Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Keep it Riel
MUC can work although I've never done it as its quite a hike to the city from the airport (or so I am told...)
It's just over 40 minutes from MUC airport to the centre by S-Bahn and Munich is a beautiful city to visit, I recommend it.

To add to the data points here I recently used one of these fares for a day trip to Frankfurt, £89 HBO and the timings were good to allow a full day there.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
MUC can work although I've never done it as its quite a hike to the city from the airport (or so I am told...)
I am doing that on Saturday, I have just over 8 hours between flights, so will see if I manage to get a flavour of MUC in between.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by bhbloke
I am doing that on Saturday, I have just over 8 hours between flights, so will see if I manage to get a flavour of MUC in between.
Its a wonderful city .Do visit the hofbraeuhaus and the food market. Augustiner bierkeller and try some schwienhaxe
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
So options for around £90this weekend are MAD GVA. Milan (LIN and MXP) MAN and ZRH.

Any recommendstions, I’ve been to MAD, ZRH and MAN before. Madrid gets the 767 out and 777 back. ZRH gets 767 back.

Im looking st GVA possibly but open for suggestions or if anybody else has found anything better for Sat or Sun.

Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Im looking st GVA possibly but open for suggestions or if anybody else has found anything better for Sat or Sun.

GVA is very, very pleasant to wander around if its going to be a sunny day. A massive advantage is that the airport is only 4km from the centre of town so quick and easy to get in and out. Just as you are leaving the baggage reclaim area there are ticket machines for the public transport system - they can be quite easy to miss but if you press the button it will spit out a free 90 minute pass for the network which will get you into town, or indeed further if you are so inclined.

Some of the cheapest cigars in Europe too...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
if anybody else has found anything better for Sat or Sun.
HAM is also <£90 on Saturday. ARN is £102.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
HAM is also <£90 on Saturday. ARN is £102.
I've done both HAM and GVA in the last few weeks, and both are good, but I'd say HAM edges it in terms of things to do. As noted GVA is very convenient for the airport (and you get a free ticket one way), but HAM is also only around fifteen minutes on the train and only costs 3.3 Eur.

Many many things to do in HAM, but off the top of my head, walk around the Speicherstadt, try some of the coffee (and buy a rug if you want!), take a lunch by the Elbe, and take a one or two hour boat tour. There's also the biggest model railway in Europe if that's your bag. Planten and Blomen and the old botanic garden are very extensive and looking fabulous at this time of year.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Bear in mind though that MUC trains have a lovely tradition of virtually constant track work over the summer, and next weekend is no exception with one of the 2 airport lines interrupted. The other line should still get you into town but do expect delays and tube feeling inside the carriages
bhbloke likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Au, BA Mauve
Be careful of ARN: The world's most expensive train ride (per KM)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
Originally Posted by woggledog
Be careful of ARN: The world's most expensive train ride (per KM)
Totally O/T but really? More that the HEX? Arlanda Express single is SEK 280, c.£24, whereas the most expensive HEX turn up and buy on board is £27 and the HEX is much shorter distance than the Arlanda Express which is 39km.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Zürich day trip booked for Saturday
Only 6.5h between ETA and STD, but enough time for a coffee & cake by the lake.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by sjc2679
Totally O/T but really? More that the HEX? Arlanda Express single is SEK 280, c.£24, whereas the most expensive HEX turn up and buy on board is £27 and the HEX is much shorter distance than the Arlanda Express which is 39km.
Also, if you are staying for 6 hours or less you can get a 6-hour return ticket for SEK 340.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Scusa for not reading every single post in the thread, in case it's posted already.

I wonder if there is a time frame when G fares are loaded, also if there's a difference between domestic UK and UK-EU flights? TIA!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by above the clouds
Zürich day trip booked for Saturday
Only 6.5h between ETA and STD, but enough time for a coffee & cake by the lake.
Enjoy.. I’ve done ZRH twice before and usually take the train into town and the little train up to the top of Utileberg mountain so I opted for GVA despite the 767 being on the ZRH to LHR sector.
rossmacd and squawk like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:21 am

Enjoy.. I’ve done ZRH twice before and usually take the train into town and the little train up to the top of Utileberg mountain so I opted for GVA despite the 767 being on the ZRH to LHR sector.
Zurich is great, one of my favourite cities - very picturesque, walkable, and with an excellent integrated public transport system. Uetliberg is great for the views. I would also recommend taking the Polybahn from Central up towards ETH for something a bit different, then wandering back through the old town/Limmatquai to the lake, where you could have a relaxed ice cream or beer. Then walk back along Stadthausquai, popping your head into Fraumünster, and along Bahnhoffstrasse to the main station.

Tempted to book a day trip myself now!
rossmacd, KeaneJohn and plunet like this.

Last edited by squawk; Jun 22, 2018 at 7:21 am Reason: Spelling gremlin. Pretty sure you don't want a 'bee' but rather a 'beer'…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.