Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
CAUTION: Buyer Beware! DOES NOT WORK TO GET EXP This way
A caution to anyone who may try this suggestion to earn LPs buying FTD bonsai trees and hoping they get credit as a large multiplier of LP's from FTD. The Original Poster (and others) posted back that it posts as bonus miles and not base, so no LPs are earned.

some data points:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34174381-post70.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34048144-post308.html
Here's the thread on FTD:

Missing miles/LPs from FTD purchase in mid-Feb

Print Wikipost

127 bonsai trees for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by United16

My FTD points just posted. Showing as bonus, not base points. Too bad AA won’t let us see what’s counting towards LP
same here unfortunately. My Jan 5 FTD purchase during a 25x promotion period posted overnight as all bonus miles. My eshopping purchases including one that also posted overnight continue to post as all base miles.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Interestingly, AA has already specifically mentioned FTD as a Loyalty Points-qualifying partner (https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints) so one would have to assume that at least some amount of FTD spend will qualify as base miles (even if it only ends up being 1x base). Otherwise, why specifically mention FTD as eligible partner?

So happy this new program is so much simpler than EQM/EQD/EQS!

-FlyerBeek
Beckles, scoonee and jhalapin like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Can't say I'm really surprised. I imagine this might ruin a few people's mornings. Of course, we won't know the real answer until sometime in March.

-FlyerBeek
I had my suspicions about FTD for some reason so I decided to give it a pass. Made the right move for once!
Old Feb 1, 2022, 1:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by ZonaFlyer
Could at-home Covid tests be a free shortcut?

If your health insurance has to reimburse you for 8 tests per month per person on the plan, a family of 4 could get 13k LP's for "free". I saw a shelf full of Binax tests at my local Walgreens; a 2 pack is $23 and Walgreens is 2 miles/$ through eShopping. Walgreens website did say the store was out of stock but the tests could be shipped.

4 2-packs is $92 or 276 LP's per person per month if you pay with an AAdvantage card through eShopping. If this is valid all year, that's 3312 per person or 13248 LP's for 4 people.

Now you'll just need to find a fax machine to submit the forms.
Ordered 4 2-packs today. Submitted my reimbursement online - my insurer is using Caremark for online submission of those reimbursement requests, so it was pretty easy. Not a ton of loyalty points, but better than nothing for no out-of-pocket cost.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
Ordered 4 2-packs today. Submitted my reimbursement online - my insurer is using Caremark for online submission of those reimbursement requests, so it was pretty easy. Not a ton of loyalty points, but better than nothing for no out-of-pocket cost.
Let us know if/when these miles post. I'm a bit skeptical after reading the eShopping T&C for Walgreens they're super restrictive, who knows how they'll classify the product.

Mileage terms

Please note these terms & conditions: Not eligible on purchases made through sub-domains such as aarp.walgreens.com, AARP discounts, pharmacy purchases, Prescription Savings Club, prescription drugs, electronics, diet & fitness items, or food & beverage items and household products including but not limited to office/school/art supplies, greeting cards, paper goods, pet needs, lawn & garden, tools & hardware, kitchen goods, household cleaning, seasonal décor, apparel and luggage. Any return, exchange or other adjustment made at a physical store location for an on-line purchase may result in your purchase being deemed ineligible. Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Purchases made with a gift card may be ineligible.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by chrisny2
To anyone outside the US, this sounds completely bonkers....
vasantn, chrisny2 and merlin90 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by largeeyes
To anyone outside the US, this sounds completely bonkers....
I think it sounds pretty bonkers to people inside the US too.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, SQ, UA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by daron4000
same here unfortunately. My Jan 5 FTD purchase during a 25x promotion period posted overnight as all bonus miles. My eshopping purchases including one that also posted overnight continue to post as all base miles.
I think what's bizarre is if you click on the AA Shopping Portal for FTD, it says 20 points per dollar, the page automatically shows this (maybe from the AA Shopping Extension?) at 25 points/dollar automatically

We may not know one way or another if this earns LP until March 1, but if it's listing the earned points just as bonus points that don't earn LP, that's really deceptive marketing that is only generating from the AA Shopping Portal, which is one of the fundamental and advertised tools to earn LP.

Patience may be in order until March 1, but eyebrow is a little raised at the moment.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by WhereAmIHeading
I think what's bizarre is if you click on the AA Shopping Portal for FTD, it says 20 points per dollar, the page automatically shows this (maybe from the AA Shopping Extension?) at 25 points/dollar automatically

We may not know one way or another if this earns LP until March 1, but if it's listing the earned points just as bonus points that don't earn LP, that's really deceptive marketing that is only generating from the AA Shopping Portal, which is one of the fundamental and advertised tools to earn LP.

Patience may be in order until March 1, but eyebrow is a little raised at the moment.
I think, until all the dust settles, what might seem "deceptive" marketing is in fact "incompetent" marketing.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:33 pm

Looked into the intriguing miles/loyalty points via free covid tests route. Unfortunately, my insurance company requires me to purchase tests at the pharmacy counter and submit a pharmacy receipt (not a register receipt) for reimbursement, so I can't go through the portal.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by go_hokies
Looked into the intriguing miles/loyalty points via free covid tests route. Unfortunately, my insurance company requires me to purchase tests at the pharmacy counter and submit a pharmacy receipt (not a register receipt) for reimbursement, so I can't go through the portal.
Could you do buy online and pickup in store and maybe get what you need? It's a thought.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
For those of you who use gift cards, I buy mine at raise.com and these are listed at the AA shopping portal, and it earns 1 mile/$. I run most of my shopping via digital gift cards from raise.com (Uber, Instacart, Grubhub, Netflix), and I buy only when they are discounted (usually 1-7%), and I only buy when Raise offers extra discounts across the board for all cards (usually 3-10% extra, offered 1-2 times a month, usually; today is 4%). So I save between 5-15% from the gift cards, plus earning 1 AA mile/$ plus whatever rewards I earn from the credit card used to buy the gift cards.
chrisny2 likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Feb 4, 2022 at 3:20 pm
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by nk15
For those of you who use gift cards, I buy mine at raise.com and these are listed at the AA shopping portal, and it earns 1 mile/$. I run most of my shopping via digital gift cards from raise.com (Uber, Instacart, Grubhub, Netflix), and I buy only when they are discounted (usually 1-7%), and I only buy when Raise offers extra discounts across the board for all cards (usually 3-10% extra, offered 1-2 times a month, usually; today is 4%). So I save between 5-15% from the gift cards, plus earning 1 AA mile/$ plus whatever rewards I earn from the credit card used to buy the gift cards.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm sure I've missed out on those storewide extra percentages in the past!
Old Feb 4, 2022, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Could you do buy online and pickup in store and maybe get what you need? It's a thought.
Appreciate the suggestion but they don't reliably have kits in stock locally for pick-up, but do have availability for shipping. Mostly wanted to give folks a heads up that their insurance might be a pain about reimbursements.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
I signed up for motley fool through the portal for 99 dollar subscription and it posted today as 7,400 base miles. Hopefully those count as loyalty points - guess we will see in March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.