Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
For those without contactless cards, many phones now offer contactless payments. I use mine all the time - it's much easier than rummaging for a card as my phone is always to hand.

Does require NFC to be switched on though - not sure if that's permitted in flight is it?
As I stated in my reply to a similar question in the BoB concept thread, Apple/Android Pay support is highly unlikely. Both architectures require an internet connection on the NFC terminal (i.e. the Crew iPad) to handle the card tokenization. I'm not aware of any changes to this since then!

Original post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27452616-post1734.html
More detail on Apple Pay here: https://gendal.me/2014/09/10/a-simpl...-tokenization/

Regarding your comment on NFC in airplane mode, NFC is actually the same in cards and phones. It is itself is exceptionally short-range (within a few centimeters), and the NFC aerial is actually unpowered... the NFC terminal itself passes a small induced field which powers the NFC in the payment card/phone.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Yet again on my most frequent route today, the sandwiches ran out by the third row from the front, and service was still going on with 15 mins to land on an almost 3 hour flight. Crew were fantastic and extremely apologetic, it's not their fault at all, the technology is bad and somewhere at BA they seem to have real difficulty calculating how much to load. Surely better to overcater, at least at the beginning, to stop passengers first impression of BOB being disappointment.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by noubliepas
Yet again on my most frequent route today, the sandwiches ran out by the third row from the front, and service was still going on with 15 mins to land on an almost 3 hour flight. Crew were fantastic and extremely apologetic, it's not their fault at all, the technology is bad and somewhere at BA they seem to have real difficulty calculating how much to load. Surely better to overcater, at least at the beginning, to stop passengers first impression of BOB being disappointment.
Good to see there's a lot of take-up though (!?)
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by paul4040
Good to see there's a lot of take-up though (!?)
Not really - only a bacon roll and one sandwich were catered!!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
My wife flew to ATH this morning and was absolutely non-plussed. She foolishly assumed, on a 4 hour flight, the crew would reappear so she let the first trolley go past as they had only just taken off and she ate in the lounge. Big mistake!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by Raffles
My wife flew to ATH this morning and was absolutely non-plussed. She foolishly assumed, on a 4 hour flight, the crew would reappear so she let the first trolley go past as they had only just taken off and she ate in the lounge. Big mistake!
Did she not do a "bing bong" if she wanted something? Surely the crew don't just pass through once and then lock the trolleys away?!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Raffles
Why on earth wasn't she in CE?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by noubliepas
BA cannot possibly know how many would have sold had they been loaded. The only way to come up with any meaningful idea of what should be loaded for each flight is to overcater and monitor sales.

BA's approach is bad for the passengers, and BA, M&S, Tourvest and whatever other companies are getting a piece of this.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by HilFly
BA cannot possibly know how many would have sold had they been loaded. The only way to come up with any meaningful idea of what should be loaded for each flight is to overcater and monitor sales.

BA's approach is bad for the passengers, and BA, M&S, Tourvest and whatever other companies are getting a piece of this.
Just before the launch BA said they would overcater initially. Looks like it never happened but who knows whether it's BA or the suppliers to blame.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by layz
Just before the launch BA said they would overcater initially. Looks like it never happened but who knows whether it's BA or the suppliers to blame.
I struggle to imagine that any of them are stupid enough to put 2 sandwiches on a 3 hour flight, but it has repeatedly happened... Ultimately BA need to accept the responsibility and get it fixed.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
'To Fly, To Farce' on recent evidence! How can anyone with the faintest level of competence load one or two sandwiches on a flight? What's the financial risk of loading four? A couple of quid at cost?

I do hope this travesty of Customer Service gets abandoned before the 6-month contract expires. It's beyond laughable.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by T8191
'T...........
I do hope this travesty of Customer Service gets abandoned before the 6-month contract expires. It's beyond laughable.
Don't worry, it will soon disappear, the reason they named it BoB was so that they can soon say "What we meant by BoB was Bring on Board!"
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:14 am

Not the same level of detail as other posts, but my only experience of BoB was LHR-ABZ-LHR.

My first time flying LHR-ABZ.

BoB on the way out seemed slow and painful. Lots of pained expressions on CC faces, but they got through the cabin in the end. They got through the entire cabin, with the front and rear trolleys meeting at around Row 14.

Way back was slicker and faster. Little uptake all around.

One thing that really got me is the fact that all the CC on both flights seemed tired/agitated/p*ssed off. Service was fine, polite, etc, but their "resting faces" did not seem happy at all. I don't know if this was because both flights were after 1800, or it was because the flight was to ABZ, or the introduction of the BoB, but it was noticeable.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
All these people that were not eating the free snacks that were provided and creating lots of waste, yet suddenly everyone is fallen over themselves to buy stuff and so they run out?

Clearly people value the choice now being offered and find this new service far superior
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by layz
They shouldn't have launched without contactless support. OK not everyone has contactless cards, but it's widespread enough to speed up some of the transactions. They also need to make the payment process by default easier on their tablets.

Has anyone successfully used a Monzo card yet? Technically it's pre-pay but it still works in places where online authorisation isn't used. I've used it on the old BA duty free machines, Aer Lingus, easyJet and the old swipe and sign machines on Great Western (I think they've finally phased these out).

It'll still help you as it means people before you in the aircraft will get processed faster!
Someone on our flight used a monzo card, seemed to work. CC commented on how bright the card was which is why I noticed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.