Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Darling - thank you! We want to take out some friends in Madrid (sorry this has nothing to do with BA)

Do you mind telling me how much the taxi is too and fro Barajas? I always take the train. If you have some in from somewhere or are going on somewhere by train - the ticket is free. The Metro is ponderous as CWS says.
The journey from the airport to the city centre costs 30€.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel...axi.Fares.html

I know it wasn't cheap, but the train and metro options would've eaten up too much of our time! Taxi was quick and convenient. I even had a nap on the journey back to the airport. After all that wine and beer!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Someone's not rinsed off one of the plates as they've left all the washing up liquid bubbles all over it
Haha.

The name of the dish is "La Antoñita Soap (Tasty as Madrid)".
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Originally Posted by ringingup
Madrid was awesome. It was even more exciting because it was a complete surprise for my partner. Staying at the Sofitel T5 the night before made the whole think much more convenient.
Thanks, great report. Shows it can be done in style!

I've been thinking of doing one for months but unfortunately if I get Mrs yokozuma up for a 5am she'll be falling asleep into her tapas by 12pm and I'll be roaming Madrid on my own.

Last edited by yokozuma; Feb 25, 2016 at 2:03 am
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by yokozuma
Thanks, great report. Shows it can be done in style!

I've been thinking of doing one for months but unfortunately if I get Mrs yokozuma up for a 5am she'll be falling asleep into her tapas b 12pm and I'll be roaming Madrid on my own.
That's why you should stay at the Sofitel the night before. If you wake up at 7 AM, you'll have plenty of time to have breakfast before the flight!

You can get the Sofitel for a relatively good price as a secret hotel on Lastminute.com.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
No offence to some people, but some of these day trips must be costing as much as a long weekend in NYC etc. what with up to two hotels stays etc. My recent flight to Hong Kong (in Y) possibly cost less.....

I would love to do a few of these but it takes me longer to get to LHR than to get to say Madrid and back!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
No offence to some people, but some of these day trips must be costing as much as a long weekend in NYC etc. what with up to two hotels stays etc. My recent flight to Hong Kong (in Y) possibly cost less.....

I would love to do a few of these but it takes me longer to get to LHR than to get to say Madrid and back!
Split between two people the cost can't be that bad. I'm lucky that I live in Zone 2 so BA is a realistic option for these day trips.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by ENTP
Split between two people the cost can't be that bad. I'm lucky that I live in Zone 2 so BA is a realistic option for these day trips.
Also, you have to consider that people may not have enough annual leave (because of other trips&holidays for example ).

In my case, it was just the opportunity to organise and extravagant and unusual surprise. There are people that spend the same amount of money, or even more, on a night out!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Everyone bangs on about Barcelona - and I admit that it is a lovely place - but I find Madrid very much more Spanish and I love it. It has a buzz that get me every time that I visit. What you must remember is that it is really chilly in winter and blazing hot in summer.
One of the things I've learnt from this frequent flyer lark is that actually there are some truly astonishing middle sized cities out there just waiting to be discovered. I was amazed at Bologna (which I just knew as a railway junction that had a dreadful terrorist incident) - a lovely city. The cinema museum in Turin, amazing. In the case of Spain, there are about 20 fantastic cities out there: Vigo, Bilboa, Santiago de Compostela, La Coruña, León, and with the expansion of BA, IB and VY's services I'm looking forward to seeing more of them. There is so much to Spain than Barcelona, and certainly way more than Málaga!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club

Very true, but for us Londoners they're great. I can get on the tube on a Saturday/Sunday morning and have a great day out for the price of a ticket to a central London sports match/theatre/opera performance etc.
Add in the fact I'll have a slap up breakfast with Champagne, and then some nibbles and G&Ts on the way back, it becomes great value ^
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Exactly!
Not quite as exciting for non-status holders, but a treat nonetheless
And I'll usually earn £15 worth of Avios back too
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
So what's Munich like as a city for a day trip. I've never been and If I book the day trip, I'll be travelling solo.

Week a Sunday the 17th £98 return, arrive Munich 9.45am and return back to Heathrow at 9pm, currently £98.

Going to hold of booking till closer to the day but if fares are still available in seriously mulling over a day in Munich.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:31 am

I did a day trip to Munich on a Sunday in early December, first time I'd been there. It was easy in to the city by train, and the centre seems quite compact for walking. The Christmas markets were in full flow then so there was plenty to do just wandering about, but I also made a little list of permanent things to try and see. Stopped at one of the brewery bierkellers for a late lunch (well, a bucket of bier and a leg of meat), and ran out of time to do everything on my list before heading back to the airport. I had a good time, go for it!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
These day trips work well in other direction too. Later this month a group of FTers (and other friends) will for the third time already fly from HEL to LHR for a day for 118eur each.

We arrive in LHR at 9am and leave again at 6.40pm. With this timing we have ~6hrs in London, enough time for a steak lunch and a few pubs, and in addition we get to enjoy lounges both at HEL and LHR. Always been good trips and we plan to continue this tradition.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Munich is a wonderful city to spend a few hours – even if you concentrate on the very centre and just enjoy the cafes, shops, beerhalls and parks.

The airport is relatively far out (about 45 mins by train) but looks like you have flights that will give you plenty of time. S-bahn trains leave every 10 mins so there won't be much waiting around.

Starting at Marienplatz is probably a decent bet if you are unfamiliar with the city. From there, you have a ton of stuff to do within a very small radius.

Most people will check out the Hofbräuhaus at some point – and why not? – but if you've had enough oompah to last you a lifetime, there are plenty of other options. Der Pschorr, right at the Viktualienmarkt, is super easy to find and is usually a lot calmer.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Probably in here somewhere, but what's the best way into Barcelona from the airport (and back)? Popping over next weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.