Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by TRISTAR1979
I didn't make any purchases, but did Bring On Board a Tiger beer and packet of Chilly Kettle chips from the Lounge.
^ This is my cunning plan for tonight's EDI-LGW flight.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Having done my best to avoid BOB by booking my domestic flights with BA Cityflyer to and from LCY, the system conspired against me last night. My flight (BA2212) was cancled after a creeping delay, and we were all booked onto the BA1478 @ 20.40 from LHR to GLA, and I got my first (and hopefully only) experience of BOB.

Shortly after take-off, an announcement was made that they would be starting the inflight service and referred to the Menu's in the seat pocket. He then apologised that only one payment device was operational and that it would take longer than normal to pass through the cabin apologising if they didn't manage to get to every row by the end of the flight.

No hot food orders were taken or even mentioned.

Both carts appeared and started passing through with one payment device being shared between them, this created an incredibly slow cabin pass, I would estimate around 12 / 15 sales made and it took the complete flight to reach the back of the cabin.

Given that I was a last moment pax on this flight I was positioned at row 20 of the A320 so I could see the process quite well. I was the first to ask for water that I am aware of and was offered the bottled water for sale, to which I refused politely and requested the free water from the back. This was delivered instantly, and prompted a few others behind me who obviously witnessed my request being fulfilled to do the same.

I didn't make any purchases, but did Bring On Board a Tiger beer and packet of Chilly Kettle chips from the Lounge. The crew did look a little confused to see the Tiger beer can when collecting the rubbish (at 5 mins to landing).

Overall, not many takers for BOB and the atmosphere had defiantly changed on board, with many grumbles audible regarding the new policy. Coincidently I did find the menu in my seat pocket, which would have looked good had it not been torn in two... obviously someone before me didn't think much of it.

This was not the normal enjoyable BA experience, and I didn't really care for it to be honest, although that could have been exasperated by the fact I would be arriving home 5 hours late. I will continue to avoid BA from LHR and LGW when at all possible, barring a repeat of the above scenario.

I should say, that my flight from GLA to LCY in the morning was fantastic, it reminded me of BA years ago. Bags of leg room, friendly crew, and a cooked breakfast with cup of tea and an orange juice... Just perfect!
Interesting post and thanks for the feedback TRISTAR1979

Enjoy the LCY food/drinks whilst it lasts which is still quite a few months away yet. I suspect when the easter/summer and school holidays start and also when the (non FT) LCY business folks get BoB there'll be uproar. I think the ripples for this whole BoB have still to be felt and I do hope they will do a u-turn on drinks/tea/coffee/water and the likes but that's wishful thinking.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Tiffywren
^ This is my cunning plan for tonight's EDI-LGW flight.
It's a smart enough plan - and totally understandable too.

However ....I'm sure I'm not the first to make this prediction, but I am very confident that we will see significant reactive developments on the part of BA in terms of their lounge 'policy'.

There have been reports of staff having a quiet word with lounge users who are deemed to be taking noticeably excessive quantities of F&B from the the lounge supplies. Based on descriptions of behaviour in some such reports, I'm inclined to support the staff. But BA management will almost certainly introduce stricter, more formalised methods of control. It's not hard to understand why they would want to go down this route : they will see it as the only way to address what is in their eyes a loss-loss scenario : a much lower take-up of BoB than projected in the business plan, coupled with extra costs for lounge catering ; a double-whammy.

Wait for the (additional) signage & printed warnings - coming to a BA lounge near you. It will be sad, if only because such signage could well change the atmosphere from a 'premium' facility into something more akin to a downmarket pub.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:34 am

Duplicated
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
subject2load ... agree totally with that prediction [I think I've mentioned it myself, come to that].

The BA mentality these days is so parsimonious and unfriendly towards their customers that I see few limits on how far they will go to scrape sixpence off the floor.

I'm just grateful that our only BA s/h experiences in the future are on such short sectors [JER-LGW or LGW-DUB] that on-board F&B isn't really a factor. And we certainly see no need to purloin F&B from Lounges: our modest needs can met in situ.

But Lounge-Raiders need to aware of the broader potential consequences of their actions.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by subject2load
It's a smart enough plan - and totally understandable too.

