Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
CAUTION: Buyer Beware! DOES NOT WORK TO GET EXP This way
A caution to anyone who may try this suggestion to earn LPs buying FTD bonsai trees and hoping they get credit as a large multiplier of LP's from FTD. The Original Poster (and others) posted back that it posts as bonus miles and not base, so no LPs are earned.

some data points:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34174381-post70.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34048144-post308.html
Here's the thread on FTD:

Missing miles/LPs from FTD purchase in mid-Feb

Print Wikipost

127 bonsai trees for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eyenigma
So you can literally get EXP w/o even flying a mile? That makes zero sense.
As a customer, it makes no sense. For AA, as pure revenue with no cost, you're the perfect customer, despite what BlooJoo wishes to believe.
DaveH, mrow and LovePrunes like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
Who cares if a bunch of people who don't fly make EXP?
Ta Da!

It's like complaining about a gym membership because they gym has too many members signed up. If none of them show up and the gym is empty, you're benefiting.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Antarius
Ta Da!

It's like complaining about a gym membership because they gym has too many members signed up. If none of them show up and the gym is empty, you're benefiting.
I think that is what people are not getting. The greatest cost liability to AA is the AAdvantage miles in members' account. Not members having elite status. And people will still be earning the same amount of FF miles with AA's partners as before. Moreover, if there are now going to be elites who are earning that status mainly because of partner spend, and not really by flying on AA, then that elite is even less of a liability cost to AA than the one who is. It costs AA nothing for people to spend money with AA's partners. But AA does make money when those partners buy AAdvantage miles to, in turn, hand out for those purchases.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:59 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Eyenigma
So you can literally get EXP w/o even flying a mile? That makes zero sense.
EXP status, but none of the ancillary benefits (SWU's, etc.).
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
It was very good -- with mustard.

(Apologies to W.C. Fields.)
I eat mine with fava beans
Old Jan 6, 2022, 5:27 am

Wouldn’t it make more sense for AA to just charge $5000 for EXP and require that you use AA credit card ? Sure , they make money from selling miles to partners but they don’t get the entire purchase amount . If they charged directly they get the full $5000 and the revenue from the miles sold to the credit card issuer .

I know that US Airways for a couple of years let you purchase status all the way up to Chairman’s Preferred.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Wouldn’t it make more sense for AA to just charge $5000 for EXP and require that you use AA credit card ? Sure , they make money from selling miles to partners but they don’t get the entire purchase amount . If they charged directly they get the full $5000 and the revenue from the miles sold to the credit card issuer .

I know that US Airways for a couple of years let you purchase status all the way up to Chairman’s Preferred.
They want to keep up appearances, that this is about flying...
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mister Nice

Doing that would damage the revenue stream from “selling points” to partners.

Plus the people who are willing to spend $5k for status are probably also the type of people who aren’t going to be particularly profitable
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw

Plus the people who are willing to spend $5k for status are probably also the type of people who aren’t going to be particularly profitable
I understand your point but disagree with second part based on personal experience . I took advantage of the US Airways buy Chairman’s Preferred (CP) opportunity . I wanted the access to what was then great CP phone reservations and benefits . I flew many paid F and International J flights on US that would have gone elsewhere , got a credit card , and bought a club membership etc . So , some status buys are definitely worth it for the airline. If folks buy status direct from the airline and don’t use it , then they are very profitable - no costs involved . If folks buy status and use it only for basic economy , well then they may not be profitable but are adding revenue .
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by coleslaw

Yep, I would bet that someone that was willing to buy status would milk every penny they could out of it (so, basically FTers).
The opposite is Jim Bob that has the AA credit card because he's "going to take a big trip someday" - and may or may not ever actually do it which means no cost to AA.
donotblink likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Yep, I would bet that someone that was willing to buy status would milk every penny they could out of it (so, basically FTers).
The opposite is Jim Bob that has the AA credit card because he's "going to take a big trip someday" - and may or may not ever actually do it which means no cost to AA.
And AA does have status challenges which are a halfway measure to buying status.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
As a customer, it makes no sense. For AA, as pure revenue with no cost, you're the perfect customer, despite what BlooJoo wishes to believe.
Indeed. Soon we will see CKs who never fly. How AA will make the CKs feel special is beyond me. I think I will just go for BA Gold Guest List instead as at lease I know what I am aiming for with that!
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by mrow
Indeed. Soon we will see CKs who never fly. How AA will make the CKs feel special is beyond me. I think I will just go for BA Gold Guest List instead as at lease I know what I am aiming for with that!
I would agree. I have a close friend that travels on a plane maybe once per year, and that's usually he and his spouse tagging along on one of my trips. Despite me explaining that getting the AA Citi Executive card may not be the best choice for him, he did anyway. Last year he charged a little over $125K on the card, and in 2022 he may be closer to $150K-$175K. He owns a construction company and a painting company and just puts all materials on that card and immediately pays it off. So technically, when we fly together after this year, he would probably have higher status than me (I'm not sure I can requalify for EP under the new requirements) and be higher in line for the upgrade, despite me flying over 120 segments (mainly domestic) for the past 10 years.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by lrbenko
Just purchased on Bonsai from FTD today as well, having just re-watched Karate Kid 3 two nights ago. will report back on the condition and LP situation.
Just got my FTD Bonsai. here's a pic as promised. Certainly not as pictured, but I'm happy with it.
Beckles, la2clt, chrisny2 and 10 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mrow
Well, in some respects a CK who doesn't fly is the best kind of CK. Both for AA (since they need to do very little for make them feel special beyond giving them a nice title, a shiny virtual card and some extra customer service support should they ever actually choose to fly AA) and for AA flyers/elites (less competition for upgrades and the non-flying CK is effectively "subsidizing" the travel experience). I think those non-flying CKs will be very few and far between.
DaveH, Mister Nice, mrow and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.