Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Secretsquirrel.return
After my 1st week of BOB I feel drained, tired, devalued and saddened by what I have seen. So many disappointed customers, some very angry, some upset and others being rude to cc. I have seen cc pay for some customers, heard stores of cc spending there own hard earned money to make a difference, and stores of cc being rude and inflexible as well i.e. With tank water.
Secretsquirrel.return we are indebted to you for your insight into this from the Cabin Crew perspective. Thank you again for taking the time to post. I suspect that much of the anger and frustration is temporary, but I think now you mention it that unfortunately the crew-passenger dynamic will be permanently affected.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Human Factor: This to me is a difficult one, I am very tech savvy ( otherwise I would not have the guts to post any of this ) But not everyone is, in fairness some cc have been doing with out tech in this lives for years. So some are finding it difficult to get to grips with a badly designed interface. Please understand that the POS sw is badly designed and not iPad friendly as you might expect. If fact BA must be the only company to take such a simple easy to use device and turn it on it head. But we now have road shows in our report canter, and talk of a training video so this will all go to help crew.
You are right, I noticed the software was not very user friendly, they even make taking payment more difficult than it should be. I'd have expected a much more user friendly system, the key transactions could be streamlined and anything more advanced moved to an advanced section.

One person I saw tried to operate the ipad with a pen (a regular pen, not a dedicated stylus), I'm guessing the old machines were resistive touchscreen so they'd work with a pen. BA should offer a stylus to those who prefer it.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Secretsquirrel.return we are indebted to you for your insight into this from the Cabin Crew perspective. Thank you again for taking the time to post. I suspect that much of the anger and frustration is temporary, but I think now you mention it that unfortunately the crew-passenger dynamic will be permanently affected.
Indeed.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Another superb contribution from Secretsquirrel.return

The discussion & debate here on FT surrounding the whole subject of BoB has been genuinely enriched (just managed to avoid using a similar word there !) by this detailed comment & perspective, offering insights we might not otherwise have had.

This fundamental change will - as correctly interpreted by Secretsquirrel.return - prove ultimately to have far wider implications than the cost of a cup of coffee or bacon roll.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
My feelings exactly.

Given that there can be no reason for the FT-er who related the incident to have fabricated the circumstances in any way, we must take the report in full at face value.

I do hope we don't see follow-up posts from apologists attempting to balance things up with 'counter-reports' of their own BoB flights which all went perfectly ....crew couldn't have been more helpful .......there's something odd about this story .....

Quite simply, this should never have happened. It is truly shameful. There can be NO excuse.
I am far from being an apologist, but I would show the crew member some forbearance. Firstly, some crew are clearly stressed and overwhelmed, secondly there does seem to be some ambiguity in the instructions being given to them by management. Whereas some crew might have acted differently, it may be that this crew member thought she was merely following orders. Ultimately I see this as an inevitable consequence of the manner of implementation of BoB, and we all know where the blame for that lies.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Someone gives birth in flight, they find a doctor onboard and then the doc asks for a bottle of vodka to sterilize an instrument, someone will still need to shell out £4.75.
That baby should definitely be named Alex
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
That baby should definitely be named Alex
Coincidentally the family was Spanish and last name being Cruz.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:11 am

http://www.forbes.com/sites/douggoll.../#7776bfa9a8bb

http://www.pymnts.com/news/retail/20...drink-program/

And this now makes amusing reading now after the launch ......

http://mediacentre.britishairways.co...6/2016-72/7309

Safe flying

::::::::::::::::::::::
me is not original I have used in memory of poster somewhere else who was a true hero to many at BA .
:::::::::::::::::::::::
The information posted here are my views and opinion . They do not reflect the official view or opinion or any other individual or company
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
And this now makes amusing reading now after the launch ......

http://mediacentre.britishairways.co...6/2016-72/7309
I bet Andy Adcock @ marksandspencer.com - might want to know how is brand is being portrayed.

I believe most emails are [email protected]
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, AB Gold, Iberia Plata, Best Western Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I bet Andy Adcock @ marksandspencer.com - might want to know how is brand is being portrayed.

