Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:24 pm

Purchased 2 $50 gift cards and 1 $100 gift card today. Still pending, hopefully this will work out.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:24 pm

Changed from UA to AA on Jan 1, purchased 1x$100 a few mins after getting the change confirmation email from Amex. Reimbursed Jan 3.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: JAL Global Club; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite; World of Hyatt Globalist
1/2 Early morning, bought 2 $100 AA e-gift cards
1/5 Morning, $200 credit received.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, SPG Plat, MAR Plat
1/2 Purchased 1 $50 AA GC
1/4 Reimbursed
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Wait.

Seriously. Weird stuff happens. Last year this time there was some strange screw-up in the system that ended out working out fine. You can always call later if need be.
Yeah, I recall last year's weirdness. Fortunately, my wife's card is new, so it's not like I need to cancel it this month. It's obviously disconcerting though that January reimbursements are being processed, but this Dec. 26th one looks lost. I would think that if the credit is not posted in the next 10 days, I should do something. What's the best way to nudge AMEX on this stuff?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, I recall last year's weirdness. Fortunately, my wife's card is new, so it's not like I need to cancel it this month. It's obviously disconcerting though that January reimbursements are being processed, but this Dec. 26th one looks lost. I would think that if the credit is not posted in the next 10 days, I should do something. What's the best way to nudge AMEX on this stuff?
Use the GC and buy another one.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:17 am

Amex PRG:
Purchased $100 AA GC on Jan 2nd. Got the statement credit $100 Jan 4. SUCCESS!! Good luck to everyone!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Free Agent
... this Dec. 26th one looks lost. I would think that if the credit is not posted in the next 10 days, I should do something. What's the best way to nudge AMEX on this stuff?
Just wait & hope it comes through. As you probably know from the wiki and the many times such questions have been asked, these GCs are excluded per the T&C. So there's no way to "nudge" Amex on them. And please don't attempt to do so, whether by call or email or other. It has no chance of doing anything good for you, but a very good chance of causing them to take a new interest in this space. Their clawback team and once in a lifetime terms are quite bad enough, right?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Five $100 GCs Jan 2nd
Credits Jan 4th
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:19 am

AmEx Platinum

Bought AA Gift Card $100, 1/2/18
AmEx Fee Reimbursements $100, posted 1/4/18
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:48 pm

1/2 Early morning, bought 1 $100 AA e-gift card
1/4 $100 credit received.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jigri2003
Just wait & hope it comes through. As you probably know from the wiki and the many times such questions have been asked, these GCs are excluded per the T&C. So there's no way to "nudge" Amex on them. And please don't attempt to do so, whether by call or email or other. It has no chance of doing anything good for you, but a very good chance of causing them to take a new interest in this space. Their clawback team and once in a lifetime terms are quite bad enough, right?
I'm sorry, but while your self-interest might prefer I take that approach, it doesn't sound like very good advice to someone's who's out $100. I will certainly try something to recoup the $100 loss if the credit doesn't show up this month.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I'm sorry, but while your self-interest might prefer I take that approach, it doesn't sound like very good advice to someone's who's out $100. I will certainly try something to recoup the $100 loss if the credit doesn't show up this month.
That's what the person did with AS last June or so, ending the reimbursements with them.
S/he called and said everyone else is getting the reimbursement.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA, AA , DL, RITZ
out $100

Why out $100- don't you have a gc to use as cash on next AA flight ?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
1) How are you out $100? If you want AA gift cards that sort of implies you are planning to buy an AA ticket, so it's not clear you have any "loss."

2) Furthermore, what exactly are you going to "try" since technically speaking gift cards are clearly verboten as explicitly documented in the T&Cs?

I think when something is expressly disallowed in documented T&Cs you sort roll the dice and take your chances.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.