Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:25 am

I ordered one on the 10th and have a single $100 and then another $1 pending.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by mia
If the transaction is still pending you have not been "charged", and it will probably only post once. The description may also change when it posts.
The transaction is shown under the "Posted Transactions, not "Pending Charges". See below

Last edited by giswqs; Jan 11, 2017 at 10:07 am
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by giswqs
The transaction is shown under the "Posted Transactions, not "Pending Charges".
You can dispute it now. Doubt that would affect reimbursement.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
WTH !?!

JAN5 AA MISC SALE/ TAX/ FEE/EX BAG 4510742 - DALLAS, TX $100.00 (Document Type: MISC. CHARGE ORDER (MCO)/PREPAID TICKET AUTH.)
JAN7 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement -$100.00
JAN9 AMERICAN AIRLINES 45107425 - 800-433-7300, TX $100.00 (Document Type: ADDITIONAL COLLECTION)
JAN9 AMERICAN AIRLINES 45107425 - 800-433-7300, TX $100.00

I am not sure if it is just me. It seems AA has made some changes. The $100 gift card posted transaction on Jan 9 shows different from the one on Jan 5. I only bought $100 on Jan 9, but I was charged twice. Still waiting for reimbursement. Will have to wait for a few days before I can dispute the duplicate changes.
Originally Posted by mia
If the transaction is still pending you have not been "charged", and it will probably only post once. The description may also change when it posts.
The transaction is shown under the "Posted Transactions, not "Pending Charges". See below

Originally Posted by mia
You can dispute it now. Doubt that would affect reimbursement.
Okay, I am in giswqs's hell, only more than two times over, since exactly the same thing has happened to me on single $100 purchases across two cards (Plat and Business Plat), and these were my first purchases on each card. The implication of this last is devastating.

The charges have posted. Two on each card. When they were pending, there was only one. And only one GC showed up with each purchase. It has not been 72 hours yet, so I can't open the cards to associate their numbers with anything on the Amex statement, e.g., which charge is "correct."

But disputing it? Let's walk through how that might go. First, to my understanding, you need to contact the merchant first. Say I contact AA and they say, "Gee, sorry about that, we'll take off the unnecessary charge." Well guess what is likely to have happened between now and then? Amex will have reimbursed me for the bogus charge. What happens then? AA pulls the charge, and Amex pulls the credit. I realize that this is not exactly the same thing, but have you ever used an Amex offer and then had it charged back? That thing -- the credit -- is gone forever.

Now it is true, I could just cross my fingers, make another $100 charge, and hope that this $200 total credit does not work like the Amex offer thing. But hope is not a plan, and if and when that fails, what do I do ... call Amex and ask for a manual credit for a ... ?

Thanks, AA ... I think you just lost me $200. I know you have created a lot of aggravation.

Under these circumstances, unless there are others with better ideas, I think I am going to start by calling AA and telling them that they owe me two $100 GCs. No chargebacks, please.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
... Amex will have reimbursed me for the bogus charge. What happens then? AA pulls the charge, and Amex pulls the credit.
Improbable. Early on AA cancelled and refunded many gift cards due to security concerns, and the American Express reimbursements were not reversed.

If you use the online dispute form one of the choices is: I have been billed more than once for this transaction, and it displays this guidance:

When to use this inquiry reason

One or more charges for the same purchase appear on your statement
They are for the same or similar amounts and to the same merchant
If possible, please select the transaction you believe is erroneous

What American Express will do on your behalf

Contact the merchant if appropriate to obtain detailed proof of the charges
Obtain itemization of the charges, signed support or other evidence relevant to the transactions if appropriate
Notify you if additional information is needed
Review the information received and then notify you of the outcome of your inquiry

Last edited by mia; Jan 11, 2017 at 8:52 am
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:58 am

Purchased $100 on January 8th
Posted on January 8th
Reimbursed on January 10th

Like a glove!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:03 am

Okay, I am in giswqs's hell, only more than two times over, since exactly the same thing has happened to me on single $100 purchases across two cards (Plat and Business Plat), and these were my first purchases on each card. The implication of this last is devastating.

The charges have posted. Two on each card. When they were pending, there was only one. And only one GC showed up with each purchase. It has not been 72 hours yet, so I can't open the cards to associate their numbers with anything on the Amex statement, e.g., which charge is "correct."

But disputing it? Let's walk through how that might go. First, to my understanding, you need to contact the merchant first. Say I contact AA and they say, "Gee, sorry about that, we'll take off the unnecessary charge." Well guess what is likely to have happened between now and then? Amex will have reimbursed me for the bogus charge. What happens then? AA pulls the charge, and Amex pulls the credit. I realize that this is not exactly the same thing, but have you ever used an Amex offer and then had it charged back? That thing -- the credit -- is gone forever.

Now it is true, I could just cross my fingers, make another $100 charge, and hope that this $200 total credit does not work like the Amex offer thing. But hope is not a plan, and if and when that fails, what do I do ... call Amex and ask for a manual credit for a ... ?