I believe most emails are [email protected]
I am not sure why no one in the media has picked up on Alex Cruz's previous achievements.
1. Vueling- The company was threatened with removal of service from Barcelona airport in 2016 due to the number of delayed/cancelled flights, lying to customers about EC261 and ambitious expansion plans that meant they had over worked crews. This happened as Mr Cruz left for BA. The estimated compensation/fine Vueling was looking at was close to 4.5million-7 million euros, 10% of their operating income for 2015.

2. Gold Car- he was the advisor and on the board for Gold Car, a Spanish car rental company that has ONLY negative reviews and an appalling customer care record.

I am surprised, no one has gone down looking at his past and seeing the poor brands he has created. And, this is exactly what brand is being created here. I cannot see even one TECHNOLOGY innovation he talks about in any previous business.

Regarding growth of Vueling. Understand that Barcelona is a Tourist destination 9 months a year. Iberia and local monopoly meant that Barcelona airport would be under served by Iberia, as Iberia wanted Madrid and Aena who run both airports, wanted Madrid to be the main hub for travellers. You could literally put a fire breathing dragon to fly from Barcelona, and people would buy tickets. Vueling being successful from Barcelona is no big deal. It is struggling in pretty much any other territory.

Just saying, am I missing something here? Shouldn't people ask him about this?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
CE has changed slightly too, I find that depending how the BOB is going in ET will add the issue of being left alone in CE and once again pressure on getting a full service completed. Before I would have had the back up of cc from the rear coming up to help as soon as they finished the free pass service which was always completed. So again interaction is reduced in CE to an extent.

All in all the service is getting better the company is working on getting it right, but I feel the bigger picture is not the fact of BOB. It's going to change the whole feeling of that interaction our customers have had with the crew on BA for years. BA have been told for years by you that it's the staff that make the journey, it's our customer service and presence that is a factor in booking with us.
Many thanks once again on your regular updates and I do hope you keep us posted, indeed it would be good if other Eurofleet/MF/LGW crews could give their perspective, if they are willing so to do. Your last sentence is the bit which I don't think BA have worked through, the difficulty in giving any customer service inflight unless it comes with a price tag - the previous offering, for all its faults at least gave a "welcome to BA" impression. I look forward to your next posting with interest Secretsquirrel.return!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by vibguy
I am also looking out for positive reactions. It is utmost interesting to read how some people turn the fact that they now have to pay for a drink, whereas the same drink was free before, into a positive feedback.
If you don't mind, I'm going to ever so slightly pick on you for this post, though in fact there are a number of other posts recently that seem to imply that only negative reactions are acceptable. I am afraid that I find that a bit unreasonable.

At the time of writing the post count in this thread by FTer is:
BA6948 - 30
subject2load - 29
corporate-wage-slave - 25
orbitmic - 22
Secretsquirrel.return - 14
Littlegirl - 13
miamiflyer8 - 13
Calchas - 12
elitetraveler - 9
psollitt - 9
mrow - 9
So I am in the "prolific" category, I guess, but at least I have actually experienced BoB, which is something of a minority interest in this thread. I think under 10% of posts are first hand experiences. Which isn't a problem, but I think it is worth highlighting those experiences which are second or third hand.

Today I had my tenth experience of BoB, in summary:
1 - bad experience - detailed upthread in lavish detail.
1 - subpar - detailed above
1 - tea a bit too cool (probably the same percentage as the previous system)
7 - OK to good experiences, biased towards the most recent flights. One I've reported on in detail, and others in summary form.

Now I'm not wild about having to pay for drinks/snacks, but equally I don't think it's the end of civilisation as we know it. It is quite possible to find oneself within shades of grey here.

Having been through 10 experiences, how would I improve this process?

