Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
CAUTION: Buyer Beware! DOES NOT WORK TO GET EXP This way
A caution to anyone who may try this suggestion to earn LPs buying FTD bonsai trees and hoping they get credit as a large multiplier of LP's from FTD. The Original Poster (and others) posted back that it posts as bonus miles and not base, so no LPs are earned.

some data points:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34174381-post70.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34048144-post308.html
Here's the thread on FTD:

Missing miles/LPs from FTD purchase in mid-Feb

Print Wikipost

127 bonsai trees for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by roadtriper
None of us will ever be "Pudding Guy" BUT... you could be "Bonsai Guy" find a local non FTD florist and find out what they'll give you for 120 Bonsai trees. RT
OMG so spend 8 grand on Bonsai trees, resell them for say, 4 grand, and then you've basically bought EXP for 4 grand. Nice!
N1120A, mrow, MAYNARDS99 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:14 pm

Or buy $8,000 of bonsai trees to surround yourself with tranquility to offset the chaos American Airlines causes upon you as a passenger.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:18 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
So is the current consensus that we are probably getting 25LPs per dollar? If so this actually seems quite reasonable. Ex: For AA Gold you would need to buy 19. At $63/per that comes out to $1,197 for 30,000 LPs, but you also get 30,000 AA miles. I value that at ~$600-800 in purely miles. Thus the cost is only ~$400 for AA Gold and 19 bonsai trees which I could try to flip at $30 each and actually make a profit. Of course this should scale up to EXP.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:19 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
OMG so spend 8 grand on Bonsai trees, resell them for say, 4 grand, and then you've basically bought EXP for 4 grand. Nice!
Actually, I am considering something like that...

I bought my iPhone 11 when the eShopping portal had 8x miles on Apple Store purchases. I'm probably going to buy a new computer at some point (because I need one), but since Apple products still in the box should hold their value pretty well, I might buy a few extras and sell them.
eltoddo22 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Bwhahahaha ... this post is epic and highlights everything wrong with AA's new loyalty program
N1120A, mrow and Flying Yazata like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Very creative OP.
i understand that LP will only appear on AA from March.
how will you know that you have earned 1525 LPs for sure?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zip10001
Very creative OP.
i understand that LP will only appear on AA from March.
how will you know that you have earned 1525 LPs for sure?
As others have indicated in the thread, technically I won't know definitively whether I've earned the LPs, I guess until March. Only bought one, just in case. However were AA not to award the LP, it'd seem to contravene and/or renege upon their 1 aadvantage mile = 1LP metric. Inasmuch as ftd prominently appears throughout their website as a partner, at this point I'm not worried about LP earnings.
N1120A likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You can just re-sell the tree, perhaps at a profit or just offer to wholesale them to local florists to offset some of the cost.
N1120A and asovse1 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:55 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eltoddo22
Bwhahahaha ... this post is epic and highlights everything wrong with AA's new loyalty program
One person's wrong is another person's right.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by davecraze
Interesting that the AA shopping portal only references FTD at 20 per $, but the FTD site computes 25 per $.
There was a time last week (around Christmas) when FTD was advertising that they were giving 25 AAdvantage miles per dolllar spent, not the usual 20. Which I'm wondering if those extra 5 miles are considered a bonus, and thus, won't earn LPs.

And people shouldn't be surprised that there are going to be less expensive ways (via partners) to earn status than the traditional way of buying AA tickets. Because that's how it was prior to January 1st. And in my case, it was because of Alaska F and BA W tickets. Even with this new program, I can cross the 200K LPs threshold with 7 RTs between the west coast and Europe in PremEcon on BA alone. And prior to Covid, I could regularly find these tickets for around $1000-1100 RT. Granted, these were generally ex-EU originating. But the ex-US ones were usually a couple of hundred dollars more for the same city pairs. That's a lot less than the roughly $18,000 in AA tickets (actually more since that is only the base fare component) needed to achieve the same goal.

So, would I rather have 7 trips to Europe, or 127 Bonsai trees? Hmmmm.... let me think...
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Fanjet
There was a time last week (around Christmas) when FTD was advertising that they were giving 25 AAdvantage miles per dolllar spent, not the usual 20. Which I'm wondering if those extra 5 miles are considered a bonus, and thus, won't earn LPs.

And people shouldn't be surprised that there are going to be less expensive ways (via partners) to earn status than the traditional way of buying AA tickets. Because that's how it was prior to January 1st. And in my case, it was because of Alaska F and BA W tickets. Even with this new program, I can cross the 200K LPs threshold with 7 RTs between the west coast and Europe in PremEcon on BA alone. And prior to Covid, I could regularly find these tickets for around $1000-1100 RT. Granted, these were generally ex-EU originating. But the ex-US ones were usually a couple of hundred dollars more for the same city pairs. That's a lot less than the roughly $18,000 in AA tickets (actually more since that is only the base fare component) needed to achieve the same goal.

So, would I rather have 7 trips to Europe, or 127 Bonsai trees? Hmmmm.... let me think...
Totally with you on the partners; a good reason why I made EXP this past year was because of inexpensive (relatively speaking) I fares (first class) on Alaska. The long round trips with 30% of the mileage as EQDs definitely added up and in many ways doubled or tripled your EQDs from the actual dollars spent. I will continue to fly as my main metric for LP and will rely on partners. Nevertheless, I couldn't help but post this because of the humorous abject absurdity of it all.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
Totally with you on the partners; a good reason why I made EXP this past year was because of inexpensive (relatively speaking) I fares (first class) on Alaska. The long round trips with 30% of the mileage as EQDs definitely added up and in many ways doubled or tripled your EQDs from the actual dollars spent. I will continue to fly as my main metric for LP and will rely on partners. Nevertheless, I couldn't help but post this because of the humorous abject absurdity of it all.
- Thank you for posting this! This bonsai tree thread clearly exemplifies the absurd nature of the "new" AA program , where AA now stands for Abject Absurdity. While my 25-yearold bonsai tree just died, I am not in a rush to order another one. The past year I re-qualified for AA EXP by flying about 50% Business/First domestically, two trips from East Coast to Hawaii in Premium Economy, and Qatar business from US to Zanzibar. With 2 more domestic trips in Y next month I will get to 120K EQM and chose another reward. I also dumped AA credit cards several years ago. However, as a lifetime AA PLT, why should I be loyal to the AA bonsai tree company?
ghsbass0406 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Assuming the Bonsai Tree LP value ends up checking out - is there anything else we should be considering? Flowers for a wedding? Other hardy plants?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Waiting for the CNBC article:

"Savvy frequent flyers create national bonsai tree shortage"
davork, Abidjan, JoeDTW and 9 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:54 am

PayPal emailed me a reminder that I have $10 off a $50 purchase at FTD which expires on Saturday so I was also going to buy a bonsai tree for good luck until I realized the cheapest shipping was $20. Oh well. Actually kind of disappointed because I just finished the new season of Cobra Kai and actually want a bonsai tree right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.