Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Secretsquirrel.return
Hi Tony

The loading of crew is based on a number of factors. Aircraft type, then CE load.
Thanks very much for the insight. ^
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Correct information , and to add issues they are no making a loss on IFR (in flight retail ) as there is no time to offer that service on most flights. Adding to customer disappointment.

As for the comments in regard to long haul by some posters, please wait and see. BA are in the process of a pay deal agreement with EF/LH (eurofleet/long haul ) this is going to impact the CW (club world) service routine as part of a productivity deal linked to the pay deal . We have already seen the erosion of LH service and product. There will be more to follow, but that's another thread and discussion.

Safe flying

:::::::::::::::::::::
My username is not original I have used in memory of poster somewhere else who was a true hero to many at BA
::::::::::::::::::::::
My bolding.

This is extremely worrying. I understood that there was supposed to be a massive investment in CW coming.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Hopefully someone will correct me if I've got this wrong, but Tourvest is the main contractor here, not M&S.
Looks like BA is their biggest client in the Inflight Retail Services sector, depending on how much they do for SAA:
http://www.tourvest.co.za/operations.asp?subID=3

And they do have their fingers in many pies down in South Africa, and it looks like most tourists would have spent money at least one of their businesses during a visit - know I have!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:42 am

Damaging to brand?
It's all very well to say that the logistics are handled by Tourvest / DHL / whoever, but if this continues to go wrong the brands that are (further) damaged are BA and M&S
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:44 am

Be interesting to see how this plays out when it eventually gets to Cityflyer services. One crew dedicated to CE and only one crew member available to sell to the rest of the plane....
Presumably we are still none the wiser on when this will be introduced on Cityflyer?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
This I don't understand. So "we're going to take more money from you to move OR we're going to move you up when you didn't request it and then we are going to give you the absolute lowest priority of getting anything on the plane - not just in your own cabin."
An "upgrade" from an exit row seat will soon be a downgrade in every respect.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold *woodPlat LHFTL Marriott Lifetime Plat.
It's a bad example to use really. You'd be on slightly stronger ground on a service which has direct competition at LHR and which isn't full - there will be plenty of examples there that can be picked on. Where you would be on much stronger ground is in 3 months time, looking at Swiss v BA for fares and availability between LHR and GVA.[/QUOTE]

I have been flying regularly LHR-DUS and LHR-FRA for the last 6 months.
LH and EW are CONSISTENTLY at least £100 per sector cheaper than BA and, even before the BoB fiasco, have also been offering a better service on board (not to mention the abysmal lounge offerings in DUS)
So, higher price and lower service means I have stopped flying BA on these routes. And I have a Gold for Life so used to be a very loyal BA customer.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:32 am

Hi Tony

The loading of crew is based on a number of factors. Aircraft type, then CE load.

For example 160 as you mentioned on a A320 will only ever have 4 cc as long as the CE load is below 16 . There is where we have a issue, with a light CE load the 4th cc should go to the rear to help but as I mentioned above they will be ineffective on a double trolley. The one cc would stay in CE to do that service there should never be a cabin or galley unattended during a flight for an extended time. We have found with 4 crew no matter what the load on a fight with CE it's best if 2 cc work one bar with both POS and leave the rest of the crew to bring supplies as needed and take care of CE and the cabin duties.

Different crew on different days will do many different things as this is been dumped on on to make it work by the company. I hope that answers your question.

Safe flying

My username is not original I have used in memory of poster somewhere else who was a true hero to many at BA
Fully agree. Operated LPA and WAW since the new service came in and not possible to have two trollies out with just 3 crew. This is bad planning, and I cant see them increasing the crew compliment!

Bit of a balls up!

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Another ATH-LHR flight (BA633) departed without catering loaded... It is becoming very entertaining I have to say!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Be interesting to see how this plays out when it eventually gets to Cityflyer services. One crew dedicated to CE and only one crew member available to sell to the rest of the plane....
Presumably we are still none the wiser on when this will be introduced on Cityflyer?
Cabin crew on a Citiflyer flight last night said that they had been told "June"
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:43 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Thanks secretsquirrel.return for the really helpful insight.

I still have a lingering question that you may choose to ignore if deemed sensitive:

How does the agreement with M&S work -- are there selling targets/requirements or are FAs on commission?

Is there a "trial period" where they see how successful it is before deciding to modify/scrap/keep it?

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:12 am

Fun and games on BA850 (LHR-WAW) had to switch planes as first one went tech, bussed down 4 stands. Expected "no food loaded" but it was there. CSM gave the talk about the new service. A crew member was dispatched to take orders for larger food items (sandwiches, salads) as only 2 of each sort were loaded. Service started about 30 minutes into the flight.

The uptake was high with at least 2 people on each row ordering, this could have been down to the 1.5 hour delay in departure. At least 2 or 3 people before my row paid in Avios. I think the prices are on a par with FlyBE, but they have Krispy Kremes! Person behind me asked the crew member if they would be reducing prices of tickets, she smiled, I laughed. Although my flight was a redemption, so not expensive. My water, vodka, diet coke was a quarter of the Avios I used on the flight.

The machine was very slow and seemed like one was out of action. Crew complement of 3 in ET. They did a manual method at the back rows (after realising they wouldn't make the whole cabin with the one machine). Forgetting the rights or wrongs, it could work if they could speed up the pos as on this flight it was that which slowed the service. After the service in CE the CSM switched places with a crew member in ET, to complete the BoB service. I couldn't work out which row they managed to get up to but they didn't complete the full service. The rubbish collection run didn't occur until 5 minutes before landing. The slow machine is really causing problems for the crew as this was a 2.5 flight, which should have been relatively smooth for a BoB service, but as has been stated it's not going to work without 2 people to a trolley.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by BA6948
Another ATH-LHR flight (BA633) departed without catering loaded... It is becoming very entertaining I have to say!
In case it hasn't been reported, yesterday's LHR-LCA (BA662) went out WITH catering, and WITH 2 (out of 4) payment machines, but NEITHER of them worked.

A lot of hungry, thirsty, upset and angry passengers.

CE service affected, as CSD was down the back dealing with the issues - one cabin crew member did an outstanding job at doing most the CE service singlehandedly. Which was made easier by the drinks running out anyway, no water or soft drinks left halfway through the flight. Bravo.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
What a shambles. Poor crew
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
In case it hasn't been reported, yesterday's LHR-LCA (BA662) went out WITH catering, and WITH 2 (out of 4) payment machines, but NEITHER of them worked.

A lot of hungry, thirsty, upset and angry passengers.

CE service affected, as CSD was down the back dealing with the issues - one cabin crew member did an outstanding job at doing most the CE service singlehandedly. Which was made easier by the drinks running out anyway, no water or soft drinks left halfway through the flight. Bravo.
Are you saying CE ran out of water and juice? What a complete disaster.
What is astonishing is that nobody seems to care in Waterside Tower. A public announcement with apologies should have been done. But hey Alex Cruz might think it is actually a great thing as it will save a few £££ on drinks given for free to CE passengers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.