1) Put some 80 ml cuplets of free water on the trolley and BA shouldn't lose sleep over any lost sales. (Incidentally I have seen plenty of free water handed out, I've not witnessed any pushback on that first hand).
2) Put some meal deals on the menu, competitively priced, and put them on screen 1 of TourPOS. At the moment there are just 2 options, "Food" and "Drink", they could put half a dozen meal deals leading straight to payment and save a lot of key pressing.
3) Make the TourPOS and bluetooth printer a lot more robust and simplify the menu process. Have a 3rd backup device on board.
4) Allow pre-purchase via MMB and/or allow Highlife Shop vouchers to be bought offline, for those who don't have credit cards or Avios.
5) Get contactless working ASAP! [This is coming apparently].
6) Get the barcode visible offline on the BA App (and workable under TourPOS).
7) One or two hot items which aren't sandwiches (Cornish Pasty? Vegetarian Pasty).
8) Allow Newcastle travellers bacon baps! They are actually quite tasty in my view.
9) Sort out the naming conventions for the food items. The Swiss Mountain chocolate bar has those two words prominently on the product, but they don't appear on the drop down menu on TourPOS.
10) Add a scan food option on TourPOS so the staff don't have to keep searching for items. And/or order the items on the screen by Tray ID.
11) On A319s, with 3 crew, arrange the second trolley so that it stays in the galley but has the rarely used items available for quick retrieval, by changing and labelling the internal trays.

And, probably above all,

12) Please BA, allow the SCCM some leeway on customer service remediation. In particular if a flight is delayed more than 30 minutes crack open the Highland Spring. Due to the commission on sales, I can see crew going mad to throw away the margin, but a bit of give/take may be a good investment.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Good morning all,

Firstly may I say a big thank you to you all, for the continual support and understanding for crew community. It's is a very difficult transition for us all given the issues and many problems we have had to deal with this week.

Let me update you on what has been happening so far and what we as crew have found with BOB. As BOB ends its 1st week online with BA there is still a lot of issues and they vary from flight to flight. Below are the main factors :

POS not working (i.e. Failed transactions, crashing, not set for flight, dead)
F&B loading (stock incorrectly or not loaded, or low stock loaded)
Sales, Route & Flight time (uptake of product vastly varies on different routes)
Human factor (crew their experience, speed of service, consumer interaction)

POS : This system is pretty awful even when it works well. As I mentioned before it takes 7 steps for one item sale add a step for each additional item. We still have POS loaded that don't work at all and some with continual crashing, when they crash you need to re log into the POS which takes time. Also a common issue is the card reader not connecting to the POS software. When this happens the sale shows up the customer puts the card in, enters pin, card reader says approved, but the POS software has not registered the sale i.e. No payment taken. This is very unsettling for a customer as they have seen the green tick and the word approved.

F&B: The issues with this are starting to settle down I must say. The company are looking at the requirements for individual routes and aircraft types ( especially the 767. ) and loading accordingly. The 767 is most problematic but this is been worked on so hopefully the food issue will be ironed out asap. But this will be the easiest issue to sort out. We still will always have a issue with being unable to sell any product food or drink if the POS is not working AND we have NO credit card slips. If you consider 200 customers on a 767 each way that's has the max potential of 400 sales i.e. ( not that everyone will buy of course) but then are only loading 20/50 slips per flight. So that's a max of 50 sales for both sectors.

Sales, Route & Flight time: Given that the above 2 points are in order, working POS and F&B loaded correctly. This factor has an impact on delivery of service and if customers will even get served. If we have a high sales uptake (1 in 6) that's approx one customer per row (aircraft dependent). The service will fail, the only way we would manage to complete this service is with 4 cc at the rear of the cabin. 2 cc on each bar, this would mean adding 2 cc to a 319, 1 cc to a 320 and 3 cc to a 767. This will leave 1 cc one the Airbus to work CE and 2 on the 767. This will never happen BA will NOT increase the crew Matrix, they would be taking a backward step and reinstating cc they took off resulting in the 2010 strike. (I can dream though) .