Thanks, AA ... I think you just lost me $200. I know you have created a lot of aggravation.

Under these circumstances, unless there are others with better ideas, I think I am going to start by calling AA and telling them that they owe me two $100 GCs. No chargebacks, please.
I called AA, and the rep told me that their system only shows one charge ($100), they cannot help anything with that duplicate charge. I guess I will wait for two more days to see if I can get the Amex reimbursement and then dispute the duplicate charge if AA does not issue refund.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:22 am

I called AA, and the rep told me that their system only shows one charge ($100), they cannot help anything with that duplicate charge. I guess I will wait for two more days to see if I can get the Amex reimbursement and then dispute the duplicate charge if AA does not issue refund.
Same thing happened to me. Purchased 2x100 AA egift cards on 1/9. It shows two $1 and two $100 pending. Two days later, I have 4 $100 posted to my account. I'm going to wait a few days also to see how it turns out before I dispute it. All those charges posted as "Travel - Airline".
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by mia
Improbable. Early on AA cancelled and refunded many gift cards due to security concerns, and the American Express reimbursements were not reversed.

If you use the online dispute form one of the choices is: I have been billed more than once for this transaction, and it displays this guidance:
Thanks for the info. We'll see how it plays out, but at least for today I can sleep easier. (Just wish I had a better place to sleep here at work.)

Except that: Even if Amex does not reverse the reimbursement, what exactly will I have been reimbursed for? The reimbursement will have canceled out a bogus charge for something not received. Bye, bye $100, times two (cards).

Also very useful. Suggests that my imprecations against AA were ill-founded (at least in this case), i.e., that this is a billing issue emanating from Amex. Kind of amazing that they -- the charges -- look like actual (and distinct) purchases (not duplicates).
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:01 am
mia

Even if Amex does not reverse the reimbursement, what exactly will I have been reimbursed for? The reimbursement will have canceled out a bogus charge for something not received. Bye, bye $100, times two (cards).
No, you will dispute the duplicate charge using the online facility which anticipates this common occurrence, and American Express will reimburse the other.

It's premature to say if this is an American Airlines problem or an American Express problem.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by ehuang03
Same thing happened to me. Purchased 2x100 AA egift cards on 1/9. It shows two $1 and two $100 pending. Two days later, I have 4 $100 posted to my account. I'm going to wait a few days also to see how it turns out before I dispute it. All those charges posted as "Travel - Airline".
Same thing happened with me, and also purchased on 1/9. It seems like something changed with their computers on that day. It listed as posted this morning as two $100 charges, and not as AA MISC SALE, but AMERICAN AIRLINES. The reference numbers were also different.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by geek2009
Purchased a $200 AA gift card on Jan 7th. Still no reimbursement. Looks like this hasn't changed

The gift cards can be used by anyone.
I also did this. I was a bit lazy and decided to just buy one $200 gift card on 1/3, and it wasn't reimbursed.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
No, you will dispute the duplicate charge using the online facility which anticipates this common occurrence, and American Express will reimburse the other.

It's premature to say if this is an American Airlines problem or an American Express problem.
I would not be surprised to find out something is up with AA's billing mechanism. My Barclaycard got charged for two $303 AA ticket bookings. They were legitimate charges by AA, but the problem is, I never booked AA tix. I had to submit a dispute with Barclays and AA eventually retracted the charges (the whole affair took about 3 weeks to sort out). Wondering if this is some new bug in their billing system.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:24 am

Another DP...also purchased 2x $100 gift cards for AA and was double charged for each one. Starting to think I will not get reimbursed even for the original purchases as other cards have posted within 2 days by this time of day. Has anyone that purchased on 1/9 gotten their reimbursements yet?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by mia

I take your point ...

Originally Posted by LR2013
I would not be surprised to find out something is up with AA's billing mechanism. My Barclaycard got charged for two $303 AA ticket bookings. They were legitimate charges by AA, but the problem is, I never booked AA tix. I had to submit a dispute with Barclays and AA eventually retracted the charges (the whole affair took about 3 weeks to sort out). Wondering if this is some new bug in their billing system.
... and yours as well, because ...

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Same thing happened with me, and also purchased on 1/9. It seems like something changed with their computers on that day. It listed as posted this morning as two $100 charges, and not as AA MISC SALE, but AMERICAN AIRLINES. The reference numbers were also different.
Exactly. The reference numbers are different. But, on the right-hand side of the screen, things are shown as follows:
Flight Details
Passenger Name: FRIES/BIGGIE
Date of Departure: 01/09
Ticket Number: 0xxsamenumberonbothxx0
Document Type: ADDITIONAL COLLECTION
Now I like "ADDITIONAL COLLECTION" but the other stuff is a bit creepy. Why is it showing up as a flight with a passenger?

Originally Posted by mia

Any reason to wait on the dispute? Any advantage to starting it now, before posting of reimbursement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.