Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite, EY Silver, VS Silver
I am flying AA tomorrow and I am very new to the card so I have all $200 of the airline fee credit left to use and this is my last flight on American for the year. I will be checking one bag, but I was wondering if upgrading the flight at the airport would be covered by the card at all? If not, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Boston Logan Admirals Club and would be able to let me know if it is worth it to buy access and whether or not that would be covered by the fee credit. Otherwise, some recommendations for how to use up the fee credit?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by ss1710
I am flying AA tomorrow and I am very new to the card so I have all $200 of the airline fee credit left to use and this is my last flight on American for the year. I will be checking one bag, but I was wondering if upgrading the flight at the airport would be covered by the card at all? If not, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Boston Logan Admirals Club and would be able to let me know if it is worth it to buy access and whether or not that would be covered by the fee credit. Otherwise, some recommendations for how to use up the fee credit?

priority pass will cover your Boston Logan Admirals Club lounge access. if you have the amex platinum it comes with priority pass which gains access to all airport lounges regardless if you're flying for that airline or not. as far as credits, gift cards are the best. use gift cards to purchase tickets. the ones i've tried are AA gift cards (2X $100). Delta gift cards (4X $50) and Southwest gift cards (one single $200).

bags will be covered with your $200 credit as well. but i rather pay the $25 and use that for the gift cards instead. even if you don't fly AA again you can use those gift card for partner flights on AA website.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mikecanvas
priority pass will cover your Boston Logan Admirals Club lounge access. if you have the amex platinum it comes with priority pass which gains access to all airport lounges regardless if you're flying for that airline or not. as far as credits, gift cards are the best. use gift cards to purchase tickets. the ones i've tried are AA gift cards (2X $100). Delta gift cards (4X $50) and Southwest gift cards (one single $200).

bags will be covered with your $200 credit as well. but i rather pay the $25 and use that for the gift cards instead. even if you don't fly AA again you can use those gift card for partner flights on AA website.
Oh no, no, no, no. Priority pass will not allow the holder to gain access to the Logan Admiral's Club.....nor any other Admiral's Club. Priority Pass contracts with only certain lounges for its members to use and there are no UA clubs, AA clubs, or DL clubs in the Priority Pass system of lounges.

Here are the three lounges available for PP members at Boston Logan:

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/Loun...-International
fotoflyer88 and FindAWay like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:04 am

$200 Single Gift Card

Went on AA.com and bought a single $200 gift card on 12/11. The transaction posted on 12/13 and the $200 reimbursement went through on 12/14.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
No problem with AA GC reimbursement.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by GiantCow
Has there been any discussion as to whether or not the airline selection takes effect immediately?

I selected AA on Dec 5 and purchased a gift card a few minutes later. Still no credit on the 12th (personal gold).

It didn't take that long for the credit to post for my plat.
I recently changed my airline selection. The customer service rep assured me that the change was immediate. I also logged onto my "benefits" page to confirm and it did indeed show my new selection. This is for the Platinum card, but I don't see why it would be any different for the Gold?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:15 pm

Purchase two $100 GC on 12/12. Posted 12/13. Reimbursed 12/16.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:30 pm

Used about half of my credit with UA earlier before they shut down the registry, just purchased a virtual GC with AA, hope the credit will be approved soon.

AA website says the GC won't be available for about 72 hours, I suppose that 72 hours is why it take a few days to post and get reimbursed.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by NardoSH
Used about half of my credit with UA earlier before they shut down the registry, just purchased a virtual GC with AA....
Did you contact American Express to change your selected airline?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Did you contact American Express to change your selected airline?
Yup, asked them to change it last week and it's showing AA/US Airways now
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:18 pm

Unhappy Help needed

Added two cards but check out together so I guess it means one transaction? Somehow my brain froze and thought two cards mean one transaction. Now my question is: is it possible to cancel the order with AA? I didn't find any cancellation information in AA's terms and conditions. Is calling AE to request for the credit recommended at all?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by besc
...cancel the order with AA...
No, just wait. Read THIS post.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:37 am

Another datapoint:

Signed up 12/10
Received card 12/13
Activated, signed up with AA, Bought 2 $100 cards (two totally different transactions) 12/13
Transaction posted 12/15
Reimbursed for both cards 12/18

Yay!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:14 am

Will I still get reimbursement if I cancel my Plat Card after making the GC purchase?

for example ... order GCs on Jan 1, cancel Card on Jan 5 — will the reimbursement still kick in after cancellation?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by GiantCow
Has there been any discussion as to whether or not the airline selection takes effect immediately?

I selected AA on Dec 5 and purchased a gift card a few minutes later. Still no credit on the 12th (personal gold).

It didn't take that long for the credit to post for my plat.
Just to update on this, when the 15th came around and the credit still didn't post, I bought another $100 gift card. Second GC posted on the 17th and credit appeared on the 19th.

I believe the two day lag time is more in line with other peoples' experiences so it may be best to give it a day or two after selecting the airline before buying GCs. My benefits page did show AA as my chosen airline immediately after my selection but perhaps it takes a bit for whatever system flags transactions to update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.