Human Factor: This to me is a difficult one, I am very tech savvy ( otherwise I would not have the guts to post any of this ) But not everyone is, in fairness some cc have been doing with out tech in this lives for years. So some are finding it difficult to get to grips with a badly designed interface. Please understand that the POS sw is badly designed and not iPad friendly as you might expect. If fact BA must be the only company to take such a simple easy to use device and turn it on it head. But we now have road shows in our report canter, and talk of a training video so this will all go to help crew.

Another part of the human factor is quite worrying to me and I have found it very noticeable its interaction. I like to talk, it's what I do, I enjoy the interaction with our customer, banter, chitchat, listening and as we say as BA 'Being There' . Well that's come to an end this week . While delivering the service up to now I interacted with most customers. From giving a simple glass of water to topping up the 4th glass of wine and with that come interaction. Now with BOB I walk through the cabin asking if anyone would like food or beverage purchases. On a flight this is not busy ( no sales ) 95 % of customers don't even make eye contact, customers that do either smile and shake their head or make a purchase and thats it. As for me I need to move on to the next row as quickly as possible as I don't know how busy I will be (again all depends on flight time, sales and route).

CE has changed slightly too, I find that depending how the BOB is going in ET will add the issue of being left alone in CE and once again pressure on getting a full service completed. Before I would have had the back up of cc from the rear coming up to help as soon as they finished the free pass service which was always completed. So again interaction is reduced in CE to an extent.

All in all the service is getting better the company is working on getting it right, but I feel the bigger picture is not the fact of BOB. It's going to change the whole feeling of that interaction our customers have had with the crew on BA for years. BA have been told for years by you that it's the staff that make the journey, it's our customer service and presence that is a factor in booking with us.

Now in times of delays, disruption we can still offer our knowledge and experience and have that interaction. But will not be able to offer a service or complimentary drink to help. During a normal service we have to concentrate on getting to all customers in the available flight time as such reducing that very important interaction.

After my 1st week of BOB I feel drained, tired, devalued and saddened by what I have seen. So many disappointed customers, some very angry, some upset and others being rude to cc. I have seen cc pay for some customers, heard stores of cc spending there own hard earned money to make a difference, and stores of cc being rude and inflexible as well i.e. With tank water.

I hope you have all had a very much more enjoyable week then I have had.

Safe flying

Ps. Sorry I cannot respond to any PM but thank you to all that have PM me, I am sure you can totally understand this.

me is not original I have used in memory of poster somewhere else who was a true hero to many at BA .
The information posted here are my views and opinion . They do not reflect the official view or opinion or any other individual or company
Thank you so much for your insight.

I defy anybody to take in this post and say that BoB is a real positive improvement to the entire customer experience at BA.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I have now had two experiences of BoB, and my partner has had two as well (separate flights). I avoided posting from the first experience as I wanted to see if things got confirmed or not, but I feel that now, with two direct experiences plus validation from someone whose observation skills have always humbled me based on two more flights, I feel that I can make my first experience-based comments.

First, to clarify, I am against the principle of BoB at least the way that it has been conceived by BA (ie everything is for sale, nothing is free). If you feel that you should discount my perceptions on that basis, that is fine by me, I'd rather be transparent about the fact that I am not neutral to the concept. That said, by trade, I am used to having to dispassionately observe and analyse things on which I may have opinions. In many ways, it is my bread and butter and I've committed a lot of time and energy trying to do that as well as I can even when I do not like the result. Still, I always prefer to announce any personal preference so that people can decide what they want to make of it.

Second, because I am against the principle of BoB, I have decided not to buy anything so please, do not expect any comment on the substance of the products offered. I know much of the M&S range anyway as do many members, and many of the drinks, so I'm not so sure there is much mystery about product quality anyway.

Third, both my flights were band 3 on A319s. One was absolutely packed on one of my usual routes, the other one was more than half empty in Y on a route I am less used to. My partner flights were an A320 domestic and an A319 band 2 although I will only refer to them regarding one specific point. With that in mind:

1) The technical side of things actually went quite well on both my flights. There was a fairly large intake on the packed flight (I'd say about 15 orders across 20 rows of Y, mostly water, but a few coffees/teas, 2-3 spirits and at least one beer and one wine. Not much to eat: i could only see one sandwich and one fruit salad). There were almost no sales on the half-full flight: from what I could see, only 3 orders for the whole cabin.

