Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:55 am
Suspended

Finally got some time to do one of these day trips. Except when I went to have a look, the weekend of 5/6 July is totally sold out...not a single city available...

Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
I had a brief chat with one of the senior SH managers. I mentioned the success of these fares and asked if they would consider doing trips TO london in similar fashion (as requested by some on here). He said is was under consideration, so fingers crossed...^
Can you put in a good word for my Club Europe day trip suggestion? I suggested double the economy price as a fair price. Although my views may change when the legroom is enhanced I do prefer the CE product and find the waiting for POUG option a bit off putting as it's not guaranteed.

For me the benefit is something to eat onboard as I may not have time to eat in the lounge. I can imagine breakfast would be a good reason for many to upgrade as they might not have had time to eat.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
Finally got some time to do one of these day trips. Except when I went to have a look, the weekend of 5/6 July is totally sold out...not a single city available...
I would keep checking on it as, as has been mentioned already, the availability changes on these fares like with any other.

For example, last Wednesday (18th) we toyed with a day trip to Madrid to see a friend who has just become engaged. Sunday was sold out and Saturday wasn't so easy for us, so we never booked.

After reading threads above suggesting that seats can open up again nearer the day, out of curiosity I checked again last night for flights today, the previously-sold-out Sunday (22nd), and there were three outbounds and two returns showing for £45 each way (total is actually £88.20).

Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by greg5
Weekend day trips being advertised from CH. No availability that I could find though from ZRH or BSL. I didn't try looking via GVA.
Good to know, thanks.

So ZRH-LON is theoretically available, but not LON-ZRH. I haven't given up hope.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by layz
my Club Europe day trip suggestion? I suggested double the economy price as a fair price. .
Club Europe for £45 when you have only paid £45 for the ticket - I don't see it ! Bearing in mind that not everyone has lounge access and, as there would be an extra £13 APD, the £32 for BA would be less than the £38 Plaza Premium propose to charge for lounge access at T2.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Seem to recall someone mentioning that this doesn't apply to bookings with departure less than 7 days away
The confirmation email (for a flight booked 3 days before) noted that it was possible to cancel within 24 hours, by calling a reservations hot line. (I didn't find out in time so can't confirm it would have worked).
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would certainly be interested in J weekend fares.

From the regions.

I guess this is not likely before my next membership year begins!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA silver
Got back on saturday from Geneva. A very hot and clear sunny day!

Managed to grab a spot of breakfast in a packed Flounge.
Took the 08.20 flight that was delayed due to offloading someone's luggage, i slept through most of it anyhows.
Arriving at Geneva, read the advice given here and picked up a free train ticket at the end of carousel 5.
The tricky part was finding the train into the town centre but i grabbed one on platform 3 which took around 5mins.
If you are doing a bit of walking near the joncion i popped into small ice cream parlour called Glacier ArtyGlaces. They do amazing ice cream!! the zing on their sorbet is astounding!
Due to the weather i couldn't handle too much walking and called it quits around 4pm and headed back.
My sweaty boarding pass wouldn't let me into the security fast lane but traffic was surprisingly quick anyway.
Used my Priority pass to relax in the Swiss business lounge and take advantage of even more ice cream, taking one for the flight too was perfect as i looked out the window saying goodbye to Geneva.

Ticket cost £58 + 3k avios. Great day out and no hayfever attacks.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Of all the flights between MAD and LHR, they only sell day trips from BCN?!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
My guess is that they only sell day trip fares if the current demand is outstripped by the supply. No doubt all the OW flights arriving at MAD keep the MAD-LHR route busy.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Leavinglondon
Club Europe for £45 when you have only paid £45 for the ticket - I don't see it ! Bearing in mind that not everyone has lounge access and, as there would be an extra £13 APD, the £32 for BA would be less than the £38 Plaza Premium propose to charge for lounge access at T2.
BA aren't making much on these flights anyway and an extra £32 would more than cover the extra costs to BA of the extra catering (and lounge access if the passenger wouldn't qualify on status). Most people wouldn't go crazy on the booze at that time in the morning and the hot food in the club lounges is cheap and easy to provide.

Another option would be a catchy price such as £200 return.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
They are selling plenty of daytrip tickets between LHR and MAD - as per my post #288.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by paulieuk
They are selling plenty of daytrip tickets between LHR and MAD - as per my post #288.
No, they are selling plenty from LHR to MAD. I happen to be based at MAD so that's quite useless for me. As they just started to London, they are only selling from BCN in Spain.

I really don't buy that they don't have spare capacity for as many IAG flights as there are between the two.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:34 am

No, they are selling plenty from LHR to MAD. I happen to be based at MAD so that's quite useless for me. As they just started to London, they are only selling from BCN in Spain.

I really don't buy that they don't have spare capacity for as many IAG flights as there are between the two.
Ahhh, apologies offered and forgiveness requested.

And yes, in that situation I would be feeling annoyed too. Hope things improve for you.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by layz
Can you put in a good word for my Club Europe day trip suggestion? I suggested double the economy price as a fair price. Although my views may change when the legroom is enhanced I do prefer the CE product and find the waiting for POUG option a bit off putting as it's not guaranteed.

For me the benefit is something to eat onboard as I may not have time to eat in the lounge. I can imagine breakfast would be a good reason for many to upgrade as they might not have had time to eat.
I totally agree with you on the CE price, we went to Geneva in economy and they kept offering us an upgrade online for about an extra £500!! On our return journey Club had 3 pax and when I asked the CSD if we could upgrade onbourd, she said no. I think I read on here that they have an onboard pack to upgrade?
Our benefit would be the lounge/fast track as we are Bronze

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.