Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Absolutely : but I was actually referring to buying the products not on board but at the terminal shops.....either way it's silly
Its hardly a huge issue to buy a sandwich and bottle of water at a UK airport but on the return some airports don't have any decent food.

Of course these are the flights where often there is no food left.

As I said before BA should be loading those hot sub sandwich things M&S serves.

Poor show all round.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:49 am

The vast amount of onboard sales of M+S products seem to have done nothing to help M+S profits.Perhaps if more was loaded....
Old May 24, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
The vast amount of onboard sales of M+S products seem to have done nothing to help M+S profits.Perhaps if more was loaded....
Not sure what M&S are getting out of this bar bad publicity.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:40 pm

A new experience (for me) on the LGW Venice flight, Monday this week. The cabin crew were doing 1 trolley, 2 crew and an ipad each.

Seemed a little quicker, but could be only 30% take up. Spoke to the cabin crew and they said they are normally issued 2 ipads but most don't like to use it so they only take one.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I have had two transactions show up on my credit card bill for transactions that supposedly occurred on May 9, 2017, but I haven't flown BA short-haul since the end of February. Do Tourvest really take 2-3 months to post these transactions? Or did mine simply get lost en route?

I don't think they're fraudulent, since I see no other Tourvest transactions and I definitely did buy something.

It just makes a mess of doing one's expenses!
It can take an awfully long time for offline transactions to post, especially if a POS gets lost or breaks down.

If you have a cooperative card issuer you can raise chargebacks for them for not being posted within 30 days of the transaction.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by stifle
It can take an awfully long time for offline transactions to post, especially if a POS gets lost or breaks down.

If you have a cooperative card issuer you can raise chargebacks for them for not being posted within 30 days of the transaction.
Can BA dispute the chargeback saying that you paid for the goods in the end, or do they have no recourse if it is posted more than 30 days later?
Old May 27, 2017, 5:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Can BA dispute the chargeback saying that you paid for the goods in the end, or do they have no recourse if it is posted more than 30 days later?
The retailer has provided a product with the expectation that it will be paid for the supply. There is no legal basis to seek a chargeback for a delayed transaction where those goods have been properly supplied.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The retailer has provided a product with the expectation that it will be paid for the supply. There is no legal basis to seek a chargeback for a delayed transaction where those goods have been properly supplied.
Yes rather ridiculous chargeback request if you have enjoyed a coffee or dare I say one of the elusive sandwiches.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:26 am

So my 2 Avios worth. My first BA Economy experience some 6 months after BOB launched yesterday CFU - LHR.

Probably about 90% full in Y, 16.30ish departure.
As an aside whilst the catering options at CFU have always been limited there is currently a bit of building work going on so there is just a slightly reduced cafe available. Anyway, I had eaten a nice lunch on the island before heading to the airport, so just had a drink in the airport.

Announcement about BOB saying that they would shortly ask for hot food orders. They never did. They did do the no cash bit but TBH I may well have not really twigged it had I not been listening out for it. Two trolley's appeared shortly after crew released. Both went to the front of the cabin.

Couldn't tell if they had technical issues but take up was clearly brisk (maybe not surprising given departure time and limited airport options). It took over TWO HOURS for the trolley to get to us in row 27. In that time the poor crew member closest to the rear galley who had been doing the payments for his colleague on the trolley kept being dispatched to fetch and/or heat sandwiches etc. He must have walked half way back from Corfu!

When the trolley got to us, I was actually really hungry, unexpectedly. I was told they had:
No Sandwiches or bacon rolls
No Salads
No Kitkats
No cashews
No porridge
No Fruit
Only a pack of salt and Vinegar crisps (singular)

I have to say I did express my annoyance (I was Hangry, what can I say!) at this as and the crew member went off to check and returned to say he had "found another two bacon rolls hidden in the back of the cupboard" which we eagerly coughed up for along with a white wine (which does seem to have improved).

Then as I was eating my bacon roll (about 2.5 hours after take off) we realised they were actually still cold in the centre....Not good from a food standards POV! We didn't complain on board as a bit of cold bacon wont kill me (though it really shouldn't happen as it isn't good practice), I assume the crew heated them as instructed and obviously by this point they were half eaten so they couldn't exactly pop them back in for 10 mins, plus as I'd already whinged about the lack of food I didn't want to sound like a total whingebag! I have tweeted M&S and BA. M&S have already responded saying they are sure BA will get back to us, but nothing yet!

Long (sorry) story short it was a pretty pathetic experience on a previously band 4 flight where everyone got a hot meal (we booked before BOB was announced). I feel so sorry for the crew having to deliver this service, it must drive them demented. They really did give the impression that they didn't know what they were going / were muddling though, six months after launch.

Alex needs to get his high-vis off and his service waistcoat on and find out what his staff are battling with. It all just looked like a shambles compared to the slick old days.

