Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by thebigben
Alright the odd thing is that I can see the fare that cws posted above on BA's site, but not on ITA, searching for the same dates, origin and destination. Is there any reason for that? I might just go for an expertflyer subscription soon, but I'd also like to understand what ITA does or doesn't do.
That is odd: it looks like ITA is not seeing the G class inventory. In each case, the ITA price is based on the lowest available booking class other than G for which there is a valid fare (K out, M back). EF reports the availability for the two flights being:-
BA832 J9 C7 D3 R9 I0 Y9 B9 H6 K3 M0 L0 V0 N0 Q0 O0 S0 G4
BA823 J9 C7 D4 R9 I0 Y9 B6 H6 K6 M3 L0 V0 N0 Q9 O0 S6 G9 (NB: I can't see any valid S class fares, so this may be why S class isn't being used by ITA either.)

It isn't a problem with EF using the G class day trip fares, because if you switch off the availability checker then the G class day fares are returned. That's how I got that sample list in my previous post.

It is things like this that make EF worthwhile for me. A combination of all of the available searching tools gives more confidence in the research results.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
It's the Easter holidays this weekend so availability may well be scarce.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That is odd: it looks like ITA is not seeing the G class inventory. In each case, the ITA price is based on the lowest available booking class other than G for which there is a valid fare (K out, M back). EF reports the availability for the two flights being:-
BA832 J9 C7 D3 R9 I0 Y9 B9 H6 K3 M0 L0 V0 N0 Q0 O0 S0 G4
BA823 J9 C7 D4 R9 I0 Y9 B6 H6 K6 M3 L0 V0 N0 Q9 O0 S6 G9 (NB: I can't see any valid S class fares, so this may be why S class isn't being used by ITA either.)

It isn't a problem with EF using the G class day trip fares, because if you switch off the availability checker then the G class day fares are returned. That's how I got that sample list in my previous post.

It is things like this that make EF worthwhile for me. A combination of all of the available searching tools gives more confidence in the research results.
Isn't G class normally for group bookings? If so, presume ITA's will be blind to that class... at least when searching for 1 or 2 guests...
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sealink
Isn't G class normally for group bookings? If so, presume ITA's will be blind to that class... at least when searching for 1 or 2 guests...
AIUI, ITA should see the availability and a valid fare, and return it. It always used to.

Even now, if you switch off the availability checker, it will essentially assume that there is availability and return the valid G class fare.

Hence my surmise that ITA's having a problem seeing G class. There's no reason why G class should be invisible to ITA, given that G class availability is accurately returned to EF and the "normal" use of G class is a matter of airline policy rather than fare and availability rules.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Perhaps of some use is the BA fare on Chippy Fryer Embraer from MAN to DUB (BA4474). Seasonal Sundays only but Y fares for GBP33 and Biz Class GBP100. 09.55 departure and in at 10.55 so plenty time for a DUB-LHR-MAN return or an EI DUB-MAN and back for tea time. I am sure this is part of a positioning programme for the Embraer to be in DUB for some flying.
The schedule suits me perfectly as I need to be in DUB before I pick up my DUB-HKG-AKL on CX.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Perhaps of some use is the BA fare on Chippy Fryer Embraer from MAN to DUB (BA4474). Seasonal Sundays only but Y fares for GBP33 and Biz Class GBP100. 09.55 departure and in at 10.55 so plenty time for a DUB-LHR-MAN return or an EI DUB-MAN and back for tea time. I am sure this is part of a positioning programme for the Embraer to be in DUB for some flying.
The schedule suits me perfectly as I need to be in DUB before I pick up my DUB-HKG-AKL on CX.
Thanks for this

a DUB-LHR-MAN day trip is coming in at just under £400- £60 less if you overnight in DUB
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Actually, it's as low as £307 in July for a Sunday day trip
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Available tomorrow for around £89 return

Hamburg
Hannover
Nice

If there are any more it'd be good to know
polochick and bisonrav like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Can see Aberdeen too.
Wanderlust888 and Bcla like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:56 pm

Can Same Day Change be used on these special day trip fares, providing I book Plus?
Old May 10, 2018, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
Can Same Day Change be used on these special day trip fares, providing I book Plus?
Yes. At first glance these same day fares are marked by being in booking class G, which isn't normally available for public purchase, so we know this is a day trip fare, and it is also a HBO fare. An example of the change conditions is as follows, and as one would expect, no SDC:
Fare conditions for your flight: Heathrow (London) to Dublin
  • Changes: Time/date changes permitted at any time before each flight departure for a change fee of £60 or an upgrade fee of £60 plus any difference in fare. All sectors may be repriced. Changes subject to availability. Fees apply per ticket
  • Refunds: There are no refunds except for any government & airport taxes
  • Service fees
    To cancel your booking: £15.00 online or £30.00 by phone
    Changes to the date/time: Free online or £30.00 by phone
The above is from a £79.60 LHR-DUB-LHR for Saturday 12 May, BA832 out, BA823 back.

If you then choose the Plus option, it's an extra £20, so £99.60 and it's still in G. The fare conditions then change to allow SDC:
Fare conditions for your flight: Heathrow (London) to Dublin
  • Changes: Time/date changes permitted at any time before each flight departure for a change fee of £60 or an upgrade fee of £60 plus any difference in fare. Free changes on the day of departure provided changes are for same date/cabin/route/airport. Changes subject to availability. Fees apply per ticket.
  • Refunds: There are no refunds except for any government & airport taxes. All sectors may be repriced for changes and/or refunds.
  • Service fees
    To cancel your booking: £15.00 online or £30.00 by phone
    Changes to the date/time: Free online or £30.00 by phone
And SDC means you can go into any flight that day, subject to availability. It also reduces any AUP cost, though perhaps not by £20.

Having said that, for a late booking this is a good fare, nevertheless the cheapest O fare for a conventional stay is £67.20 Basic, and with Plus it become £92.20. Now you have to book this fare a few weeks or even months off to get those fares. But an interesting illustration about how O can be cheaper than G.
Roger, HIDDY, volar and 1 others like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you then choose the Plus option, it's an extra £20, so £99.60 and it's still in G. The fare conditions then change to allow SDC
Thank you. Can you then SDC to a flight which makes a nonsense of the day trip fare? eg change from the first to the last flight out and throw away the return portion?
Or is that "abuse"?
Old May 14, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You won't be able to change it to a flight that overnights at destination, as the return will still need to be the same day (and not reversing the order). You could book a back to back with it, assuming MCT is respected.
Wanderlust888 likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
This thread reappearing prompted me to have a look at this for the next few weekends. Any views on the following for a day trip, probably on a Sunday?

Marseille (£79)
Hanover (£89)
Madrid (£89)
Aberdeen (£85)

​​​​​​​Marseille is a stand-out in terms of price...how easy is it to get into the city (or somewhere else nice for a wander and a spot of lunch)?
Old May 14, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by saint_em
This thread reappearing prompted me to have a look at this for the next few weekends. Any views on the following for a day trip, probably on a Sunday?

Marseille (£79)
Hanover (£89)
Madrid (£89)
Aberdeen (£85)

Marseille is a stand-out in terms of price...how easy is it to get into the city (or somewhere else nice for a wander and a spot of lunch)?

Hi,

I love Madrid ( relatively easy to get into the city by metro/train or bus) with lots to do.

Aberdeen ( taxi or bus)

Not sure about Hannover or Marseille

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.