Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gold644
It really seems like the best value for an AA Gold member is to buy upgrade stickers. Any disagreements to this?? The mileage multiplier doesn't seem like a great value
It depends on how many stickers you already have, and how often you're interested in upgrading, and (if you've tried) how often you actually get upgrades as Gold.

Me, as Platinum, I even get upgrades rarely enough (I live in an AA hub, and often have to connect through another AA hub, and those flights are too elite-heavy much of the time for anything to be left over for Platinums with low AA spend, let alone Gold), and therefore I try rarely enough, that the upgrades I earn for free keep piling up faster than I can use them. So for me, buying even more stickers would feel pointless.

I'm sure for some Golds it might have value, but not necessarily for every Gold.

If I were Gold instead of LT Platinum, I might find more value in buying up to MCE at booking time. But again, everyone's different, some people who are Gold might not care about MCE as much as I do as a 6-foot tall person.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I am Oneworld Sapphire, so I think I can select MCE seats for free anyway. :/
I was trying but I guess I failed...don't know what to tell you then.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Maybe I can sell my credit on eBay, lol.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Maybe I can sell my credit on eBay, lol.
If you're in a city with no Flagship Lounge, the credit will be good for food at a typical AC. Might be able to use it for buying up to PEY from regular Y. Change fees are covered if you need it. You could also use it to cover family members that may fly on AA for the incidentals, but you are correct, it is a tough road if you are an elite, for use of the incidental credit on AA.

Safe Travels
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
I was slow to the punch and didn't buy my AA GCs in Jan of this year like I did every other January. Then in Feb the GC loophole went away. I burned my $250 Aspire credit on AA Mileage Multiplier and switched my Platinum to WN and used the sub-$100 loophole for a few flights. Not the best value for the credit with AA, but I get MCE for free, already have Admirals club access, and saw no need to burn it on lounge food or whatever.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:38 am

points transfer fee

will the American Air share miles fee from 1 account to another account covered by this $100 airline credit? say I want to transfer 20,000 points from 1 account ($150) to another account.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:06 am
v4r

Programs: AA Gold
Long time listener, first time caller!
  • Purchased MCE from main cabin on 10/7 on the return portion of a RT.
  • Changed from pending charge on Amex on 10/8
  • Meter moved 10/10
chrisny2, mia and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by v4r
Long time listener, first time caller!
  • Purchased MCE from main cabin on 10/7 on the return portion of a RT.
  • Changed from pending charge on Amex on 10/8
  • Meter moved 10/10
Hope this is the case with me. Purchased MCE from main cabin and charge cleared but meter has not moved yet. Hopefully will clear this weekend.

UPDATE: meter finally moved for me. Roughly the same timeline as above. Three days after purchase.
v4r likes this.

Last edited by Red259; Oct 12, 2019 at 8:30 pm
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Below is a snapshot of poster recently GC purchase on Sept 22 and confirming GC's on AA get reimbursed (Oct 2) with AMEX airline credit still.
Guess picking AA allows GC reimbursement.

Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by euromannn
Below is a snapshot of poster recently GC purchase on Sept 22 and confirming GC's on AA get reimbursed (Oct 2) with AMEX airline credit still.
Thank you. One example is encouraging, but not conclusive. AA gift cards have not been reliably reimbursed since February, because AA began to explicitly code the purchases as Gift Cards. We would need to see the full details of the transaction (from the desktop website) to see if this the coding has changed, and then we would need volunteers to see if reimbursement can be replicated.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by mia
Thank you. One example is encouraging, but not conclusive. AA gift cards have not been reliably reimbursed since February, because AA began to explicitly code the purchases as Gift Cards. We would need to see the full details of the transaction (from the desktop website) to see if this the coding has changed, and then we would need volunteers to see if reimbursement can be replicated.
I am up for volunteering with a little more color. Have some AA flights coming up that need to purchase, so I won't be out anything if this does not work other than a little time spent.

Safe Travels
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
A question. In order for my Plat airline credit to apply to AA, I have to pay for fees separately from the ticket?

So I buy a ticket on AA. Get it ticketed. Then can I go back into my reservation, add on baggage and MCE and pay for that with my Plat card?

Just asking because this is the first time I'm going to have to use my credit this way...
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by abraxis
A question. In order for my Plat airline credit to apply to AA, I have to pay for fees separately from the ticket?

So I buy a ticket on AA. Get it ticketed. Then can I go back into my reservation, add on baggage and MCE and pay for that with my Plat card?

Just asking because this is the first time I'm going to have to use my credit this way...
That's the way I did it. I bought my ticket (actually I used giftcards) and then I went back into the reservation after ticketed and paid for MCE seat selection as a separate charge.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Red259
That's the way I did it. I bought my ticket (actually I used giftcards) and then I went back into the reservation after ticketed and paid for MCE seat selection as a separate charge.
Bingo! Thanks. I'm going to do that.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Re separate charges... I understand the credit applies to change fees on AA. But sometimes, when I make changes there are airline fare increases too (and they seem to be lumped together into one charge). Would the $250 credit still apply in this scenario? Or will it solely apply when it sees a sole $200 change fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.