Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Took a last minute trip to Geneva now sitting in a cafe overlooking the fountain. Won't be on here much, didn't check the roaming rates and this isn't EU.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by layz
Took a last minute trip to Geneva now sitting in a cafe overlooking the fountain. Won't be on here much, didn't check the roaming rates and this isn't EU.
A short TR would be great if you have the time when you get back
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Go down to the lake area and swoop on to the French service..... Orange regard Switzerland as being EU for many charges and bundles.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by BoeBus
Thanks all for the tips on getting to the centre of Madrid.^ Shocker about paying for food in IB Y.... Still, we'll have a decent breakfast and top up in the FLounge before getting the BA514
That was the correct as well as cheapest way into the city. Hope you enjoy our lovely weather today. Also, the lounges in Madrid are pretty decent so stock up before the flight back.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
Excellent day in Madrid yesterday: superb weather, markets, sights, food and drink. Travel to and from the airport was very easy, although at ~45mkns each way did eat in to our sightseeing time. The IB lounge is impressive - spacious and an excellent selection of liquid libations which were thoroughly tested by me and the OH. Most grateful to LHR ATC for delaying our inbound aircraft by 45mins so that we had more time to enjoy the lounge

A tip for travelling back to the airport from the city centre: we took the airport express bus from Atocha station for €5pp - takes the same time as a taxi.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by BoeBus
Excellent day in Madrid yesterday: superb weather, markets, sights, food and drink. Travel to and from the airport was very easy, although at ~45mkns each way did eat in to our sightseeing time. The IB lounge is impressive - spacious and an excellent selection of liquid libations which were thoroughly tested by me and the OH. Most grateful to LHR ATC for delaying our inbound aircraft by 45mins so that we had more time to enjoy the lounge

A tip for travelling back to the airport from the city centre: we took the airport express bus from Atocha station for €5pp - takes the same time as a taxi.
To T4, the c1 cercanías line is even faster and only 2.50€ pp. That one does leave every half hour though. Just be sure not to confuse it with the Metro.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Following Sards' excellent mini-TR, we went to LIN yesterday. POUG both ways, imagine my delight when the outbound was substituted to an ex-BMI intl A321. Flatbed, delightfully attentive crew, fully working AVOD.

In the city centre in 20 mins on the 73 bus (tip: don't buy a single ticket for the bus, as the only places to buy tickets in Milan are on the underground - either get a return or two singles), +33 Celsius all day, great food, La Scala museum with the opportunity to watch a rehearsal from one of the boxes (amazing), and a definite decision to come back to Milan again. ^
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
we did a daytrip too though booked 2 weeks ago. I'm gonna try and get a trip report together.

Which flights did you take? We did 06:40 out and the delayed 18:45 back
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:31 pm
DSA

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador
I enjoyed a day trip to Barcelona on Saturday - taking the first flight out and the last flight back.

It was a very long day, but definitely worth it. I did plenty of sightseeing and enjoyed a POUG both ways.

I had forgotten that the T5B lounge didn't open until 0530hrs, so I only had about 20 minutes in the lounge after waiting for the lifts to start working - I should have visited the T5A lounge first which does appear to open at 0500hrs.

Curiously the return leg was on a 767, with only three passengers in Club Europe (including myself), and two cabin crew looking after us! As you might expect, the service was excellent. We arrived at a stand connected to T5B and unfortunately it was a long wait for the transit back to T5A. The transit walkway was barricaded off/staff only, so that wasn't an option. On arrival at the UK border after 2300hrs, the fast-track lane and e-gates were both closed off (the latter had a sign stating that it closed at 2300hrs). I was at the back of the queue, so this took a little while to get through, but it wasn't a ridiculous wait.

I'll be looking out for other opportunities as the year progresses, but will try and book a slightly later flight outbound so I don't have to get up quite so early and will hopefully arrive before the e-gates close.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by johnny5a
we did a daytrip too though booked 2 weeks ago. I'm gonna try and get a trip report together.

Which flights did you take? We did 06:40 out and the delayed 18:45 back
ba726 - 08:20
ba737 - 21:20
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:01 am

ba726 - 08:20
ba737 - 21:20
ahh more sociable hours :-)
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
You could go into France easily which is in the EU
(I have been to both nations)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just booked a trip to Geneva on the spur of the moment after reading this thread! For myself and hubby going on Saturday 28th June. Really excited!

Hubby thinks FlyerTalk is getting dangerous - we booked our first BA flight in WT+ for September (to Las Vegas) and I talked him into upgrading to CW after reading about it all on here. Now we're off to Geneva!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by AlisonB84
Just booked a trip to Geneva on the spur of the moment after reading this thread! For myself and hubby going on Saturday 28th June. Really excited!

Hubby thinks FlyerTalk is getting dangerous - we booked our first BA flight in WT+ for September (to Las Vegas) and I talked him into upgrading to CW after reading about it all on here. Now we're off to Geneva!
lol - hopefully I have my brief trip report by then
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Originally Posted by AlisonB84

Hubby thinks FlyerTalk is getting dangerous ...

I know exactly what he means.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.