However ....I'm sure I'm not the first to make this prediction, but I am very confident that we will see significant reactive developments on the part of BA in terms of their lounge 'policy'.

There have been reports of staff having a quiet word with lounge users who are deemed to be taking noticeably excessive quantities of F&B from the the lounge supplies. Based on descriptions of behaviour in some such reports, I'm inclined to support the staff. But BA management will almost certainly introduce stricter, more formalised methods of control. It's not hard to understand why they would want to go down this route : they will see it as the only way to address what is in their eyes a loss-loss scenario : a much lower take-up of BoB than projected in the business plan, coupled with extra costs for lounge catering ; a double-whammy.

Wait for the (additional) signage & printed warnings - coming to a BA lounge near you. It will be sad, if only because such signage could well change the atmosphere from a 'premium' facility into something more akin to a downmarket pub.
I only have two domestic returns and one ET rtn to Krakow between now and April, and I fully intend to very discreetly take two cans of tribute for the domestics, and three for the ET, from the lounge- along with a packet of crisps for each.

I hope they don't get too strict before I complete these trips!

Certainly will not be doing any ET trips now with BoB unless I have lounge access and can get some supplies before boarding the flight!

Coming back from KRK will be tricky, with no lounge access for BA travellers. I hope there is somewhere airside to purchase some cans of beer, as I refuse to BoB even if I am dying of thirst, on the principal !!!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Having done my best to avoid BOB by booking my domestic flights with BA Cityflyer to and from LCY, the system conspired against me last night. My flight (BA2212) was cancled after a creeping delay, and we were all booked onto the BA1478 @ 20.40 from LHR to GLA, and I got my first (and hopefully only) experience of BOB.

Shortly after take-off, an announcement was made that they would be starting the inflight service and referred to the Menu's in the seat pocket. He then apologised that only one payment device was operational and that it would take longer than normal to pass through the cabin apologising if they didn't manage to get to every row by the end of the flight.

No hot food orders were taken or even mentioned.

Both carts appeared and started passing through with one payment device being shared between them, this created an incredibly slow cabin pass, I would estimate around 12 / 15 sales made and it took the complete flight to reach the back of the cabin.

Given that I was a last moment pax on this flight I was positioned at row 20 of the A320 so I could see the process quite well. I was the first to ask for water that I am aware of and was offered the bottled water for sale, to which I refused politely and requested the free water from the back. This was delivered instantly, and prompted a few others behind me who obviously witnessed my request being fulfilled to do the same.

I didn't make any purchases, but did Bring On Board a Tiger beer and packet of Chilly Kettle chips from the Lounge. The crew did look a little confused to see the Tiger beer can when collecting the rubbish (at 5 mins to landing).

Overall, not many takers for BOB and the atmosphere had defiantly changed on board, with many grumbles audible regarding the new policy. Coincidently I did find the menu in my seat pocket, which would have looked good had it not been torn in two... obviously someone before me didn't think much of it.

This was not the normal enjoyable BA experience, and I didn't really care for it to be honest, although that could have been exasperated by the fact I would be arriving home 5 hours late. I will continue to avoid BA from LHR and LGW when at all possible, barring a repeat of the above scenario.

I should say, that my flight from GLA to LCY in the morning was fantastic, it reminded me of BA years ago. Bags of leg room, friendly crew, and a cooked breakfast with cup of tea and an orange juice... Just perfect!
Write and complain. You booked for city flyer which advertised as NOT BoB. So they should compensate you with Avios, in a similar way as those who booked before BoB was announced, then found their flight would have switched to it, have been compensated with Avios.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA 565 - LIN to LHR T5
13 January 2017
====

One concern I have, which I will send to CR Newcastle, is that my mobile telephone was out of my possession, and out of my sight, for 4 minutes, timings above. It was returned to me with the Recent Transactions page visible, rather than Account Details which was showing when it left my possession. I accept that was probably just a handling accident, it's easily done, but still it irked me. I have a PIN lock on switching to other Apps, but I don't think many people set that up. The wallet with my phone had various work badges, my Party card, and credit cards, which I would never normally let go out of my sight. Had I been extra sharp at the time I could have headed this off - I would have simply handed over my BAEC card instead.
====
From my post 237 upthread. On Monday I complained about this to CR Newcastle. On Tuesday afternoon I got a 400 word reply. Now normally I would post it here, but every second sentence was personalised, I'm sure they'd have stuck in my inside leg measurement in if they could. Luckily I am not cynical enough to think it was so worded to avoid being posted here.

