Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
We have gone through this service provider to fee grabber transition at Air NZ. Now you can choose to have just the seat or buy a seat plus IFE and meals (usually about an extra GBP25 for a GBP3 meal). Once the pre-paid are served, then you can order via the screens for food/drinks if you have just bought the seat-only fare (cc-only). Seems to work though average flight times are about 3 hours (Aus and Pacific Islands). Domestic still free tea/coffee and a biscuit - no BoB as times are short. Fares can be low but this is more about competition than netting off the cost of the poor quality, small quantity, fat/sugar heavy meals.
Frankly this is here to stay - airlines get addicted to fees. What I object to is that what was once included is now fully priced. If I have to pay for my bag, provide delivery guarantees, promise insurance for lost bags so I can buy essentials without a legal battle and even go one better and deliver it to my hotel. If I buy a meal how about I have the choice to buy the club class meal instead of high street sandwiches. You want to create tray envy rather than simply offer something I can buy in 30 minutes as a meal-deal. Airlines are so dumb in their thinking. Fees are a means to actually offer great product but they think about taking former service items away and making it a fee product. I would pay more for these products but won't pay for the current range of service-free products now I have the choice. BA and its innovation-free, lazy thinking has nothing to differentiate itself from the rest; it is a blue plane rather than an orange one or a green one.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by fiona
and nobody offered to use their card for him??
Good point, I would have paid in a flash, and I'm sure many others would too if they'd known. Easy to read it on here, I suppose, but noticing it maybe harder.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
You're right, our taxis out are long but I don't think the CAA would like non safety related activity, like taking food orders during taxi.

The way to do it would be to cook the items before take off even though they may not be bought but we have been told not to do that and these two hot items are not being loaded on these shorter flights.
I believe this is actually what easyjet do on short sectors. I know someone who is a friend of a purser out of Gatwick, and I'm fairly sure he said that he puts about 4 bacon sandwiches on to heat before take off. Then on an AMS they can sell them straight after take off. He said the crew have them if not sold, and I guess easyjet officially sanction this.

I guess that's the cost of ensuring you can offer your paying customers a service they want and you promise.

Last edited by shefgab; Jan 16, 2017 at 1:53 am
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Free water?

On 11 January. last eve flight LHR-EDI (which parks a mile away at the old Turnhouse building).
BOB business was brisk; 2 CC started the trolley at row 1, (fair enough) but the other 2 CC started at row 11, which I thought strange and struggled to get to the end of the absolutely full plane (1 vacant seat ).
As we descended to EDI one CC said to me "I think I've broken their machine!"
Was served first (sitting in 22B as I had a delayed connecting flight,) with a complimentary bottle of water as we taxied onto take-off runway at LHR. (Thought I was on AA coach where elites get freebies and didn't think BA were doing this! All with a CIV nil score on the i-pad (It must be my charm...)
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Why? We can't live without food or drink for 2 hours? We are adults, not babies, and have the capacity to tolerate frustration.
To be fair, on an early morning departure I know I tend to get to the airport as late as possible, therefore often not having time (today included with delays at security) to get something at the airport with the huge queues that now seem to have emerged at take away food outlets - so from getting up to boarding your flight, where you would expect to be able to eat I can manage - but then plus 2 hours makes it a total joke and some could argue dangerous...

Also given I booked this flight before the changes were announced and then for them to not be able to offer their "seasonally inspired M&S on board menu" is pretty poor imo.

Adding to the fact the flight was late leaving London as per usual.. Can't wait to use my Avios all up and be done with it.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Haven't two separate cabin crew said the official BA policy is to only serve free water after the BOB service is completed?
Correct.

So, yes, technically free water is still available at the end of the BoB service.

But that's like saying that free water is available in the local planning office, in the cellar, in the dark, at the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying beware of the leopard.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Correct.

So, yes, technically free water is still available at the end of the BoB service.

But that's like saying that free water is available in the local planning office, in the cellar, in the dark, at the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying beware of the leopard.
ROFL

I think you sum up the situation better than ever!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Plus it may be allegorical: even DME-LHR is only 4 hours.

