Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Since the introduction of return catering, the CE cabin regularly runs out of bottled water (and often other soft drinks) on the band 4s. Every LCA I do has run dry of water part way through the flight. They simply don't have room to store enough for 50-80 CE passengers on a return 4.5 + 5 hour flight, and they can't upload more at LCA, except in an emergency.

With the complete meltdown of BoB, the crew were offering tap water (so, didn't impact on CE bottled water) + juice + tea/coffee from the CE supply. So naturally the juice ran out. And the bottled water ran out, as it always does.

Thank you Angela + team (particularly Damir, Clare, Gaetano, Russell) for an outstanding job on two very difficult sectors. You are all complete stars and don't deserve this.

I hope someone at BA recognises the fantastic cabin crew doing an amazing job. Especially a super-caring CSD, who - on her day off - goes and buys bags of biscuits with her own money, to offer to the hungry passengers.
The most damning indictment yet IMO... good for her, but shame on BA that CC feel the need to do this.

At the moment, I only have LH bookings with BA, and that's not likely to change. I can see my big group family holiday booking this year being with U2 or frankly anyone else. Alright perhaps not FR, but stranger things have happened.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
As an aside, if you want free water on flights out of France, are you now supposed to ask for 'eau de toilette'?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by layz
But the question is, if they have time to offer the duty free service (and presumably when the issues are ironed out it should be possible) will they still be accepting cash for these and will they be using the same tablets for this purpose?
No cash for BOB or IFR on Shorthaul from the 11th . It's now totally cashless in European flights.

::::::::::::::::::::::::
My username is not original I have used in memory of poster somewhere else who was a true hero to many at BA .
:::::::::::::::::::::::
The information posted here are my views and opinion . They do not reflect the official view or opinion or any other individual or company.

Last edited by Secretsquirrel.return; Jan 17, 2017 at 1:59 pm
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Raffles
I know that no-one will flounce off purely on the back of BOB, but everyone has a breaking point somewhere and the loss of free G'n'T may be it for many.
Well I have now booked all my GLA LHR flights to LCY instead, as I can continue to enjoy full service BA with City Flyer, and in particular the cooked breakfast. Our Family Holiday in July has been booked on JET 2, and Our "Big" holiday in November to BKK has been booked with QR from EDI. So they have lost a few sales from me for sure.

Up until now I would have booked all of those flights direct with BA without even looking at price or considering other airlines.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
I assume when they write down card details that the number on the back is not written down.

AFAIK this is against merchant bank rules and must never be stored.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I assume when they write down card details that the number on the back is not written down.

AFAIK this is against merchant bank rules and must never be stored.
i have seen cc do this but it is absolutely against PCI regulations. Personally I would not have my details on a manual . Just my advice .

My username is not original I have used in memory of poster somewhere else who was a true hero to many at BA .
The information posted here are my views and opinion . They do not reflect the official view or opinion or any other individual or company.

Last edited by Secretsquirrel.return; Jan 17, 2017 at 1:59 pm
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Reports of an ATH-LHR and LGW-AGP flights without catering.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by :D!

I doubt there are many (maybe even any) Angolans, Venezuelans or North Koreans resident in those countries flying short haul within Europe.
Definately some Angolans regularly flying between LHR and LIS and other Portuguese airports.

Also a good number fly between LHR and ABZ regularly.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Since the introduction of return catering, the CE cabin regularly runs out of bottled water (and often other soft drinks) on the band 4s. Every LCA I do has run dry of water part way through the flight. They simply don't have room to store enough for 50-80 CE passengers on a return 4.5 + 5 hour flight, and they can't upload more at LCA, except in an emergency.

With the complete meltdown of BoB, the crew were offering tap water (so, didn't impact on CE bottled water) + juice + tea/coffee from the CE supply. So naturally the juice ran out. And the bottled water ran out, as it always does.

Thank you Angela + team (particularly Damir, Clare, Gaetano, Russell) for an outstanding job on two very difficult sectors. You are all complete stars and don't deserve this.

I hope someone at BA recognises the fantastic cabin crew doing an amazing job. Especially a super-caring CSD, who - on her day off - goes and buys bags of biscuits with her own money, to offer to the hungry passengers.
Hi MrSimonR, thank you for this. This shows she genuinely cares for the customers as do the vast majority of the crew.

It's a testament to see that even though we are undervalued and I'd go as far as saying not wanted by the company (I am referring to legacy crew) . We have been told for years we are paid too much, and not productive. Add to this that we are continually compared to easy jet and other budget company's and expected to offer the service of a premium airline. But still someone like her will go to this length to make that difference no matter how small . I have also see cc use there own credit cards to pay for some customers such as the elderly or young who only have cash . This company has been running on the goodwill of the staff for far to many years. Let's not mention the 'Billions' they made in profits, while a staff member buys biscuits with her own hard earned money .

The sad fact of the matter is she will probably get no thanks for that at all, I know she herself won't bring it to the company's attention. So maybe an email to the man at the top [email protected] may be worth a few moments.

Oh I am sure you all knew his email anyways

In fact to date there has been no internal coms from any senior management in regard to the ongoing problems. Just some low level management saying that we should expect teething issues and to keep feeding back our findings.

Safe flying

Last edited by Secretsquirrel.return; Jan 18, 2017 at 1:42 am
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I do hope this won't cause the named CSD any trouble...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:23 pm

The search function is difficult on a phone, so please forgive me if this was answered.

​​​​​​What's the timescale for the avios reduction to post? I would have expected next day? Or is it the magical Wednesday like other transactions?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Just had an interesting call to M&S customer services ,

Wow

Such a difference to BA !

Proactively looking into concerns regarding their relationship in this cooperation , Actually calling back when promised , confirming a 6 month trial duration at the moment , they were unaware about the problems of stock levels on BA flights ... From the agent I spoke to they care how their brand is being damaged by this ... unlike the poor BA CS agents at MAN and NCL who are in fear of their jobs ( I add I have a friend of mine up at NCL , their moral levels are at an all time low )

maybe we should attack this on 2 fronts
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kwisstan
​​​​​​What's the timescale for the avios reduction to post? I would have expected next day? Or is it the magical Wednesday like other transactions?
I have now made 9 BoB flights, and I made an Avios transaction on each of them, going back to 12 January. Not one of them has posted, maybe it's all free! More prosaically I suspect their land based transaction processing is even slower than the airborne process. I will update the Information thread when something happens.

I have had 6 of those 9 flights credit for Avios and Tier Points.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Now BA are admitting the amount of negative feedback on twitter

Admission of negative reactions from customers ...haven't seen that before ...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by psollitt
Just had an interesting call to M&S customer services ,

Wow

Such a difference to BA !

Proactively looking into concerns regarding their relationship in this cooperation , Actually calling back when promised , confirming a 6 month trial duration at the moment , they were unaware about the problems of stock levels on BA flights ... From the agent I spoke to they care how their brand is being damaged by this ... unlike the poor BA CS agents at MAN and NCL who are in fear of their jobs ( I add I have a friend of mine up at NCL , their moral levels are at an all time low )

maybe we should attack this on 2 fronts
At the end of the day, you are purchasing M&S products despite what BA might say.

Complaints should be made to M&S for that reason.

Same way as you would complain to Mars if your Mars bar was bad that you purchased at WH Smiths.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.