get the barcode visible offline on the BA App (and workable under TourPOS).
7) One or two hot items which aren't sandwiches (Cornish Pasty? Vegetarian Pasty).
8) Allow Newcastle travellers bacon baps! They are actually quite tasty in my view.
9) Sort out the naming conventions for the food items. The Swiss Mountain chocolate bar has those two words prominently on the product, but they don't appear on the drop down menu on TourPOS.
10) Add a scan food option on TourPOS so the staff don't have to keep searching for items. And/or order the items on the screen by Tray ID.
11) On A319s, with 3 crew, arrange the second trolley so that it stays in the galley but has the rarely used items available for quick retrieval, by changing and labelling the internal trays.

And, probably above all,

12) Please BA, allow the SCCM some leeway on customer service remediation. In particular if a flight is delayed more than 30 minutes crack open the Highland Spring. Due to the commission on sales, I can see crew going mad to throw away the margin, but a bit of give/take may be a good investment.

I refuse to believe that this service would not be improved by accepting cash. I also find it hard to believe that they didn't at least talk to EI about how to implement this. They could have lifted their system and used it across. It works well on EI.

I have no issue with paying for a drink on short haul or even better get the lemon/chocolate biscuits on the menu and I'd buy them all, price irrelevant. I just think that if this is the way they are going it should be a lot more professionally delivered. The quality of the M&S stuff is all fine but so far in my experience the pos system being used is dreadful.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
A well known BBC News presenter - a friend of mine - flew up to GLA from LHR on Monday. On the flight she was sitting near the front of the aircraft and when the trolley came down she asked for a hot water and lemon (she'd already eaten in the lounge). There was a 'discussion' between the CC over whether she should be charged for the lemon. One male CC said "this is ridiculous". She wasn't charged.

Last edited by Dicksbits; Jan 18, 2017 at 8:03 pm
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:50 pm

Regarding the tension on board, I think it's an expectation management thing. EI pax for the most part don't expect to be fed for free and the ones that may would probably figure 'well that's just how it is on this airline' because EI isn't exactly a world famous brand. With Easyjet and Ryanair, well, people know what they're going to get by now.

In contrast, I think BA had a reputation as one of the 'good airlines' out there. The kind of airline people may have brought up as a contrast to say the U.S. airlines, the kind of brand people booked just to specifically fly with this brand. People who do not fly very often may not have heard anything about the downgrading of the brand and thus may be surprised/shocked, whereas frequent flyers might simply be resentful. Either way it makes for people in a bad mood on board.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:04 pm

I have to agree with the tense atmosphere onboard since BOB.

I've done just 2 hops (LGW-JER and back again) and my observations were very little take up for purchases. People were very much heads down and you could almost hear the grumbling :-/

I've been sat in rows 9 & 10 and on each occasion there's been no interest at all unless the middle/back of the plane. Even then (just glancing back over my shoulder), it seemed like 4/5 hot drinks was the total business done on the flight.

At 35 mins flight time and 1 trolley, I suspected this route would struggle to finish in time but it seems to be the exact opposite so far with service complete in just a few minutes!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
A well known BBC News presenter - a friend of mine - flew up to GLA from LHR on Monday. On the flight she was sitting near the front of the aircraft and when the trolley came down she asked for a hot water and lemon (she'd already eaten in the lounge). There was a 'discussion' between the CC over whether she should be charged for the lemon. One male CC said "this is ridiculous". She wasn't charged.
That's where the inconsistencies start. Hot water and lemon is not on the menu as a product so why was is it being offered? If I ask for something not on the menu but I know to be served in the Club bar, will I get a free one?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by crazyegg
I have to agree with the tense atmosphere onboard since BOB.

I've done just 2 hops (LGW-JER and back again) and my observations were very little take up for purchases. People were very much heads down and you could almost hear the grumbling :-/

I've been sat in rows 9 & 10 and on each occasion there's been no interest at all unless the middle/back of the plane. Even then (just glancing back over my shoulder), it seemed like 4/5 hot drinks was the total business done on the flight.

At 35 mins flight time and 1 trolley, I suspected this route would struggle to finish in time but it seems to be the exact opposite so far with service complete in just a few minutes!
JER will be an interesting one as they compete directly with Easyjet on this route.
I guess BA will just win for higher frequency and for Exec members
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
JER will be an interesting one as they compete directly with Easyjet on this route.
I guess BA will just win for higher frequency and for Exec members
Indeed, for people like me who value their BAEC status (lounge network and OW additional baggage allowance for me), they have me over a barrel.

I will continue to fly BA SH to help maintain these benefits but reserve the right to be grumpy about it :-)

On commuter routes like this, it seems 3/4 of the plane are Silvers or Golds and I suspect most feel the same. I used to enjoy a cup of tea on the red eye and a G&T on the way back. Small things in the scheme of things but helped make this short flight pleasurable. I won't expense or pay for these things myself so I'll just do without from now on. It's a short flight.

The knock on effect of this bad feeling is that I haven't got a single LH BA flight booked for this year. All of these will be CX or QF instead.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by crazyegg
The knock on effect of this bad feeling is that I haven't got a single LH BA flight booked for this year. All of these will be CX or QF instead.
All this is why it might end up being a bad move for BA in the long term. While they make a few quid more on short haul they may lose the more lucrative long haul business that they really want.

Time will tell!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.