Even on the packed flight with lots of sales, service was reasonably fast. Much slower than the free service of course, but it took about 50 minutes out of the 1h40 flight. By contrast, the half empty flight with 3 sales took nearly 30 minutes to complete and I don't really understand why. I think crew had issues with the material.

2) Service organisation seemed a bit random. In both cases, announcement about BoB was made that mentioned that crew would first walk to take orders for hot items but this was not actually done on either occasion.

'Free' tap water was served as people asked for it in one case, after the end of the BoB service in the other.

In both cases, one SCCM took care of CE and only one trolley was used for BoB in Y. In the busy case, two crew members manned it whilst the third person at the back brought the free water when signalled by the trolley colleagues. The second (back of the trolley) and third (back galley bringing tap water) crew members swapped half way whilst the front of trolley crew member took all the payments. In the less busy case, third crew member just stayed idle in the back galley during the BoB service.

3) In the second (less busy) case, the free water was a real issue. An old lady in my row asked for it but she was told she would have to wait till the end of the service as were others. She was foreign, was feeling very hot (the cabin was unusually and unpleasantly hot indeed) and had wheelchair assistance. The crew were so slow that I asked if they would give her a plastic glass and I served her from the bottle of sparkling water that I brought. I do not understand why crew are not given jugs or large bottles to keep on the trolley, and serve as they pass through as it would make a lot more sense.

4) Paradoxically (or maybe not), on the flight where only three sales were made, I found the crew really pushy and this was outright unpleasant. They were really trying to 'sell' the stuff which I personally found intrusive and annoying. The other crew were more neutral.

5) On both flights, there were complaints about access to the toilets because there really were trolleys in the aisles for most of the flight which is really annoying. I personally think that it is frankly over the top to start trying to sell duty free after having done BoB and in between rubbish rounds. I really wish BA wouldn't. I wouldn't mind them stopping duty free altogether but if they insist on keeping it, I really think the process needs to change. Maybe this could be done at the same time as BoB, if not, maybe the 4th crew member could start duty free sales before his/her colleagues start dealing with BoB as duty free goes much faster (few people buy anything at all) and this could be got rid of faster.

6) On both flights, most passengers blatantly ignored the crew. Not say 'no thanks', nor even looked at them and nodded or anything. Just plainly ignored them. I also saw more people not greeting the crew goodbye than I ever have on BA before. I really do think that there is resentment from many passengers against the new system or at any rate that it has really changed the relationship between passengers and crew.

7) The worst way in which it materialised is that in both of my flights, crew authority was effectively questioned. In the first case, whilst taxiing, a passenger was having her phone on (it rang and you could hear message reception beeps). When the crew member were asked her to switch off, the reaction was dismissive and angry. Most strangely, my partner experienced the same thing in one of her two flights. On my second flight, when we started our descent and a crew member asked someone in the row in front of mine to put their seat upright, again, the passenger's reaction was nearly furious for no apparent reason.

Now, I have seen both things happen before, but in 3 out of 4 flights, this is very much a record for me despite very frequent flying. Maybe this is just bad luck, but equally, in my view, it could be a sign of something pretty tragic: I fear that passengers may be respecting cabin crew less when they see them as people trying to sell them 'stuff'. I sincerely hope that this is not the case but this is something that I will keep an eye for next week.

8) On today's flight, we deboarded by bus and the CE passengers next to me in the bus were complaining between themselves about the slowness of the CE service and the fact that the CE crew member was absent for a lengthy period of time whilst they wanted after meal coffee (she did the rubbish runs and I think it was all the harder that people could finally start queuing for the toilets second time round and many did).

