Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by BA6948
In the other hand, AA welcomed me with a soft drink and pretzels and as a BA Gold, I got a wind and a sandwich.
Auto-correct at work here, I'm sure, but that's a very poetic image Any airline looking to set itself apart in the current climate could do much worse than adopt "A wind and a sandwich" as its next tag line. What more could any passenger ask for?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by George Kyriakos
Quick note on an LHR-ATH-LHR hop. Outbound journey had a cheerful announcement about BOB, with how the food that you love is now just a card swipe away. That card swipe seemed to take about 15 minutes per person, as more than half an hour after the trolley started from the first row it had yet to move more than an inch towards the back of the plane. .................................................. .

About as succinct an illustration as any, of the disparity between scripted BA marketing spin and the real world experience of so many of its passengers !

Right up there with other well-known Top Ten chart-toppers we won't be overcharging like the LCC's and our new lounge will be open as scheduled ............
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Well, not yet
I hope you are not holding your breath then as it hasn't happened elsewhere in the industry

Last edited by simons1; Jan 31, 2017 at 2:03 am
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
Interestingly (and contrary to some gloomy predictions), there indeed seems to have been a price drop in the cheapest HBO fares - for example, I am currently looking at a 80GBP return LHR-MUC on HBO (the lowest ones used to be around 98GBP or so, and it is a route I search/fly fairly frequently). On these dates, that corresponds almost exactly to EasyJet prices from both LGW and STN.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by BAMuc
Interestingly (and contrary to some gloomy predictions), there indeed seems to have been a price drop in the cheapest HBO fares - for example, I am currently looking at a 80GBP return LHR-MUC on HBO (the lowest ones used to be around 98GBP or so, and it is a route I search/fly fairly frequently). On these dates, that corresponds almost exactly to EasyJet prices from both LGW and STN.
Could it be due to a current sale that is running? See if the prices rise tomorrow.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:38 am

All the internal talk and feedback, apart from the payment problems, has so far focussed on selling out of stock. Crew feedback is mostly that BA has hugely underestimated demand. Hopefully each day provides more data so supply can be matched with individual flight demand.

Despite the reactions on here, BoB is proving to be very popular. Even I'm surprised.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
Originally Posted by layz
Could it be due to a current sale that is running? See if the prices rise tomorrow.
They weren't at this level a few days ago, but I'll check tomorrow (unless I forget the unforgettable...).
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're looking at OSPCV2R (£50 base fare) it expires this evening.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Possibly a marketing masterstroke at work here. Light stock everything and then after a month proclaim what a huge success it has been and that you are having to double the quantity of everything on board. rather than overstock, end up with the same waste that you introduced it to reduce. if overstock you have the opposite problem when you reduce stocking and everyone then starts saying "told you it would be a disaster"

in reality it could just be that things run out because it has proven been more popular than people expected, especially based on the general negativity and skepticism on here.
Yes absolutely. I think BA 'starved' it's passengers on purpose in the beginning of BOB and made stocks low as seen on this thread, and now suddenly, 'we have huge demand' so our customers requested us to increase our stocks on board so everyone can enjoy!

I do get the feeling though that some people BOB because they did not expect BA to have buy on board and were surprised when it happened, so almost ordered out of necessity. These people you can fool once, but chances are next time they will just bring their own pret a manger etc on board now that they know!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I flew BRU-LHR on Monday, and the menu in my seat pocket already looked incredibly tatty, as if it had been chewed by a dog, folded over then sat on by same.

Those in the seats nearby weren't quite as bad but still looked very used.

Not a great impression when the theory is that the food is now 'premium'. Does anyone know the 'shelf life' of the menu? How often will they be replaced?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
I flew BRU-LHR on Monday, and the menu in my seat pocket already looked incredibly tatty, as if it had been chewed by a dog, folded over then sat on by same.

Those in the seats nearby weren't quite as bad but still looked very used.

Not a great impression when the theory is that the food is now 'premium'. Does anyone know the 'shelf life' of the menu? How often will they be replaced?
"Our customers have told us they appreciate seeing well-used menus, as it reflects the enthusiasm other customers have shown for our extensive on-board catering experience (partnered by M&S)."
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by T8191
"Our customers have told us they appreciate seeing well-used menus, as it reflects the enthusiasm other customers have shown for our extensive on-board catering experience (partnered by M&S)."
I managed to PDF the menus to share it with you guys on FT but FT does not allow me to upload the file as it is too large!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I managed to PDF the menus to share it with you guys on FT but FT does not allow me to upload the file as it is too large!
Don't worry, the menu has been posted above (and via the Wiki): Photos of full BoB menu post #293
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
I flew BRU-LHR on Monday, and the menu in my seat pocket already looked incredibly tatty, .........................

Good question !

IIRC, we were assured during the pre-launch hype that the BoB offerings would be "seasonally-inspired"

It remains to be seen whether there will indeed be any significant change or widening in the various menu items - 'seasonal' or otherwise.

As for the actual printed menus, time will tell whether
a) these are replaced when they become tatty, b) only when the food itself changes, or c) BA are sufficiently inspired to replace them at all.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Use a free online PDF compress service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.