Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
Are these fares gone or just removed from GVA route during ski season? In past, I used to fly to Geneva Motor Show on this day trip ticket or using Avios, but can't find anything this year and checked it some time ago, so not very last minute. Other arilines are expensive for day returns too.
I couldn't last year either! Used EasyJet to the motor show
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by flyuk
Holy thread revival Batman...

I've seen deals for one and two night stays in Europe. In fact, I booked one last weekend for Prague for £90 and one for Luxembourg for £80.
That is great value for a last minute booking.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I couldn't last year either! Used EasyJet to the motor show
Last time I checked, Easy Jet was more expensive than Lufthansa from LHR with change in Germany, but still decent timing.

Originally Posted by flyuk
Holy thread revival Batman...

I've seen deals for one and two night stays in Europe. In fact, I booked one last weekend for Prague for £90 and one for Luxembourg for £80.
But that's not weekend day trip fare ... I used to go to for one day to Geneve, since I had no need to stay overnight and Motor Show is just by the airport. Overnight night stay means more costs, hand luggage, etc. And you don't want to carry anything, even your jacket, when visiting Motor Show, it's crowded and hot. There's temporary Cloak Room but not sure about leaving baggage there.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Still available for £89.

Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last time I checked, Easy Jet was more expensive than Lufthansa from LHR with change in Germany, but still decent timing.

But that's not weekend day trip fare ... I used to go to for one day to Geneve, since I had no need to stay overnight and Motor Show is just by the airport. Overnight night stay means more costs, hand luggage, etc. And you don't want to carry anything, even your jacket, when visiting Motor Show, it's crowded and hot. There's temporary Cloak Room but not sure about leaving baggage there.
I left me small overnight bits in the lockers at the station - about 6EUR

Agreed on the jacket - wound me up carrying that all day !!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And BA are still selling awaydays to GVA, the G selling class is the give away here:

Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And BA are still selling awaydays to GVA, the G selling class is the give away here:
Ok, so it must be ski season or Motor Show and zero availability. I will do search based on G class fares or setup alert in Expert Flyer. I already have alerts for awards.

BTW, I checked the same dates you did, and I get £117 for the same flights. Also on other dates, I can see at the top from £45 but lowest price is £327. Where does this "from £45" come from? I had it before when doing other searches, tickets from xxx but I can't see them.

Looks like new version of website was showing only Plus fares, no basic fares, hence finding higher prices for the same flights as above. What a cr... website.

Last edited by Richmond_Surrey; Feb 21, 2018 at 9:09 am
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ok, so it must be ski season or Motor Show and zero availability. I will do search based on G class fares or setup alert in Expert Flyer. I already have alerts for awards.
The EF alert isn't necessarily reliable here, it is only valid for sale if BA enables a G fare basis for the day. You are probably best off looking for £45 fares each way via ba.com/flights. Unlike with Avios the availability could show up at any time.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BCN and LUX available on Day trips tomorrow - get a T3 departure also ! Any tips on either of these in terms of public transport ease to city and back ?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:06 am

BCN is the more exciting for a day, weekends in LUX can be a bit sleepy. Weekdays too I suppose! But both have rapid and frequent bus services from the from door of the airport to their city centres. In the case of BCN, just add 30 minutes contingency for the return, just more things that can go wrong. Personally, this weekend I would go for BCN, 12 degrees and sunny rather than 4 degrees and cloudy. LUX I think is quite a long day, potentially so random suggestion: hop on the bus or train to Trier - pretty ride to a lovely German city. Favourite CWS eatplace in Luxembourg is Mousel's Cantine. BCN recommendation: L'Arrosseria Xàtiva.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 23, 2018 at 3:12 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
BCN and LUX available on Day trips tomorrow - get a T3 departure also ! Any tips on either of these in terms of public transport ease to city and back ?
I did a day trip to LUX using Avios just before T1 closed for a last visit to a nearly deserted terminal. As CWS says the bus service is convenient. I went on Sunday and (at least back then) it wasn't as frequent on a Sunday but on a Saturday you'll be fine.

I actually walked back from the centre to the airport as I had plenty of time on my hands.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:22 am

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Mousel's Cantine also gets my thumbs up. Stumbled into it basically randomly but had an excellent meal. Some of the bars nearby in Mousel were good too and had good atmospheres even on a mostly sleepy Saturday afternoon.

And when I've been in LUX I've usually stayed at the Sofitel out by the European complex and walking to the airport works. I'm always pleasantly surprised by places where you can walk to the airport.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Are there any Club Europe day trip fares around? I need 80 TP's to get Silver and I don't particularly want to fork out for a night /weekend away as I'm pretty time poor at the moment.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Are there any Club Europe day trip fares around? I need 80 TP's to get Silver and I don't particularly want to fork out for a night /weekend away as I'm pretty time poor at the moment.
IMHO you have two options:
  1. If you book a day trip, you can hope to be offered a POUG on both legs (you’d have to book at least 48 hours in advance of checking in) or an AUP. Neither is guaranteed.
  2. Find a cheap return in CE that involves a Saturday night stay. Look for the cheapest combined price of flight + hotel. After all this option may be cheaper than option 1. If you have any Avios you could use them to part pay and reduce the cost of your ticket.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
I think the cheapest I class domestic route CE are available for same day returns. It should be possible to book them as b2bs, but you may have to call as often ba.com won't offer that even where turnaround is more than MCT. EDI/GLA/NCL/LBA/INV are probably the easier ones to do as a b2b.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.