9) On one of her flights, my partner got a chance to speak to one of the crew members when precisely waiting for the loo. She asked her what she thought of the new service and she confirmed that she thought it was not pleasant for the crew. She even mentioned that some of her colleagues felt uncomfortable when selling the food and drink, and when pressed to explain more, she said some almost felt 'ashamed'. Apparently, she said she did not feel that way herself but still did not like it and she confirmed that many passengers are not very happy and take it on the crew.

In summary, my sense is that the technical issues are starting to get slowly resolved. Nevertheless, service takes long and I think that at the very least, BA needs to rethink both tap water service and duty free sales which should probably just disappear altogether or failing that be reorganised completely so as not to block aisles for another lengthy amount of time.

However, more importantly, I have the impression that BoB has changed the dynamic of the relationship between crew and passengers quite significantly. It seems that some passengers overtly respect crew members less (including in their safety capacity) as a result and are plainly less pleasant to them and that some crew are conscious and unhappy about that difference even though I'm sure that others might still like the new service. To me, the atmosphere was clearly less friendly and more tensed on both flights, and my partner (who doesn't feel as negatively towards BoB as I do) had the exact same feeling and was quite touched/saddened by what the crew member she talked to told her. I'm sure many members will make fun of me for it, but this change actually makes me rather sad, on behalf of passengers and crew members alike.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I have now had two experiences of BoB, and my partner has had two as well (separate flights). I avoided posting from the first experience as I wanted to see if things got confirmed or not, but I feel that now, with two direct experiences plus validation from someone whose observation skills have always humbled me based on two more flights, I feel that I can make my first experience-based comments.

First, to clarify, I am against the principle of BoB at least the way that it has been conceived by BA (ie everything is for sale, nothing is free). If you feel that you should discount my perceptions on that basis, that is fine by me, I'd rather be transparent about the fact that I am not neutral to the concept. That said, by trade, I am used to having to dispassionately observe and analyse things on which I may have opinions. In many ways, it is my bread and butter and I've committed a lot of time and energy trying to do that as well as I can even when I do not like the result. Still, I always prefer to announce any personal preference so that people can decide what they want to make of it.

Second, because I am against the principle of BoB, I have decided not to buy anything so please, do not expect any comment on the substance of the products offered. I know much of the M&S range anyway as do many members, and many of the drinks, so I'm not so sure there is much mystery about product quality anyway.

Third, both my flights were band 3 on A319s. One was absolutely packed on one of my usual routes, the other one was more than half empty in Y on a route I am less used to. My partner flights were an A320 domestic and an A319 band 2 although I will only refer to them regarding one specific point. With that in mind:

1) The technical side of things actually went quite well on both my flights. There was a fairly large intake on the packed flight (I'd say about 15 orders across 20 rows of Y, mostly water, but a few coffees/teas, 2-3 spirits and at least one beer and one wine. Not much to eat: i could only see one sandwich and one fruit salad). There were almost no sales on the half-full flight: from what I could see, only 3 orders for the whole cabin.

Even on the packed flight with lots of sales, service was reasonably fast. Much slower than the free service of course, but it took about 50 minutes out of the 1h40 flight. By contrast, the half empty flight with 3 sales took nearly 30 minutes to complete and I don't really understand why. I think crew had issues with the material.

2) Service organisation seemed a bit random. In both cases, announcement about BoB was made that mentioned that crew would first walk to take orders for hot items but this was not actually done on either occasion.

'Free' tap water was served as people asked for it in one case, after the end of the BoB service in the other.

In both cases, one SCCM took care of CE and only one trolley was used for BoB in Y. In the busy case, two crew members manned it whilst the third person at the back brought the free water when signalled by the trolley colleagues. The second (back of the trolley) and third (back galley bringing tap water) crew members swapped half way whilst the front of trolley crew member took all the payments. In the less busy case, third crew member just stayed idle in the back galley during the BoB service.

3) In the second (less busy) case, the free water was a real issue. An old lady in my row asked for it but she was told she would have to wait till the end of the service as were others. She was foreign, was feeling very hot (the cabin was unusually and unpleasantly hot indeed) and had wheelchair assistance. The crew were so slow that I asked if they would give her a plastic glass and I served her from the bottle of sparkling water that I brought. I do not understand why crew are not given jugs or large bottles to keep on the trolley, and serve as they pass through as it would make a lot more sense.

