Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Why not complain to both?
I'd personally have no problem in doing exactly that.

But (and perhaps my last attempt at this ....!) : the issue I was trying to get across was the simple matter of responsibility between customer and seller ; and - more specifically - who would be obliged to refund you in the case of unsatisfactory goods. It's the people you buy from.

In the case of BoB sandwiches etc, regardless of how distinctive / well-advertised the original supplier is, you have paid your money/Avios to one party, and one party alone.

As to who gets the 'glory' or 'criticism' : these are interesting points, and naturally up for debate ; but nonetheless irrelevant where refunds and/or other forms of redress are concerned.

Last edited by subject2load; Jan 17, 2017 at 3:36 pm Reason: addition
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
No tap water

LGW to GLA at the weekend and witnessed a passenger asking for a small cup of water (prior to the trolley service) to take some medication (which was visible in her hand). Crew advised they can now only sell water, nothing else available and when a fellow passenger offered to pour some water from her bottle into a cup (if the crew could provide) the response was cups are only provided along with a drinks purchase. Kind fellow passenger then offed up the entire (unopened) water to the lady in question so she could take the medication. The most shocking thing for me was that the member of staff didn't even seem embarrassed to refuse what was, in my opinion, a perfectly reasonable request.
I was fortunate enough to receive a survey from Nunwood the following day so you can be sure I made my thoughts clear.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just to help irregular visitors, ICCM is another word for SCCM, and means In Charge Crew Member, as opposed to Senior Cabin Crew Member. It sometimes gets confused with ICC, International Cabin Crew member, which relates to Indian / Arabic based crew, and they aren't part of this. So mostly it's Pursers who are ICCM/SCCM on Eurofleet, however on 767s and elsewhere it may be a full Cabin Service Director in that position. Whether CSD or Purser, they would wear the Silver and dark blue tie, if male, or cravat if female. On Mixed Fleet the senior crew member is always a Cabin Service Manager (CSM); London Gatwick services are under the control of a "CSM Gatwick", who are on a different contract. And I've not yet had enough coffee to spell out the BACF crew out of LCY!
Ug!

This is why most people think the waitress earns more than the customer!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by subject2load
In the case of BoB sandwiches etc, regardless of how distinctive / well-advertised the original supplier is, you have paid your money/Avios to one party, and one party alone.
Tourvest?

Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Ultimately I'd complain to whoever I thought would be more likely to listen. Given BA don't listen I may well let M&S know what I think in the hope M&S take up issues with BA. Would make my day if M&S pulled out, would love to make Cruz less smug.
This is the key point. BA can happily fob us all off with copy-pasted responses about how this was what customer feedback wanted, and there's nothing else we can do. Whereas M&S presumably has a sizeable contract with BA, so if M&S only ever hears negative feedback about the whole relationship, they'll bin the contract, and BA will be forced to think again.

And hopefully any IAG shareholders here will go to the AGM in June and ask some pertinent questions on why this has been such a shambles.

Edit: and yes, of course your legal contract is with BA if you want a refund on your drink or sandwich, but I don't think that's the main point here.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by scottish minnie
LGW to GLA at the weekend and witnessed a passenger asking for a small cup of water (prior to the trolley service) to take some medication (which was visible in her hand). Crew advised they can now only sell water, nothing else available ...
As disturbing as this is (and it is indeed a shocking story - kudos to the passenger who stepped in to help), I think it is more a reflection of the inconsistent delivery, lack of clear guidelines and training, and crew stress in trying to deliver the new service than anything else.

No criticism of the passenger intended. but worth noting now that if you know you have to take medicine onboard, it is probably best to inform the crew on boarding. Personally I think they should keep a small supply of those really small paper cups ready for this purpose.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by Secretsquirrel.return
I agree and it's very telling to see that a valued (by crew at least) GGL will now stop and think before making any personal travel arrangements in ET .
I cannot but feel that I am better treated elsewhere (not by crew - that is one of the reasons I have sometimes flewn BA even when it is not the most convenient option). With Finnair as Plat (which I should make later this year if I just give up on CCR card and stay GGL) I get more upgrades and always food and drink in Y. As EBD I always get free drinks in Y on SK etc. Not to mention the airlines that serve free F&B to all passengers.

I am going to add a little back round to the cashless option and why BA may have chosen to go down this route. This is not from BA but from a crew prospective.

