Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Weekend day trip fares

To be honest I'd never heard of these new fares, available at the weekend for a day trip. Has anyone used them yet?

'Customers can fly to Lisbon for just £79 return, and for £89 they can fly for the day to Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Hamburg, Milan (both Malpensa and Linate airports), Nice, Newcastle, Glasgow, Copenhagen and Brussels.

For £99 return, they can fly to Manchester, Aberdeen, Paris (both Orly and Charles de Gaulle airports) and Amsterdam.'
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Launched in March, see my write up here http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/03...me-day-return/

The key is they book into G class so are available very close to departure.

System also allows you to fly Sat and return Sun, whether this is a mistake or not is unclear!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
I snapped up one of these this on a Saturday a few weeks ago.

Went to VIE for £99 (or was it £89?) to have some coffee and lunch with my mum at a Heuriger, and it was good fun - although honestly I wouldn't want to do it to a city I've never been to, if you only have 7-8 hours it helps to know exactly what you want to do and how!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Yes, I have taken this up to fly LHR-EDI return on a Saturday to visit a friend that lives in EDI for some lunch and a tour of The Royal Yacht. Also got to fly in a 763 which was a first for me! Paid £69 for the return flights and thought that was a true bargain and very useful for a day journey. The flight still had empty seats on it so BA makes a little and offers loyal pax cheap daytrips to Europe and the North.

Also taking advantage of a BRU weekend trip with this as well so I am taking advantage of them!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Interesting, thanks. Let's hope if they prove popular they get rolled out to other cities.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
It seems BA have expanded this! Just saw the new site:
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...s/hellodaytrip

Some very good offers and expanded city options including: ABZ, AMS, BCN, BRU, CPH, DUB, EDI, GVA, GLA, HAM, LIN, LIS, MAD, MAN, MRS, MXP, MUC, NCL, NCE, CDG, ORY, FCO, ARN and VIE

So quite a sizable chunk of key British and continental cities.

They even have suggested itineraries for some cities! Well done BA!

I am all in favour for this!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Great idea, but it is kinda funny Nice is cheaper than Manchester
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by dera
Great idea, but it is kinda funny Nice is cheaper than Manchester
Yes, but of course that's only on BA
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by onobond
Yes, but of course that's only on BA
Nah, you can get by for very reasonable costs in very comfortable conditions in NCE, especially as long as you avoid July-August and a couple of easily predictable weekends! And the beach is free, the vast majority of museums are free, local transport is €1/trip if you buy a 10 trip card, etc.

The bigger problem is that BA flights to NCE on weekends tend to be chock-a-block so if this is a 'low' bucket on the pecking order and only frees late in the day, I doubt if it is ever available at all!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Nah, you can get by for very reasonable costs in very comfortable conditions in NCE, especially as long as you avoid July-August and a couple of easily predictable weekends! And the beach is free, the vast majority of museums are free, local transport is €1/trip if you buy a 10 trip card, etc.

The bigger problem is that BA flights to NCE on weekends tend to be chock-a-block so if this is a 'low' bucket on the pecking order and only frees late in the day, I doubt if it is ever available at all!
If you're really cheap, you can even reasonably walk from NCE to the city center (I've done it). If you packed a lunch it's conceivable that you could travel there without spending a single euro.
hkgg likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
If you're really cheap, you can even reasonably walk from NCE to the city center (I've done it). If you packed a lunch it's conceivable that you could travel there without spending a single euro.
When I was there, the taxi driver told me I should have got the bus for €2.

I think he meant a regular bus, not the airport one, but I think you need to get it from the main road, rather than the airport itself.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by BA0197
They even have suggested itineraries for some cities! Well done BA!
Funny that some of the itineraries go well beyond the time of the last BA departure of the day
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Speedbird876
When I was there, the taxi driver told me I should have got the bus for €2.

I think he meant a regular bus, not the airport one, but I think you need to get it from the main road, rather than the airport itself.
The regular bus is actually €1.50 if you buy a single ticket (or €1 if you buy a card for 10 trips on any bus, that one included). The "express" bus is €6.

As PeaSouper mentions, you could also hypothetically walk (along the sea) from the airport to the city centre. It takes about 30 minutes, including 10 minutes not too pleasant (where you should walk on the cycle path because the real pavement is too narrow) and then 20 minutes extremely pleasant. You can indeed pack your lunch or buy a great home made Pan Bagnat (essentially a crusty round bread filled with salade nicoise ingredients) for about €3.50, a portion of socca (a charcoal grilled chickpea and olive oil crepe) for about €2, or a portion of pissaladiere (caramelised onion tart with olives and anchovies) for about €1.40, and eat any of the above on the beach, especially on a day like today!! The compulsory Fenocchio ice cream with your choice of approximately 100 great flavours will add €2 to your lunch costs and you can sit down on a beautiful square in the Old Town with your complimentary glasses of tap water for that price!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for posting about this. I'd found the Day Tripper page before, but lost it. Even if you know it's there, it's actually very hard to find the page on ba.com. They've hidden it well.

I'm now booked to go to NCE on Sunday
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
I fancy NCE on Saturday! Anyone managed to get offered a POUG on these fares? Or is it an AUP job?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.