My 4 services with BoB had water available for free (and in at least 2 of them it was Highland Spring "Tap" water).
Or a germy Highland Spring bottle being reused to hold tap water!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
We have gone through this service provider to fee grabber transition at Air NZ. Now you can choose to have just the seat or buy a seat plus IFE and meals (usually about an extra GBP25 for a GBP3 meal). Once the pre-paid are served, then you can order via the screens for food/drinks if you have just bought the seat-only fare (cc-only). Seems to work though average flight times are about 3 hours (Aus and Pacific Islands). Domestic still free tea/coffee and a biscuit - no BoB as times are short. Fares can be low but this is more about competition than netting off the cost of the poor quality, small quantity, fat/sugar heavy meals.
Frankly this is here to stay - airlines get addicted to fees. What I object to is that what was once included is now fully priced. If I have to pay for my bag, provide delivery guarantees, promise insurance for lost bags so I can buy essentials without a legal battle and even go one better and deliver it to my hotel. If I buy a meal how about I have the choice to buy the club class meal instead of high street sandwiches. You want to create tray envy rather than simply offer something I can buy in 30 minutes as a meal-deal. Airlines are so dumb in their thinking. Fees are a means to actually offer great product but they think about taking former service items away and making it a fee product. I would pay more for these products but won't pay for the current range of service-free products now I have the choice. BA and its innovation-free, lazy thinking has nothing to differentiate itself from the rest; it is a blue plane rather than an orange one or a green one.
Exactly
If they had gone down by a quality meal tray route they would have differentiated themselves.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by TWEED1A
No hot fresh items served on flights with under 30 minutes AST (available service time).

There are, ex-LHR: AMS / BRU / CDG / LBA / MAN / NCL / ​ORY / RTM
The service on my 0800 MAN-LHR on Wednesday last week after the implementation included the old free trolley with hot sandwiches. I recall BA sending me an email with something about the first flight of the day being treated differently although I must have deleted it from my inbox.

Was that a temporary thing?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
The service on my 0800 MAN-LHR on Wednesday last week after the implementation included the old free trolley with hot sandwiches. I recall BA sending me an email with something about the first flight of the day being treated differently although I must have deleted it from my inbox.

Was that a temporary thing?
The flight would have been return catered with the former offer, having night stopped in MAN from the night before - in a way I suppose using up the last of the stock! But just a temporary thing for the first flights coming back from night stops that day.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Travelled LHR-BCN and the service didn't seem to get completed. One pax got a bacon roll just on 10 mins to landing.. Trolley to clear waste came through after this. There seemed to be difficulties with processing payment and printing receipts.

As an experiment, I tried emptying the unused portion glass of sparkling water into a small plastic bottle in the lounge. Maybe something to try with other bubbles next time?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Not quite sure about the need for any food on those short hops.
Was thinking that myself when they have much shorter flight times than many daily commutes to work by road and train.

Pity BA weren't allowed to sell food and drink at the gate to those arriving early waiting to board.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by londonba2014
The flight would have been return catered with the former offer, having night stopped in MAN from the night before - in a way I suppose using up the last of the stock! But just a temporary thing for the first flights coming back from night stops that day.
That makes sense - thanks.

So I had the rare experience of getting something for nothing from BA? Normally the other way around for me.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Etihad Silver
Travelled out from GLA - LHR - INN on 7th January before BoB, all routes served really well no issues.

Now travelled INN - LGW - GLA on Friday 13th January with BoB and both flights were chaos.

On INN - LGW they only had about 4 sandwiches for the whole flight, I was in low row and managed to get one - which Best before date was 13th? Soggy and stale tasting bread. Lots of issues with the machines as others have mentioned, they were still trying to serve people as the 10 minutes before landing call came.

On LGW - GLA full flight - flight was late leaving due to special assistance leaving someone behind then when service did start they managed to get to row 6 before the 10 minutes to landing 90% of the flight didn't even get a sniff, loads of problems with the machines again - including the no cash causing lots of issues.

I'm shocked that they don't do a pre-order system, on check in order what you want then and even pay for it, then delivered to your seat on the flight?

It also seems from what I've witnessed that training is a major issue, plus a change to normal routines. Lets hope it all sorts itself out but i'm not impressed with the offerings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.