Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Originally Posted by allturnleft
BA the no service airline!
Why dont they just offer free drinks in this situation
Apparently they have been told not to, not even the pilot has permission to do this, as all stock has to be accounted for. It would have been less of an issue if cash was accepted
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
One concern I have, which I will send to CR Newcastle, is that my mobile telephone was out of my possession, and out of my sight, for 4 minutes, timings above. It was returned to me with the Recent Transactions page visible, rather than Account Details which was showing when it left my possession. I accept that was probably just a handling accident, it's easily done, but still it irked me. I have a PIN lock on switching to other Apps, but I don't think many people set that up. The wallet with my phone had various work badges, my Party card, and credit cards, which I would never normally let go out of my sight. Had I been extra sharp at the time I could have headed this off - I would have simply handed over my BAEC card instead.
====
It would certainly irk me to. In fact I think that i would flatly refuse letting someone go away with my phone, that is simply not on.

I am happy to take your word for it that the bacon roll was good, but to be honest, based on the photo, i don't think it looks very tempting. On the other hand the porridge looks fine.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BA6948
A colleague of mine .....is wondering what differentiates BA from easyJet ....
One has blue inside and no orange, the other has orange inside and no blue.
Both have Orange for sale at around the same price.
Do they prefer blue or orange, or aren't bothered?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Is it realistic that if there is no service on board with BOB due to the fault of BA, that there would be some compensation due in the form of avios to the passenger?

Would love to hear of someone trying this out!
So if you go to Tesco and they ran out of what you wanted or they closed down because of a till problem, would you ask for compensation?

I am not saying I don't understand where you are coming from but I also can't see this one flying, so to speak.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by mario
So if you go to Tesco and they ran out of what you wanted or they closed down because of a till problem, would you ask for compensation?

I am not saying I don't understand where you are coming from but I also can't see this one flying, so to speak.
Except I could walk out of Tesco and go to Sainsbury or Morrisons.Will BA land to let me off if there is no food?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by orbitmic
It would certainly irk me to. In fact I think that i would flatly refuse letting someone go away with my phone, that is simply not on.

I am happy to take your word for it that the bacon roll was good, but to be honest, based on the photo, i don't think it looks very tempting. On the other hand the porridge looks fine.
I find it unacceptable that I should hand my phone over.

Also, I agree on the bacon roll, it looks very dry to me.

Does a pin lock for switching Apps exist for iOS devices?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
11.36 - Bit of turbulence over the Alps. Not much screaming.
Thanks for the laugh in the middle of this thread.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by florens
Does a pin lock for switching Apps exist for iOS devices?
Look into Guided Access, where you can lock a specific app to the screen, or restrict what someone can do within that app, without a PIN or fingerprint authentication.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Is it realistic that if there is no service on board with BOB due to the fault of BA, that there would be some compensation due in the form of avios to the passenger?

Would love to hear of someone trying this out!
Compensation for not being able to buy something you probably wouldn't have bought anyway?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by tgoldsmith
Look into Guided Access, where you can lock a specific app to the screen, or restrict what someone can do within that app, without a PIN or fingerprint authentication.
Thanks! ^
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by mario

Originally Posted by rapidex
Except I could walk out of Tesco and go to Sainsbury or Morrisons.Will BA land to let me off if there is no food?
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Compensation for not being able to buy something you probably wouldn't have bought anyway?
When you buy the ticket, it says FOOD AND DRINK AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE ON BOARD.

Well in this case it wasn't available now, was it?

If some of the posters here don't seem to mind, then god help us, BA will really be able to get away with murder then!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

====

One concern I have, which I will send to CR Newcastle, is that my mobile telephone was out of my possession, and out of my sight, for 4 minutes, timings above. It was returned to me with the Recent Transactions page visible, rather than Account Details which was showing when it left my possession. I accept that was probably just a handling accident, it's easily done, but still it irked me. I have a PIN lock on switching to other Apps, but I don't think many people set that up. The wallet with my phone had various work badges, my Party card, and credit cards, which I would never normally let go out of my sight. Had I been extra sharp at the time I could have headed this off - I would have simply handed over my BAEC card instead.
====
That's pretty bad, not just from the security perspective but also from the staff "liability" (not necessarily legal liability) perspective. I don't keep my phone in a wallet or any kind of protection because I know I'm not going to drop it. However if Mr CC is running back and forth during turbulence, I can see it getting dropped or scratched somewhere.

I'm with orbitmic in that I would not plan to allow it out of my sight, but I can see a situation in which I'm slightly distracted and staff member assumes permission to take it out of my hands was permission to take it away.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
When you buy the ticket, it says FOOD AND DRINK AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE ON BOARD.

Well in this case it wasn't available now, was it?

If some of the posters here don't seem to mind, then god help us, BA will really be able to get away with murder then!
the ticket also says the flight will be X hours XX minutes, sometimes it isn't. Doesn't mean I am due compensation.

In the vast majority of cases food and drink was available to purchase on board. Any teething issues will get resolved and that few cases where it wasn't will get resolved.

Compensation if you don't get your champagne, compensation if you can't buy food.....
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Calchas
That's pretty bad, not just from the security perspective but also from the staff "liability" (not necessarily legal liability) perspective. I don't keep my phone in a wallet or any kind of protection because I know I'm not going to drop it. However if Mr CC is running back and forth during turbulence, I can see it getting dropped or scratched somewhere.

I'm with orbitmic in that I would not plan to allow it out of my sight, but I can see a situation in which I'm slightly distracted and staff member assumes permission to take it out of my hands was permission to take it away.
In the US TSA staff verifying your documents ask you to scan yourself the boarding pass on your phone. They never take your phone in their hands as they are indeed afraid of liability issues if they would drop or damage your phone. I cannot imagine BA allowing their staff to proceed as was described by cws.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:42 am

Last edited by adrianjc32; Mar 30, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.