Wont be in a rush to fly BA again where I have a choice...
Old May 31, 2017, 4:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sharratt4
Then as I was eating my bacon roll (about 2.5 hours after take off) we realised they were actually still cold in the centre....Not good from a food standards POV! We didn't complain on board as a bit of cold bacon wont kill me (though it really shouldn't happen as it isn't good practice),
That bacon roll I think needs 10 minutes in the oven, and perhaps left for a minute before opening the pack. I also take a fairly robust view to eating stuff a bit off-spec, but I would draw the line at insufficiently cooked bacon, that is actually quite risky. Now almost certainly the fact that it is wrapped and in a fairly hermetic food process will mean you are correct, but whinge-reputation or not, that really has to go back if cold.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That bacon roll I think needs 10 minutes in the oven, and perhaps left for a minute before opening the pack. I also take a fairly robust view to eating stuff a bit off-spec, but I would draw the line at insufficiently cooked bacon, that is actually quite risky. Now almost certainly the fact that it is wrapped and in a fairly hermetic food process will mean you are correct, but whinge-reputation or not, that really has to go back if cold.
Ordinarily I would have, but I assumed (thinking about it now, hopefully correctly!!!) that the bacon wasn't totally raw, but previously cooked and then just reheated on-board. That said, if I don't post again after today...
Old May 31, 2017, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Surely what the conditions are for a valid chargeback to be made depends on what the agreement between the card issuer and the retailer states rather than the underlying transaction between retailer and consumer?
It is perfectly conceivable that a chargeback may be valid in such a situation notwithstanding compliance by the retailer with the underlying contract with the consumer if this is what the agreement between card issuer and retailer provides. If that were the case, it would then be up to the retailer to take action to recover whatever sums are due to them (eg by starting legal proceedings against the consumer should the consumer not pay when requested to do so).
Old May 31, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Is the bacon roll actually uncooked? I thought the bacon would have already been cooked and all they were doing was reheating it?
Old May 31, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Long (sorry) story short it was a pretty pathetic experience on a previously band 4 flight where everyone got a hot meal (we booked before BOB was announced). I feel so sorry for the crew having to deliver this service, it must drive them demented. They really did give the impression that they didn't know what they were going / were muddling though, six months after launch.
A bit off topic, but I'm fairly sure that the new Greek holiday routes (like CFU) never had a hot meal in Y, just a "more substantial" lunchbox. That's what I had anyway with Santorini and Mykonos. I think only the "old" Band 4 flights (e.g. ATH LCA IST) had hot meals.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
So my 2 Avios worth. My first BA Economy experience some 6 months after BOB launched yesterday CFU - LHR.

Probably about 90% full in Y, 16.30ish departure.
As an aside whilst the catering options at CFU have always been limited there is currently a bit of building work going on so there is just a slightly reduced cafe available. Anyway, I had eaten a nice lunch on the island before heading to the airport, so just had a drink in the airport.

Announcement about BOB saying that they would shortly ask for hot food orders. They never did. They did do the no cash bit but TBH I may well have not really twigged it had I not been listening out for it. Two trolley's appeared shortly after crew released. Both went to the front of the cabin.

Couldn't tell if they had technical issues but take up was clearly brisk (maybe not surprising given departure time and limited airport options). It took over TWO HOURS for the trolley to get to us in row 27. In that time the poor crew member closest to the rear galley who had been doing the payments for his colleague on the trolley kept being dispatched to fetch and/or heat sandwiches etc. He must have walked half way back from Corfu!

When the trolley got to us, I was actually really hungry, unexpectedly. I was told they had:
No Sandwiches or bacon rolls
No Salads
No Kitkats
No cashews
No porridge
No Fruit
Only a pack of salt and Vinegar crisps (singular)

I have to say I did express my annoyance (I was Hangry, what can I say!) at this as and the crew member went off to check and returned to say he had "found another two bacon rolls hidden in the back of the cupboard" which we eagerly coughed up for along with a white wine (which does seem to have improved).

Then as I was eating my bacon roll (about 2.5 hours after take off) we realised they were actually still cold in the centre....Not good from a food standards POV! We didn't complain on board as a bit of cold bacon wont kill me (though it really shouldn't happen as it isn't good practice), I assume the crew heated them as instructed and obviously by this point they were half eaten so they couldn't exactly pop them back in for 10 mins, plus as I'd already whinged about the lack of food I didn't want to sound like a total whingebag! I have tweeted M&S and BA. M&S have already responded saying they are sure BA will get back to us, but nothing yet!

Alex needs to get his high-vis off and his service waistcoat on and find out what his staff are battling with. It all just looked like a shambles compared to the slick old days.

Wont be in a rush to fly BA again where I have a choice...
You must have been lucky to get the bacon roll. Your peers from other holiday routes and even flights from Rome weren't lucky as being reported on twitter. Complains about BoB have spiked since last week ends chaos. Passengers are now really thinking BA has lost the plot and transformed into a very expensive low quality budget airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.