Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The fountain of c-w-s knowledge overflows again! Do you know his Account # and his current Avios stash?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
LHR MAN and return on Thursday - one week in - pretty hopeless! I was in 3F going up, no menus and whilst I had hoped to try the coffee, had no chance as the service got no farther than row 2. CC hugely embarrassed but despite all of them gathered around the cart, could not get the payment system to work. Apologised over the tannoy.
Returning, seated in 2F this time, the service came from the rear and reached me only after the captain had announced 20 minutes to landing! Again, CC really hacked off with the whole damn thing and full of apologies.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by T8191
The fountain of c-w-s knowledge overflows again! Do you know his Account # and his current Avios stash?
Account no private.Avios stash 2158375000^
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Good evening folks,

my 2nd BoB flight, back to BSL at 7.10pm.

A319 with light load: 72/107 in ET (67%).

One of two sale machines not working, no hot food orders as far as I could tell.

Quite a few purchases, around 10 I'd say, all < £5. Noticed one gentleman who was not happy at all when he was asked to pay for his drink.

Let me add that I don't like the payment machine. It is really difficult to cover the PIN code entering process in order for people not to see the PIN code.

Note that there was no rubbish collection at all...

Talked to a cabin crew member while waiting for the lavatory and she said that many crew members are unhappy with BoB, but also that it was easier and less stressful than expected because not many customers buy something. She added that on most flights something goes wrong with the machines.

Not impressed, really. The menu looks ok (although I expected it to be in every seat), but the choice is still not great. Only sandwiches as 'substantial meals', really?

Will reduce BA ETtravel this year and try to be more in the CE cabin if on BA.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
BoB could be a success as a friend has popped to Gibralter and on her flight they ran out of food before they got half way down.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:25 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Flying LGW-Marrakech this week, at the end of the flight the crew apologised over the tannoy for the fact that they had not been able to complete the drinks service in Y (full flight). If they can't achieve this on a >3hr flight, then there's not much hope for them!

I'm guessing BA management didn't stress test their payment systems to see if it would actually work to make the concept feasible on a short-haul flight! They just don't learn, do they!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by icegirl
BoB could be a success as a friend has popped to Gibralter and on her flight they ran out of food before they got half way down.
This is due to the ridiculously low amount of food they load on the route. Has happened on all 5 flights I've taken on this route.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
LHR to Bucharest this evening. I'd guess 80% of people were making food and drink purchases on a flight that was 70% full. I was in row 12 and it took a couple of hours before they got to me. A few rows at the back missed out and the crew were working flat out the whole time.

I get the feeling that they really need to find a way to speed up the payment process. It takes forever. I caved in, much to my better judgment, despite bringing onboard a couple of cans of Tribute and some crisps from the First lounge. Paid using avios and my barcode had disappeared from the App. Reappeared again when I had Internet access upon landing, so not sure what happened there.

My experience has consistently been that, if there are more than a handful of passengers making purchases on short flights, between a third and a half of passengers will miss out entirely. Until they can improve the payment speed, a full service appears to me to depend entirely on low uptake (putting aside all the technology problems)
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Silver
Their decision to go with BoB has lost them my custom. Having paid over £4k for a business flight to SIN, then the pitiful breakfast offerings at the LHR lounges, I will never fly BA again. My next trip to SIN will be with MH or CX.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:05 am

Another Madrid service today where the crew could not complete the service and made worse by sandwiches probably amounting to 3 or 4 in a trolley for a full Y lunchtime service.

BoB could work but I don't get how BA has failed to invest in the right technology and understanding route catering supply and demand. It's not as if BA has just launched their EU flights and they should know the customer base pretty well by now. Their customer base is, however, complex and not EasyJet and Ryanair - particularly if you are a passenger connecting from First or business long haul to domestic services!

It's time to book EasyJet or consider connecting services via Paris, Amsterdam or Frankfurt if you want to be treated decently. BA is seriously failing to do this and is intent on antagonising regular and irregular flyers. If you do fly BA intra Europe or on a domestic service, try and get a seat in the first few rows if you really want that morning hot drink or take food/packed lunch with you if you have to rush off the plane to a meeting at the other end.

And finally, a few words of thanks to the crews on my recent flights. I do not know how you maintain your patience with your employer and the tools they give you to deliver what they consider is a premium service. Budget Airways should be the new livery.

Last edited by kaizenflying; Jan 22, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
It's unbelievable there are so many issues with the payment system. Looks like zero testing was made. Not surprising really, as I bet the whole project was done on the cheap. It's hardly rocket science, many other companies figured out the BoB concept years ago. I really hope some people get fired for this debacle.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
So my Mrs loves a Gin in the plane. Where possible we travel business class, so no problem.

Say we have to travel economy.. Now my GF drinks Gin n Lemonade, rather than Tonic (goes back to her student days, dash lemonade as a mixer is MUCH cheaper than bottle of Tonic)...

So if say she would get through 3 or 4 on a flight, could we instead of paying rip off BA BoB prices, get a 70cl bottle of bargain basement Gordon's from the duty free, and a few cans of simple lemonade from Boots or Pret?

We could of course bring with us some plastic disposable cups.

Anything to stop us on-board, mixing some lovely Gin and Lemomades and enjoying them throughout the flight? Thus, saving a fortune, compared to BA BoB prices??
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hungry
So my Mrs loves a Gin in the plane. Where possible we travel business class, so no problem.

Say we have to travel economy.. Now my GF drinks Gin n Lemonade, rather than Tonic (goes back to her student days, dash lemonade as a mixer is MUCH cheaper than bottle of Tonic)...

So if say she would get through 3 or 4 on a flight, could we instead of paying rip off BA BoB prices, get a 70cl bottle of bargain basement Gordon's from the duty free, and a few cans of simple lemonade from Boots or Pret?

We could of course bring with us some plastic disposable cups.

Anything to stop us on-board, mixing some lovely Gin and Lemomades and enjoying them throughout the flight? Thus, saving a fortune, compared to BA BoB prices??
Discussed in this thread Bring on Board... The exact rules on alcohol? BA allows it? with answer from cabin crew
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
Discussed in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ba-allows.html with answer from cabin crew
And in this thread there is another mechanism, using the mid sized bottles of gin. These would have 3 or 4 measures in them.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-services.html

Since I'm always full of bright ideas: You would save half the cost if you ditched either the Mrs or the GF.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
15:30 Salzburg to Gatwick yesterday. Nearly full flight.
Took off at 15:30, hot orders taken at 15:40 - 2 orders taken.
Trolley service started at row 4 at 15:50 - I'd say that there was a purchase made from 75% of the rows. When I looked back at 16:30 they were all done.

I said well done to the CC for the BOB service. I got a wry smile and a thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.