Anyway there were 11 apologies or expressions of regret in that, including an apology for not replying sooner (we are talking 36 hours here). There wasn't a specific pledge to prevent this from happening again, but said it would be brought to the attention of the Senior Management Team. No Avios sought, offered or suitable for this incident. Only 1 CR stock phrase deployed, viz. "I completely appreciate...".
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:15 am

Hi CWS - just by way of an aside to the core content of the CR response you received (and which, for all I know, was satisfactory - difficult for others to judge without seeing the actual text) : I wonder how you actually felt about the fact that "every second sentence was personalised" and that it contained "11 apologies or expressions of regret" .....?

In your shoes I'm pretty sure I would have found it smarmy and grovelling, to the point of being totally insincere - and perhaps even patronising.

Apologies - when well-executed - can of course be seen as gracious & very welcome. Indeed, often more so than any form of 'material' redress. BUT I also believe that there is something horribly skewed about the culture of organisation that gets so many basics wrong - and then litters its response to a complaint with so many words of regret that those same words become almost meaningless by virtue of their mere robotic-like repetition.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by subject2load
Hi CWS - just by way of an aside to the core content of the CR response you received (and which, for all I know, was satisfactory - difficult for others to judge without seeing the actual text) : I wonder how you actually felt about the fact that "every second sentence was personalised" and that it contained "11 apologies or expressions of regret" .....?

In your shoes I'm pretty sure I would have found it smarmy and grovelling, to the point of being totally insincere - and perhaps even patronising.

Apologies - when well-executed - can of course be seen as gracious & very welcome. Indeed, often more so than any form of 'material' redress. BUT I also believe that there is something horribly skewed about the culture of organisation that gets so many basics wrong - and then litters its response to a complaint with so many words of regret that those same words become almost meaningless by virtue of their mere robotic-like repetition.
With the policy of 'show me the money' in place, I think that BA is just feeling very sorry for themselves because the taking of the money from the customer did not go very smooth. The have lost time in the process and hence potential sales. They have to be sorry for that. They regret the lost sales.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hungry
I refuse to BoB even if I am dying of thirst, on the principal !!!
I am with you on that one.

Last edited by TRISTAR1979; Jul 20, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Has anyone flown to DME yet? Is it BoB or not?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's a very interesting memo, I think it's reassuring that there is some self awareness (and they use the same uptempo management-speak as I inflict on my colleagues!). So very much worth reading all of your message and in a way it would be better, from a public confidence point of view, if they could share this with their customers to indicate they're not on a separate planet to the passengers.
It is funny how the same words can be read so differently by different individuals. I read this completely different to you and suggesting that they ARE on a separate planet to passengers or, for that matter, flying crew. What this seems to me to be saying is: All is tickety-boo apart some ultra minor problems on a minuscule number of flights, which was to be expected on a massive roll out like this. The problem seems to be primarily that some of you are not the brightest buttons in the box: we systematically check that the machines we give you do work and yet somehow some of you still manage to struggle with them so we will send some people along on flights to show you how it is done.
Personally I find this message rather troubling and dispiriting.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
"Tend to agree with NickB."

BA Corporate Platitude 17.3.6
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by NickB
It is funny how the same printed word can be read so differently by different individuals. I read this completely different to you and suggesting that they ARE on a separate planet to passengers or, for that matter, flying crew. What this seems to me to be saying is: All is tickety-boo apart some ultra minor problems on a minuscule number of flights, which was to be expected on a massive roll out like this. The problem seems to be primarily that some of you are not the brightest buttons in the box: we systematically check that the machines we give you do work and yet somehow some of you still manage to struggle with them so we will send some people along on flights to show you how it is done.
Personally I find this message rather troubling and dispiriting.

Yes I read the memo exactly the same as you and I agree the underlying message it is conveying about the crew is worrying but given what we have heard from crew and what they think BA management think of them, it rings true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.