Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by saint_em
Marseille is a stand-out in terms of price...how easy is it to get into the city (or somewhere else nice for a wander and a spot of lunch)?
Marseille has a shuttle bus service to St. Charles (the main station) which runs every 15 minutes and costs €8.30. It takes about 30 minutes. From there you are in easy walking distance of the old port and the main shopping and restaurant areas. MRS also has good connections to other places like Arles and Aix if you time it right, it takes about 40 minutes in both cases and essentially a 30 minute interval time. See the unusually helpful MRS airport official website for the low-down.

HAJ is on the S Bahn, and has easy / fast access into the city centre, though the service frequency is one per 30 minutes. Takes 20 minutes or so and the city centre is very walkable, with a wide range of shops and bars around the city centre and the Marktkirche, a forbidding Gothic masterpiece. So that would be a good option too. However MRS is Terminal 3..... I would do both, but if you like a seafood lunch it would have to be MRS.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
Thanks both. Sadly no status these days & I'd never hear the end of it if I booked a flight from T3 with no lounge (the Marseille flight is £767 up the front!!), it was bad enough when we were too late for the 'breakfast trifle' in the Qantas lounge (first world problems or what?). Maybe I'd be forgiven if there was a good bouillabaisse at the other end though...
Old May 14, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I'd do Madrid, though it is the furthest and involves the most faffing around, being T4S both ways. If you get in at 09:40 and take the 21:00 back, and take a taxi both ways (30€ each way, though mytaxi may still be running their 50% off offer), you could be in town by 10:30 and leave by 18:45-19:00. Allow an extra 15-20 minutes if you take the 5€ bus and you time it right.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:31 pm

Madrid is nice, although my wife much preferred Hannover - that could be as she speaks more German than Spanish. Train into either city is easy, but I'd probably go for Madrid as there is usually something happening and it's larger.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks both. Sadly no status these days & I'd never hear the end of it if I booked a flight from T3 with no lounge (the Marseille flight is £767 up the front!!),
Anecdotally, so long as you give at least 3 days before travel, there is a good chance that you will be offered a POUG on awayday fares. You can't rely on it definitely happening, but something to bear in mind. In the case of T3 it may be worth a CE RFS which may well be available.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Anyone know why there aren’t any Awayday fares available to FCO this weekend? There’s plenty of capacity on the route.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
A day in Luxembourg is always ok especially for a first visit. Think BA can do this for 52 pounds return on some days. A quick 45 minutes or so flight, ok airport, relatively easy free bus service into town at weekends.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Thanks both. Sadly no status these days & I'd never hear the end of it if I booked a flight from T3 with no lounge (the Marseille flight is £767 up the front!!), it was bad enough when we were too late for the 'breakfast trifle' in the Qantas lounge (first world problems or what?). Maybe I'd be forgiven if there was a good bouillabaisse at the other end though...
Given that you'd have to leave the lounge at 06:40 for the MRS flight, you'd be just as well grabbing a coffee and croissant from Pret and spending longer in bed.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cameramaker
Anyone know why there aren’t any Awayday fares available to FCO this weekend? There’s plenty of capacity on the route.
Short answer: no availability. Capacity is irrelevant if it's all been taken by others.

In truth, there is actually one seat on BA552 LHR-FCO at 0700 on Sunday, but you'd have to fly back on BA549 at 1255, leaving you with about 2¼ hours at FCO.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Short answer: no availability. Capacity is irrelevant if it's all been taken by others.

In truth, there is actually one seat on BA552 LHR-FCO at 0700 on Sunday, but you'd have to fly back on BA549 at 1255, leaving you with about 2¼ hours at FCO.
Total cost £114 with Plus fare inbound, letting you come back at 21:00. Probably.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
How do you find these fares? I'm struggling to see them anywhere obvious. Is it just a question of looking at the usual suspect routes a few days in advance?

I'm within one return flight of the 12000 avios bonus, so looking for a cheap way of triggering it.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Bordeaux day return on Monday £46
Sealink and bisonrav like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by bisonrav
How do you find these fares? I'm struggling to see them anywhere obvious. Is it just a question of looking at the usual suspect routes a few days in advance?

I'm within one return flight of the 12000 avios bonus, so looking for a cheap way of triggering it.
LUX on 16Jun is showing as £73 same day return. And I think you actually get 14000 bonus - right ?
Old May 17, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Sorry 16000 - right ?
Old May 17, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Sorry 16000 - right ?
yes, sorry, already mentally banked 4000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.