Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Classic time versus cost curve. The metro is 5EUR and discounting waiting the journey to, say Tribunal, is half an hour. I can't imagine a taxi being significantly quicker?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ENTP
Classic time versus cost curve. The metro is 5EUR and discounting waiting the journey to, say Tribunal, is half an hour. I can't imagine a taxi being significantly quicker?
Oh I can. Which is why I'd take the Metro!

The service frequency only dips to 10 minute frequencies after 22 hrs. During most of the day it is every 8 minutes. It's a bit ponderous.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 10, 2016 at 10:23 am
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by ringingup
A friend who used to live in Madrid suggested we take a bus to Atocha (not sure why), as I imagine the metro will be quicker. I'm even considering a taxi.
Where are you planning on going in Madrid?

If you time it right, I recommend the C-1 suburban train from T4 to central Madrid. It's only every 30 minutes (I believe :28 and :58, but been a while since I checked). But much faster than the metro, and cheaper.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501
Where are you planning on going in Madrid?

If you time it right, I recommend the C-1 suburban train from T4 to central Madrid. It's only every 30 minutes (I believe :28 and :58, but been a while since I checked). But much faster than the metro, and cheaper.
Going to La Latina!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
A friend who used to live in Madrid suggested we take a bus to Atocha (not sure why), as I imagine the metro will be quicker. I'm even considering a taxi.
I don't want to give any negativity - but be exceptionally careful of pick pocketers on the airport train line. They really do go for the tourists!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Going to La Latina!
A taxi would probably take 35 minutes. 30€ fixed fare.

Best option would be the C-1 train to Atocha, then the Metro for 3 stops to Tirso de Molina. Takes about 45 minutes if you time it well. The Metro is only an extra 5-10 minutes but involves 2 changes.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:06 am
Original Poster

How was Madrid? Any tips? Thinking of doing one this weekend. Any other suggestions for this time of year gratefully accepted!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
How was Madrid? Any tips? Thinking of doing one this weekend. Any other suggestions for this time of year gratefully accepted!
I did a day trip to Madrid just over a year ago, if it's of any use:

http://blog.continentalclub.co.uk/fl...rid-for-lunch/
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Best options this time of year are surely the likes of Spain and Italy. BCN's schedule seems to be poor in winter so I'd recommend MAD or BIO (did the former a few weeks ago and doing the latter next weekend)
Milan and Rome both appear decent too, l did the former last spring as a day trip.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by continentalclub
I did a day trip to Madrid just over a year ago, if it's of any use:

http://blog.continentalclub.co.uk/fl...rid-for-lunch/
Wow, great review thank you, just what I was looking for. What a great way to spend a day...
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Madrid was awesome. It was even more exciting because it was a complete surprise for my partner. Staying at the Sofitel T5 the night before made the whole think much more convenient.

We took a taxi from and to the airport to maximise our time, it's a flat fare.

On our arrival to La Latina we had a glass of wine in a bar full of locals (so cheap!), then went for lunch to La Antoņita, had another drink somewhere after lunch and finally walked to the Mercado de San Miguel where we spent the rest of the evening. We took the taxi back at 7 PM.

It was a bit chilly and windy. We would've have walked more otherwise.

Glass of wine as soon as we arrived to La Latina.

Some of the food at La Antonita.

Mercado de San Miguel
Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:39 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

We took a taxi from and to the airport to maximise our time, it's a flat fare.

On our arrival to La Latina we had a glass of wine in a bar full of locals (so cheap!), then went for lunch to La Antoņita, had another drink somewhere after lunch and finally walked to the Mercado de San Miguel where we spent the rest of the evening. We took the taxi back at 7 PM.
Darling - thank you! We want to take out some friends in Madrid (sorry this has nothing to do with BA)

Do you mind telling me how much the taxi is too and fro Barajas? I always take the train. If you have some in from somewhere or are going on somewhere by train - the ticket is free. The Metro is ponderous as CWS says.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Wow, after all those pictures of food and wine my decision is made. Madrid it is!^
Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Someone's not rinsed off one of the plates as they've left all the washing up liquid bubbles all over it
Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Wow, after all those pictures of food and wine my decision is made. Madrid it is!^
Everyone bangs on about Barcelona - and I admit that it is a lovely place - but I find Madrid very much more Spanish and I love it. It has a buzz that get me every time that I visit. What you must remember is that it is really chilly in winter and blazing hot in summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.