4) Paradoxically (or maybe not), on the flight where only three sales were made, I found the crew really pushy and this was outright unpleasant. They were really trying to 'sell' the stuff which I personally found intrusive and annoying. The other crew were more neutral.

5) On both flights, there were complaints about access to the toilets because there really were trolleys in the aisles for most of the flight which is really annoying. I personally think that it is frankly over the top to start trying to sell duty free after having done BoB and in between rubbish rounds. I really wish BA wouldn't. I wouldn't mind them stopping duty free altogether but if they insist on keeping it, I really think the process needs to change. Maybe this could be done at the same time as BoB, if not, maybe the 4th crew member could start duty free sales before his/her colleagues start dealing with BoB as duty free goes much faster (few people buy anything at all) and this could be got rid of faster.

6) On both flights, most passengers blatantly ignored the crew. Not say 'no thanks', nor even looked at them and nodded or anything. Just plainly ignored them. I also saw more people not greeting the crew goodbye than I ever have on BA before. I really do think that there is resentment from many passengers against the new system or at any rate that it has really changed the relationship between passengers and crew.

7) The worst way in which it materialised is that in both of my flights, crew authority was effectively questioned. In the first case, whilst taxiing, a passenger was having her phone on (it rang and you could hear message reception beeps). When the crew member were asked her to switch off, the reaction was dismissive and angry. Most strangely, my partner experienced the same thing in one of her two flights. On my second flight, when we started our descent and a crew member asked someone in the row in front of mine to put their seat upright, again, the passenger's reaction was nearly furious for no apparent reason.

Now, I have seen both things happen before, but in 3 out of 4 flights, this is very much a record for me despite very frequent flying. Maybe this is just bad luck, but equally, in my view, it could be a sign of something pretty tragic: I fear that passengers may be respecting cabin crew less when they see them as people trying to sell them 'stuff'. I sincerely hope that this is not the case but this is something that I will keep an eye for next week.

8) On today's flight, we deboarded by bus and the CE passengers next to me in the bus were complaining between themselves about the slowness of the CE service and the fact that the CE crew member was absent for a lengthy period of time whilst they wanted after meal coffee (she did the rubbish runs and I think it was all the harder that people could finally start queuing for the toilets second time round and many did).

9) On one of her flights, my partner got a chance to speak to one of the crew members when precisely waiting for the loo. She asked her what she thought of the new service and she confirmed that she thought it was not pleasant for the crew. She even mentioned that some of her colleagues felt uncomfortable when selling the food and drink, and when pressed to explain more, she said some almost felt 'ashamed'. Apparently, she said she did not feel that way herself but still did not like it and she confirmed that many passengers are not very happy and take it on the crew.

In summary, my sense is that the technical issues are starting to get slowly resolved. Nevertheless, service takes long and I think that at the very least, BA needs to rethink both tap water service and duty free sales which should probably just disappear altogether or failing that be reorganised completely so as not to block aisles for another lengthy amount of time.

However, more importantly, I have the impression that BoB has changed the dynamic of the relationship between crew and passengers quite significantly. It seems that some passengers overtly respect crew members less (including in their safety capacity) as a result and are plainly less pleasant to them and that some crew are conscious and unhappy about that difference even though I'm sure that others might still like the new service. To me, the atmosphere was clearly less friendly and more tensed on both flights, and my partner (who doesn't feel as negatively towards BoB as I do) had the exact same feeling and was quite touched/saddened by what the crew member she talked to told her. I'm sure many members will make fun of me for it, but this change actually makes me rather sad, on behalf of passengers and crew members alike.
Excellent analysis.I certainly wont make fun of you,for I feel exactly the same.As a GGL/CCR I always looked forward to my BA European flights,now I am dreading them.I can renew my status on longhaul,so will not bother with BA shorhaul much.Using Eurostar has much greater appeal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.