Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Originally Posted by Lewis King
Someone on our flight used a monzo card, seemed to work. CC commented on how bright the card was which is why I noticed
A few of us can still show off our Mondo card
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by AAtticus
A few of us can still show off our Mondo card
I'm still devastated they didn't choose my suggestion for their name change: Marmalade.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
For those without contactless cards, many phones now offer contactless payments. I use mine all the time - it's much easier than rummaging for a card as my phone is always to hand.

Does require NFC to be switched on though - not sure if that's permitted in flight is it?
And barclaycard sell wearable contactless bands and keyfobs. They actually charge for the product, but you can load it with a Visa or Mastercard.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: I don't fly enough
Originally Posted by Bluebirdnick
And barclaycard sell wearable contactless bands and keyfobs. They actually charge for the product, but you can load it with a Visa or Mastercard.
I've still got one of the free paytags they gave out before they started charging - the one you could stick to your phone (obviously this was before the advent of Apple/Android Pay)
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver
There was 5 crew on the A320 to Sofia this morning and id estimate about 60% full. They seemed relaxed and i didnt see any issues.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
My partner was sitting in 15D on the 958 to Munich this evening (offered POUG of £90 at online checkin which he didn't take for a 1h40m flight). Not only did he say there was no curtain dividing the cabins, he also said there were lots of grumbles from pax who weren't aware of the changes. He heard CC explaining to several people that "the changes came in 10 days ago now". The trollies completed their rumble down the aisle about 30 minutes after takeoff with not many takers. He couldn't believe a bacon roll was nearly £5. Fine for LCC he thought, with low ticket prices, but not a national airline with 'expensive' tickets like BA. One guy was particularly miffed he couldn't pay for his food and drink in cash, and as he claimed he didn't have any cards, the goods were returned.

Last edited by Dicksbits; Jan 24, 2017 at 5:32 pm
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
If BoB has taught me anything, it’s taught me that I will never ever pay for Club Europe with cash or miles again. Completely out of character, I POUGed myself to CE on a flight back from Madrid yesterday for a not insignificant amount of money as a little treat to myself. I was served Gordon’s (not the Bombay Sapphire offered for payment in ET), those god-awful mini bottles of Tempranillo (that brought back terrible memories of monthly WT flights to Singapore where it is served with abundance), unpalatable coffee (from the big silver pot of gloom), and a small (and barely edible, freezing cold) salad. When I asked to swap the gin and wine for those served on the BoB trolley, I was told “Sorry sir, Alex Cruz won’t let us”. I’m happy to report that when I replied “What a tool”, they nodded their heads enthusiastically!

Setting aside everything else, it now appears that, for status holders on Band 1-3 flights in Euro Traveller, if you are willing to splash out £15-£20 extra per sector, you will get better food, better spirits, better wine, better coffee, more legroom in the exit row, and the equivalent seat free next to you (~95% of the time with theoretical seating).

Surely even BA can see that this cannot continue like this. Would it really kill the airline to introduce CW-level alcohol to CE, or to give passengers in CE complimentary access to the BoB menu, at the very least? That would be a step in the right direction, but I don’t think even that would entice me back. They’d need to introduce long-haul meal service and free-flowing miniature bottles of LPGS and JW Blue to justify the premiums currently charged for those on point-to-point bookings. I certainly won’t be fooled again.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:30 pm

I was on the 957 returning from Munich. Crew seemed relaxed though were having trouble with one of the iPads. I think they made it down the whole plane. No idea if they ran out of anything. I could see a fair few people buying.

The curtain was drawn too.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
If BoB has taught me anything, it’s taught me that I will never ever pay for Club Europe with cash or miles again. Completely out of character, I POUGed myself to CE on a flight back from Madrid yesterday for a not insignificant amount of money as a little treat to myself. I was served Gordon’s (not the Bombay Sapphire offered for payment in ET), those god-awful mini bottles of Tempranillo (that brought back terrible memories of monthly WT flights to Singapore where it is served with abundance), unpalatable coffee (from the big silver pot of gloom), and a small (and barely edible, freezing cold) salad. When I asked to swap the gin and wine for those served on the BoB trolley, I was told “Sorry sir, Alex Cruz won’t let us”. I’m happy to report that when I replied “What a tool”, they nodded their heads enthusiastically!

Setting aside everything else, it now appears that, for status holders on Band 1-3 flights in Euro Traveller, if you are willing to splash out £15-£20 extra per sector, you will get better food, better spirits, better wine, better coffee, more legroom in the exit row, and the equivalent seat free next to you (~95% of the time with theoretical seating).

Surely even BA can see that this cannot continue like this. Would it really kill the airline to introduce CW-level alcohol to CE, or to give passengers in CE complimentary access to the BoB menu, at the very least? That would be a step in the right direction, but I don’t think even that would entice me back. They’d need to introduce long-haul meal service and free-flowing miniature bottles of LPGS and JW Blue to justify the premiums currently charged for those on point-to-point bookings. I certainly won’t be fooled again.
^ I fully agree with you.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:07 am

Would it really kill the airline to introduce CW-level alcohol to CE
I'm sure I read this was one of the improvements in the pipeline with the investment in the Club product. Wine in CE from large bottle poured by the CC?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold

The trouble for me is that I do only very limited LH so I need to be in CE frequently in order to maintain status. I don't think they should offer free items from BoB to CE- that would be too limiting. I think they should simply ensure that the catering on CE is up to scratch.

To be fair, I think with a little refinement the CE product is actually reasonably competitive. I don't think it's worse than that of the major competitors on intra European routes and it's not fair to compare it with short haul Asia or US routes as these are different markets.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
I'm sure I read this was one of the improvements in the pipeline with the investment in the Club product. Wine in CE from large bottle poured by the CC?
Or maybe the old seats back which were actually a bit bigger than economy
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum

Ouch, I was just considering buying a CE return, but when described as above...
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
So, first experience of BOB on LGW-JER yesterday, sat in first row of Y.

I really wouldn't have bothered on such a short flight but I was really hungry by the time I got on board the lunchtime flight.

Asked for the focaccia, response was "we don't have any hot food on board". I replied that I didn't think it was hot... Crew member pushed call button and the search began for the focaccia. Another crew member appeared with the cheese sandwich to which I said I wanted the focaccia. She then disappeared with the cheese sandwich. She then came back and said no focaccia was available. So I plumped for the cheese sandwich which by this time this had been taken back to the galley. So the first crew member then pushed the call button and asked for the cheese sandwich back again. What a palaver.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am confused as to why you think CE would offer a superior F&B offering? It is complimentary and CE has many other benefits such as seats at the front of the aircraft and middle seat tray table. Any issues pertaining to it, such as no meal loaded is not a matter of performance but goodwill Avios (say 2,000) can be issued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.