FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service
Old May 22, 2017, 8:41 am
aircrashsurvivor

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Had our first SH with BoB lhr to dub a couple of weeks ago
Struck me as both inconvenient for passengers and crew and very inefficient in terms of servicing th cabin. They barely got through half.
I don't really understand the concept. It's either a way to save money by not offering "free" refreshments or reducing costs to load and carry them, or a way to generate income other than fares. But it doesn't imho improve much from a passengers point of view.
We have access to lounges so we often pop in and have a drink and a snack and can live without a drink or food for a 1-2.5 hr flight. And if we can't for a few £ there's lots to get in most terminals.
We did see more people putting a few cans and some crisps and biscuits in their bags than we have seen before and although it happens I don't think thats really the purpose of the lounge food.
Most who have access to lounges aren't the sort of passengers who I'd
think would think twice about a few £'s for a bottle of water and sandwich but I realize I am making an assumption there
Personally I see it as a reduction in service of for nothing more than the time to took to run credit cards and calculate costs...... surely for a few extra £'a per passenger built into the fare supply at least drinks (no alcoholic) and a choice of a bag of crisps, or some sort of 100 calorie snack. If people want "food" that can be a purchase service.
Most North American Airlines operate that way and it's quick and efficient
I thought this was inefficient and gave a sense of "cheapness".....