FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service
Old May 31, 2017, 5:38 am
BA6948

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Sharratt4
So my 2 Avios worth. My first BA Economy experience some 6 months after BOB launched yesterday CFU - LHR.

Probably about 90% full in Y, 16.30ish departure.
As an aside whilst the catering options at CFU have always been limited there is currently a bit of building work going on so there is just a slightly reduced cafe available. Anyway, I had eaten a nice lunch on the island before heading to the airport, so just had a drink in the airport.

Announcement about BOB saying that they would shortly ask for hot food orders. They never did. They did do the no cash bit but TBH I may well have not really twigged it had I not been listening out for it. Two trolley's appeared shortly after crew released. Both went to the front of the cabin.

Couldn't tell if they had technical issues but take up was clearly brisk (maybe not surprising given departure time and limited airport options). It took over TWO HOURS for the trolley to get to us in row 27. In that time the poor crew member closest to the rear galley who had been doing the payments for his colleague on the trolley kept being dispatched to fetch and/or heat sandwiches etc. He must have walked half way back from Corfu!

When the trolley got to us, I was actually really hungry, unexpectedly. I was told they had:
No Sandwiches or bacon rolls
No Salads
No Kitkats
No cashews
No porridge
No Fruit
Only a pack of salt and Vinegar crisps (singular)

I have to say I did express my annoyance (I was Hangry, what can I say!) at this as and the crew member went off to check and returned to say he had "found another two bacon rolls hidden in the back of the cupboard" which we eagerly coughed up for along with a white wine (which does seem to have improved).

Then as I was eating my bacon roll (about 2.5 hours after take off) we realised they were actually still cold in the centre....Not good from a food standards POV! We didn't complain on board as a bit of cold bacon wont kill me (though it really shouldn't happen as it isn't good practice), I assume the crew heated them as instructed and obviously by this point they were half eaten so they couldn't exactly pop them back in for 10 mins, plus as I'd already whinged about the lack of food I didn't want to sound like a total whingebag! I have tweeted M&S and BA. M&S have already responded saying they are sure BA will get back to us, but nothing yet!

Long (sorry) story short it was a pretty pathetic experience on a previously band 4 flight where everyone got a hot meal (we booked before BOB was announced). I feel so sorry for the crew having to deliver this service, it must drive them demented. They really did give the impression that they didn't know what they were going / were muddling though, six months after launch.

Alex needs to get his high-vis off and his service waistcoat on and find out what his staff are battling with. It all just looked like a shambles compared to the slick old days.

Wont be in a rush to fly BA again where I have a choice...
You must have been lucky to get the bacon roll. Your peers from other holiday routes and even flights from Rome weren't lucky as being reported on twitter. Complains about BoB have spiked since last week ends chaos. Passengers are now really thinking BA has lost the plot and transformed into a very expensive low quality budget airline.