Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bring on Board... The exact rules on alcohol? BA allows it?

Old Jan 18, 17, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriot Gold.

On the buy onboard thread, I was told that BA allows consumption of alcohol brought onboard...

Now all I've ever been told on the subject is that its illegal in the uk. Basic google searches reinforce this, such as: What rules drinking on planes

I'm just talking about taking a 100ml container on in hand luggage, equivalent of 2 50mls drinks, a double drinks run on a pre BOB shorthaul run (my last FRA-LCY flight got me 4x50ms of this). Nothing disruptive, and indeed avoiding the uncorking of a full 750ml bottle from duty free...

Just to save paying the likes of 30 for drinks per flight for the two of us, a lot cheaper from the supermarket.

As the likes of google tend to show the prevalent posts on the subject, it's usually the prohibitionist stuff about the usual troublemakers necking whatever and the government trying to prevent this. So actual details on the law isn't forthcoming from that source.

To me the problems with BOB was never about the food. Who'd notice that going on the real shorthaul flights? Replacement with real food? Well, you buy whatever sandwich you really want from Boot beforehand anyway, that's what I do...
Old Jan 18, 17, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
It's not banned on BA (yet).

Source: some of the crew that post on here
Old Jan 18, 17, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC (continued soft landing)
From a cursory look, I couldn't see a direct law on legislation.gov.uk.

The best I could see was this document from 2010 http://researchbriefings.files.parli...61/SN02061.pdf

It suggests that most airlines ban this practice and that it would be difficult to turn into law.

The legislation mentioned is this http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/19/contents which seems to specifically make clear it relates to boarding a plane while drunk.

So, I don't know. It's just a cursory look but initial signs suggest it's on the airline.

Also note, I'm not a legal expert. I think we have some here who will weigh in shortly and tell me I'm wrong
Old Jan 18, 17, 10:27 am
Original Poster

So, like I suspect, it's illegal on any airline because the airline says it is....

Interesting little one on that was on flying VS J, they have an onboard bar, and often leave an open bottle behind it. A busy long flight, the bar is left empty. I remembering being told off for refilling my drink when a member of cabin crew came back in. They said it was illegal to do that. Fair enough, I thought.

However, I've seen and been encouraged to self pour wine on BA Club, and champagne on QR J (left on the little bar at the back of 787).
Old Jan 18, 17, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
It is definitely not illegal and can be difficult to enforce as other airlines have found out. The law does however state that it is forbidden for anyone to be drunk on an aircraft and an airline can refuse to carry any persons that pose a safety risk.
Old Jan 18, 17, 10:36 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
An interesting and relevant thread. Thanks to the OP for raising the subject.

It would be good to get as clear a position as possible.

The risk, of course, is to avoid the charter horror stories of diverted flights from those consuming the contents of the 1L duty free bottles, while not preventing those who brought on two miniatures from enjoying them.

In any case, BA wants us to pay for the alcohol (and soft drinks) and not have to clear up the bottles and cans etc brought rather bought on board.
Old Jan 18, 17, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
A couple of years ago I flew in World Traveller from Sydney to London. I was in an aisle seat beside two guys going on a Working Holiday. They had a large bottle of rum with them from Duty Free. As I was on the aisle seat, I became galley runner to collect Cokes. We went through virtually the entire bottle on that flight.

One of the crew sniffed at me ruefully when I was getting more Coke at one point and I assured him all would be well. His reply was, "That's what they all say."

All was well and we were happily tipsy on arrival. Whether legal or illegal, it certainly happened with the knowledge of the crew in one form or another.
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, perfectly OK to take your own food and drink on board, including alcoholic drinks on board. I don't think it has ever been banned, though other airlines choose to take a different approach.

More information, photos and airport purchase options on this topic in the Information thread for BOB.
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:02 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently View Post
An interesting and relevant thread. Thanks to the OP for raising the subject.

It would be good to get as clear a position as possible.

The risk, of course, is to avoid the charter horror stories of diverted flights from those consuming the contents of the 1L duty free bottles, while not preventing those who brought on two miniatures from enjoying them.

In any case, BA wants us to pay for the alcohol (and soft drinks) and not have to clear up the bottles and cans etc brought rather bought on board.
What if your reasoning is you don't like anything that is available on board, but can get something in the terminal that you do enjoy? BA crew never had a problem clearing up my brought on board food before Buy oB started so why should they now? It's not a restaurant where outside food is banned. Therefore the same should go for drinks, obviously stopping short of people getting drunk.
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I recall being on a charter flight from Malaga where the cabin crew pulled up a couple of blootered men for pouring their own drinks from a near empty 1lt bottle of Vodka. They were a fantastic Glasgow based crew who were full of fun but stood no nonsense from the intoxicated passengers who got a ''Do as I say or get aff ya nyaff'' type of rebuke. The idiots concerned decided to go to sleep instead.

Apart from that episode I've never witnessed any trouble caused by alcohol. Are you allowed to drink your own booze on a train or bus in the UK?
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum
Air Navigation Order, Section 139

Drunkenness in aircraft
139 (1) A person must not enter any aircraft when drunk, or be drunk in any aircraft.
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It's illegal to be drunk on board an aircraft and the crew can confiscate alcohol if we believe the passenger is or is close to being drunk, we do have to return the alcohol to the passenger on disembarkation, otherwise it's ok to drink your own alcohol.
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:25 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I recall being on a charter flight from Malaga where the cabin crew pulled up a couple of blootered men for pouring their own drinks from a near empty 1lt bottle of Vodka. They were a fantastic Glasgow based crew who were full of fun but stood no nonsense from the intoxicated passengers who got a ''Do as I say or get aff ya nyaff'' type of rebuke. The idiots concerned decided to go to sleep instead.

Apart from that episode I've never witnessed any trouble caused by alcohol. Are you allowed to drink your own booze on a train or bus in the UK?
Apart from TfL, trains are fair game, not too sure about buses.
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:28 am
Original Poster

I believe buses have been banned for a long time, however, I don't think it would typically be enforced, nobody walking up and down the buses checking this on the likes of Victoria to Glasgow... Even back when I travelled that route regularly in 1987. Think it was illegal then.

It isn't banned on the train, though local bylaws can change this due to football crowds, and they've got a late night ban on scottish trains now (all across scotland or just some area, not sure). They serve you it in first class rest of the country, and indeed, the late 11:23pm Euston to Wolverhampton is train still serving drinks past midnight...

I've not done overnight trains since the 90's and breakup of the joined up sleeper trains not going via London. Back when I did I think it was mandatory that there was a blottoed scottish bloke on there, ranting and raving. Except that one time, except in retrospect, I suspect it was me...
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:28 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
So, like I suspect, it's illegal on any airline because the airline says it is....

Interesting little one on that was on flying VS J, they have an onboard bar, and often leave an open bottle behind it. A busy long flight, the bar is left empty. I remembering being told off for refilling my drink when a member of cabin crew came back in. They said it was illegal to do that. Fair enough, I thought.

However, I've seen and been encouraged to self pour wine on BA Club, and champagne on QR J (left on the little bar at the back of 787).
Thats Virgin for you.

BA crew normally ok and relaxed - normally the BA crew are experienced and well trained how to spot potential alcohol issues, so as to allow the majority of people to quietly relax with a beverage or two.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: