Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:46 am

Thanks for the tips, especially the notes about the g fares. My understanding, from the thread, was that these fares appeared with a few days notice. I'll take a look on BA.com for the same day flights as it doesn't seem to be restricted to short notice fares.

As for destinations ideally ABZ, but there is nothing cheap going in the next couple of months. I figured a couple of day trips would be a more exciting way of getting 20TP.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by glennnn
As for destinations ideally ABZ, but there is nothing cheap going in the next couple of months. I figured a couple of day trips would be a more exciting way of getting 20TP.
You might be able to get ABZ in CE for 80TPs for about £229 (albeit with a Saturday night stay requirement) which might be a better value than buying expensive Y tickets.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by florens
You might be able to get ABZ in CE for 80TPs for about £229 (albeit with a Saturday night stay requirement) which might be a better value than buying expensive Y tickets.
I'm not that keen ABZ can wait, but thank you.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:30 am

Interesting thread - thanks for the guide on the previous page, c-w-s.

Are there any ways to narrow down the options for those of us based outside London? Obviously day trips eg NCL-LHR-XYZ and back are harder, but an overnight at LHR is feasible - as, I’m guessing, are nesting two overlapping trips?

One of my never-ending frustrations with the BA “Low Fare Finder” (and the cheap holiday finder) is that it assumes everyone is travelling from London. No way of specifying anywhere else as the origin - so you have a two-step shuffle of firstly identifying the cheap destinations (and you can’t sort by price on the LFF), then querying using BA.com or Matrix/Google with NCL or wherever as your origin.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The google flights map trick works for any starting airport and includes multiple hops - I was using it yesterday to look at days out in Sarawak where I'm staying in November (my wife is Malaysian) including some very nice little Twin Otter flights to the unfashionable side of the back of beyond with Maswings via odd airports. You just click on airports and dates until you find something that suits.

Incidentally it does also show up CWS's fares, as far as I can tell, I'm quite tempted by a day trip to Bordeaux, but the Saturday timings suck. Fridays are better it seems. Being 20 minutes down the train line from Gatwick creates a lot of temptation on these fares
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by squawk
Interesting thread - thanks for the guide on the previous page, c-w-s.

Are there any ways to narrow down the options for those of us based outside London? Obviously day trips eg NCL-LHR-XYZ and back are harder, but an overnight at LHR is feasible - as, I’m guessing, are nesting two overlapping trips?
My base is between NCL and EDI, so I've had to live with this issue for a long time. G fares are available from NCL, for £88 return for the awayday to LHR. The problem are the sports' supporters who snaffle them up as soon as fixtures become known. You can do some connections, I don't think you can combine two G fares but you can combine (e.g.) O and then G, and O add-on for NCL can be quite cheap. So for example on 3 February one could do lunch in Dublin for £138 as NCL-LHR-DUB return. You'd have only about 2 hours in Dublin city centre though, since the early and late NCL services aren't either, really.

EDI has more options (and more through fares).

I'm afraid this is where experience really helps, because the G fares are Private Fares they won't necessarily come up on ITA Matrix or Google Flights, it gives a fare of £160 O+O since it can't see O+G. Skyscanner.net does see this information, albeit by scraping fare information off online travel bookers who have access to Private Fares, so you could use them and reverse engineer back to BA.com

There is no harm in putting a thread up saying "I want to do a NCL away day on this date, best I've come up with is DUB at £138, any better ideas going?"
Aus_Mal, squawk and bisonrav like this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, just to carry along bisonrav's comments a little, you probably best search for the "usual suspects", such as DUB via ba.com and see if you are getting a low rate. G isn't normally sold as a standalone ticket, it's a bucket used by BA Holidays and other oddities, but on Awaydays it does get picked up by BA.com. You have to be a bit careful on other search media since they may not pick up the same fares, since using G for Awaydays is a special fare.

Here is an example:

It comes up at £79.90, however this isn't the cheapest DUB flight since if you book with enough notice you can get a longer dated ticket for £75 anyway, and so in some cases it's not just a G fare you are looking for.

So the best way to find these fares? Find Our Cheapest Fares on BA.com, go Europe, then set the stay length to "Day Trip". I can see Bordeaux on £56 on some weekends, bit of an early start, but sufficient time for a great lunch in la Belle Endormie.

And by all means be a bit more specific if you wish, and I'm sure we can find you something interesting!
Even then, its not overly straight forward. It might come up as lowest fare £44 each way for example, but it'll only let you book a £396 fare outbound... then give you £44 for the return.

Having said that, if you dig deep enough, you can find day trip fares for around £80-£90. I don't remember the last time I spent the whole weekend at home...

Ususal candidates for day returns are NCE (where I'm currently sat), GVA, MAD and NCL.

Sometimes AMS, EDI and GLA pop up for that price too, but they're not as common
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I've done day trips to VCE, FCO, BOD, MAD, BCN, SVG, BGO, CPH and AMS all for under £100 each. Generally very tiring with such an early start but well worth the effort. The Stavanger trip was particularly memorable for a boat trip up the Lysefjord in superb weather.
Calchas and bisonrav like this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:47 am

My base is between NCL and EDI, so I've had to live with this issue for a long time. G fares are available from NCL, for £88 return for the awayday to LHR.

You can do some connections, I don't think you can combine two G fares but you can combine (e.g.) O and then G, and O add-on for NCL can be quite cheap. So for example on 3 February one could do lunch in Dublin for £138 as NCL-LHR-DUB return. You'd have only about 2 hours in Dublin city centre though, since the early and late NCL services aren't either, really.

EDI has more options (and more through fares).

I'm afraid this is where experience really helps, because the G fares are Private Fares they won't necessarily come up on ITA Matrix or Google Flights, it gives a fare of £160 O+O since it can't see O+G. Skyscanner.net does see this information, albeit by scraping fare information off online travel bookers who have access to Private Fares, so you could use them and reverse engineer back to BA.com

There is no harm in putting a thread up saying "I want to do a NCL away day on this date, best I've come up with is DUB at £138, any better ideas going?"
Thanks, as ever, corporate-wage-slave for your detailed reply - given your base, I did wonder if you had a creative solution for finding good fares from this region ^ Working backwards from Skyscanner isn't something I'd have considered, without this kind of background knowledge about what is/isn't possible.

The problem are the sports' supporters who snaffle them up as soon as fixtures become known.
That's a nugget of information worth filing away: ensure one books the fares before the football fixture list is released!

Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Ususal candidates for day returns are NCE (where I'm currently sat), GVA, MAD and NCL.

Sometimes AMS, EDI and GLA pop up for that price too, but they're not as common
Originally Posted by snuffi
I've done day trips to VCE, FCO, BOD, MAD, BCN, SVG, BGO, CPH and AMS all for under £100 each. Generally very tiring with such an early start but well worth the effort. The Stavanger trip was particularly memorable for a boat trip up the Lysefjord in superb weather.
Thank you, jwhite9185 and snuffi. That gives some interesting ideas.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by glennnn
Just to close the loop, ABZ is £88 for this Sunday booking into G. Only showing on BA.com.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
VIE is £102.

If you don't feel like some fine Caledonian weather

More generally, these fares are sometimes available on Saturdays as well as Sundays. They do not allow an overnight stay, unfortunately.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Had forgotten all about these. Great day out and some good fares out there for the next few weekends..
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
BSL is available too exLHR for £97, and the other way round as well for about the same.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Are these fares gone or just removed from GVA route during ski season? In past, I used to fly to Geneva Motor Show on this day trip ticket or using Avios, but can't find anything this year and checked it some time ago, so not very last minute. Other arilines are expensive for day returns too.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Holy thread revival Batman...

I've seen deals for one and two night stays in Europe. In fact, I booked one last weekend for Prague for £90 and one for Luxembourg for £80.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.