Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
I don't think so—it isn't BA's plane to fill up.
Even when it's booked through a BA website and they're part of the same airline group? Seems stupid on short-haul. IB could make more euros.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nux
IB does offer online and airport discount upgrade offers, but they do not attract higher avios/TP's.
Ah right, but only if you book through their website,
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Even when it's booked through a BA website and they're part of the same airline group? Seems stupid on short-haul. IB could make more euros.
IB is a separate business with its own management structure. It is true that there are some shared parts (perhaps even revenue management actually?) and a lot of cooperation between the two businesses (e.g., in future compatible cabins so aircraft can be quickly repainted colours and transferred between businesses in under a week).

However they are not "one airline" like AA/US are attempting to be, and to my knowledge the long term plan is to maintain separate identities and business structures.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:51 am
Original Poster

So they do still exist!

"BA has seen a five-fold hike in the number of customers travelling to popular European destinations for day trips. Appropriately, with St Valentine's Day just around the corner, it's the romantic locations that feature most highly.

Stephen Humphreys, Head of UK&I Sales, said: "Valentine's weekend will see the biggest increase in people travelling on our day-return flights since we launched them back in March 2014."
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
So they do still exist!

"BA has seen a five-fold hike in the number of customers travelling to popular European destinations for day trips. Appropriately, with St Valentine's Day just around the corner, it's the romantic locations that feature most highly.

Stephen Humphreys, Head of UK&I Sales, said: "Valentine's weekend will see the biggest increase in people travelling on our day-return flights since we launched them back in March 2014."
Five-fold really suggests there were almost no people using them before
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:32 am

Programs: BA GGL
Funnily enough, I was just looking at these this morning as I thought it could be fun to take a trip somewhere on Saturday or Sunday. I think they're fab, assuming you can find a flight leaving early and coming back late.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I did my first same day weekend return trip and flew to Madrid in the middle of January. It was a very early flight out of LHR but meant the full day in Madrid - which is always a wonderful city to spend a day in.

Felt like I saw as much as I would have in the whole weekend, just a little more condensed Great sunny Wintery day too. Keen to book another!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:37 am
Original Poster

A perfect Valentine gift...
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Is there a separate page setup to identify these day trip flight combinations?
I had a link from last year (Hello Day Trips) but that doesn't work any more, and simply deposits you on the more generic Hello Weekends page.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by patersoj
Is there a separate page setup to identify these day trip flight combinations?
I had a link from last year (Hello Day Trips) but that doesn't work any more, and simply deposits you on the more generic Hello Weekends page.
it would be useful if they reinstated the separate page for hello day trips
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
it would be useful if they reinstated the separate page for hello day trips
Agreed. No point in saying that people are using the Day trip fares, when the only way to find them is to manually type in every destination you can think of.

Off the top of my head, BCN, GLA, EDI, VIE, FCO, GVA, LIS are still working.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: BA GGL
ARN, NCE and PRG too...
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mindgraph
I did my first same day weekend return trip and flew to Madrid in the middle of January. It was a very early flight out of LHR but meant the full day in Madrid - which is always a wonderful city to spend a day in.

Felt like I saw as much as I would have in the whole weekend, just a little more condensed Great sunny Wintery day too. Keen to book another!
Maybe we went on the same day then :-) I can't remember seeing the same person on both flights but morning one was on 767 which is quite big and you can't see all passengers.

Originally Posted by shefgab
Agreed. No point in saying that people are using the Day trip fares, when the only way to find them is to manually type in every destination you can think of.

Off the top of my head, BCN, GLA, EDI, VIE, FCO, GVA, LIS are still working.
I found these fares when playing with SkyScanner. I chose LHR to anywhere and that's how I learned about them, didn't see info earlier. I did one day trip to Madrid and Stockholm in January. Both were around £85 RT. Dublin is £77, Munich £99.

Good thing is, you can book them last minute and price is still the same. I booked late evening for next day.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by shefgab
No point in saying that people are using the Day trip fares, when the only way to find them is to manually type in every destination you can think of.
No, there are ways of using ITA to find these very quickly.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
Good thing is, you can book them last minute and price is still the same. I booked late evening for next day.
Good and bad thing. A rubbish day at work on the friday and hey presto, you discover you booked yourself an afternoon mooching on the Promenade des Anglais for no apparent reason

I prefer them to not be advertised. People already know about them and will take advantage of them, but not in big enough droves to challenge the opportunity for BA to rake in a last minute full weekend fare from someone wanting to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.