Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Has anyone been offered / taken an upgrade offer to CE, which was offered a few days after booking?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A POUG?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...15-thread.html
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Yes, I was referring to POUG but in the specific case of weekend day trips. I did not post in the POUG thread as I thought the question would get lost.

Last year, it was possible to get relatively cheap CE fares on these days trips by choosing flights with good I class availability. POUGs arrived almost exactly 48 hours later. BA Executive Club wrote that the system had been changed to prevent instant offers after purchase.

I also wondered if the "three POUGs and that's your lot" discussed on the board has been an issue.

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Jun 25, 2015 at 11:08 pm
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:53 am
Original Poster

I've two sets of friends who have done these day trips recently. They both highly recommend them. Gives the ultimate bragging rights at work on Monday morning...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Anyone know the feasibility on a Day Trip to Malpensa (Milan)?

Day dreaming about tomorrow
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Poster

If you can get the flights to work Linate is much closer to the city centre.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
If you can get the flights to work Linate is much closer to the city centre.
Can land at 12.15 and depart at 19.50 to/from LIN

Would this be enough time for a nose around and a beer in the sun?

Anyone advise?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Depending on traffic its 15/20 mins from the centre, so I'd say go for it!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Can land at 12.15 and depart at 19.50 to/from LIN

Would this be enough time for a nose around and a beer in the sun?
Oh heaps of time. Jump on the airport bus 73 or X73 (you need 1.50€ in coins, there's a machine there or from the tabac) or the taxi (take off your spectacles if you don't want to witness the speed of driving), and you'll be by the Duomo in 30 minutes from landing, traffic permitting. 73 takes a bit longer than X73, but I just get on the first one to leave. Taxi should be under 20€. The Duomo and the shopping/bars/café areas are a short hop from San Babila.

Linate isn't too bad for getting through if HBO, so I'd suggest leaving central Milan around 18:00 hrs. Should give you 10 minutes in the BA lounge, notable for its range of Italian soda bitters.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I noticed the other day, and there's kind of a hint in an earlier post, but just in case someone else was not aware of this.

BA's Find Our Cheapest Fares has been adapted for weekend awaydays.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...&link=main_nav

Select Europe, then the Return button and "a day trip" drop down, click Find Lowest Price, then click on the top of the Lowest Price blue band on top of the locations.

You then get a sorted list, and if you select (e.g.) Milan, you see the Saturday and Sundays duly marked. The prices need to be doubled to make return, but due to rounding they may be a quid or two cheaper. So an awayday to Milan is showing as £43, total price is £85.71 for the return.

To confirm that you have a cheap ticket, click on the flight number line (BAnnn) in this area. If you are in selling group G you have got yourself a bargain.

Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As always, many thanks CWS Milan is on tomorrow!! Any top tips / easy must sees?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:03 am
Original Poster

It's all pretty compact in the centre, this is a great place to watch the world go by...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galler...io_Emanuele_II

Enjoy, let us know how you get on...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Any top tips / easy must sees?
Business Traveller have a quite comprehensive list of "4 hours in". Some of them are rather limp, and I come away thinking "I could do a better job than that". But others are quite good, which include the Milan 2009 suggestions:

1) The Duomo, as mentioned by CWS
2) Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, as mentioned by BApilotinsider
3) The fashion quarter (Via Montenapoleone, very nearby)
4) Castello Sforzesco (castle, good for selfies, no need to go inside)
5) Jump on a tram, there are some seriously ancient bone shakers there
6) Have a gelato at Grom at 16 Via Santa Margherita

Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow very helpful thanks. Flights POD parking and €100 each for just over £150 and a few avios. This site really is too good

Last edited by mikeyfly; Sep 26, 2015 at 2:52 pm
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to report back - Milan was fantastic. Linate really easy to city and back - used the 73 both ways. Every ten mins and about 20 journey time. Was 26 degrees and just perfect; plenty of time to see Duomo, Galleria, Fashion Quarter (all walking in good distances) plus ticked off Gelato, beer, espresso and pizza! Top tips for someone else; no tickets on sale on bus so buy at machine at airport and from tobacco / some cafes in city. Check price of beer before consuming too much!!! Was more than pizza! Leave Milan for airport at 6pm is plenty of time for 19.50 flight. I'd definitely recommend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.