Before BOB we have had on going issues with Tourvest and the IFR, this manifested it self when we changed our IFR a number of years ago. Many cc were being told that they had cash discrepancies it was an unusual as it had jumped form an occasional report to a externally high amount. BA had stated this was due to extra audits and checking hence picking up the errors.

Crew and our representatives believed that this was not the case as the vast majority of the errors were round figures such as £20 £40 and rarely £16.26 etc . And it was not single individuals but random across the crew community. Many crew were formally disciplined and had the money recovered from the wages even if this was down to error, no crew hang been dismissed for theft.BA are adamant this is crew error .

At no point was tourvest or our shambolic cash handling process investigated. This is why many crew had stopped taking cash sales while doing IFR against BA policy and breach of our contracts. I can tell you that the vast majority of the crew are more then happy with the cashless system. As we do not want the added worry of an invisible hand dipping into our already depleted wages. BA may have thought that as they cant manage to sort this problem out on IFR that a cashless system would solve there issues and stop them having to address the shambolic cash handling when the roll out BOB.

I agree a cash option would be easier and more of a service to our customers, but not at the expense and worry of the cc community. We have enough worry and stress to our job security as it is, without the added concern of being dismissed over a cash error. I feel we would only be happy with this if the process was totally transparent to the cc.
Thanks for the background - and with that attitude from the company I understand why staff would not be very happy with it!

It is disgraceful to take any mistakes out of staff salaries; if there is a strategic theft it should lead to other reprecussions, but from the patterns it seems to mostly be random mistakes. Either with entering the stuff or counting the cash...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:02 pm

LGW to GLA at the weekend and witnessed a passenger asking for a small cup of water (prior to the trolley service) to take some medication (which was visible in her hand). Crew advised they can now only sell water, nothing else available and when a fellow passenger offered to pour some water from her bottle into a cup (if the crew could provide) the response was cups are only provided along with a drinks purchase. Kind fellow passenger then offed up the entire (unopened) water to the lady in question so she could take the medication. The most shocking thing for me was that the member of staff didn't even seem embarrassed to refuse what was, in my opinion, a perfectly reasonable request.
I was fortunate enough to receive a survey from Nunwood the following day so you can be sure I made my thoughts clear.
I think the message is clear. BA staff have indirectly been told that passengers are a cost liability and that the company needs to consider the ££ every time a request is made. Be it seat allocation, a glass of water or even a plastic cup.

Passengers, through extensive customer research, have told BA that they want this type of approach now according to the Twitter reply I got from BA.

There is certainly choice for EU flights and other carriers have a good low cost but customer focused model. BA is not set up for low cost given its passenger profiles, huge fare ranges and its key markets, particularly towards it's long haul routes.

Last edited by kaizenflying; Jan 17, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Deltus

And hopefully any IAG shareholders here will go to the AGM in June and ask some pertinent questions on why this has been such a shambles.
Can someone help me understand what my rights are as a shareholder to do something at the AGM and what I can do ? I just have 200 shares (to get the old BA discount).... thanks.

Last edited by WeLoveSpace; Jan 17, 2017 at 11:32 pm Reason: To add thanks
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm a bit confused by the drinks.

Are these "owned" by M&S as well and that why they can't be free?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by smokie36
I'm a bit confused by the drinks.

Are these "owned" by M&S as well and that why they can't be free?
I wonder the same thing, but I think BA should provide free non-alcoholic drinks at minimum. Cruz could uses the argument that the soda cans are larger sizes and the tea and coffee are "higher" quality in larger containers so that's why it would make sense to charge for them.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Shameful. Refusing even a cup to someone that has to take a medication is petty.

IMO, still water by glass (and not from aircraft tank but from big bottle) should be mandatory free.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Lefly
Shameful. Refusing even a cup to someone that has to take a medication is petty.

IMO, still water by glass (and not from aircraft tank but from big bottle) should be mandatory free.
yes, 'petty' indeed seems the most suitable way to qualify BA at the moment.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Isn't that illegal not to provide help someone with medical needs. What if that lady in question has some serious condition requiring urgent medication and then being denied even a cup of water?

Seems like BA would rather divert than give free water during the BOB run?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:10 am

My dad arrived in the UK yesterday, sat in row 20. ALL sandwiches, rolls, etc all gone by the time the FA reached him...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.