Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
CAUTION: Buyer Beware! DOES NOT WORK TO GET EXP This way
A caution to anyone who may try this suggestion to earn LPs buying FTD bonsai trees and hoping they get credit as a large multiplier of LP's from FTD. The Original Poster (and others) posted back that it posts as bonus miles and not base, so no LPs are earned.

some data points:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34174381-post70.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34048144-post308.html
Here's the thread on FTD:

Missing miles/LPs from FTD purchase in mid-Feb

Print Wikipost

127 bonsai trees for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Good. Because these purchases are contributing a heck of a lot more to AA's bottom line than ludicrous "mileage runs" where the airline loses money on every mile. Super happy to see these financially-oriented changes, which will thin the elite ranks and preserve status for those that actually financially contribute.
Indeed, and those who financially contribute the most are those who earn miles from non airline related activity, never fly, never use any of their elite benefits and never redeem their earned miles. If I were an accountant at AA I would love to have loads of these types of elites.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by mrow
Indeed, and those who financially contribute the most are those who earn miles from non airline related activity, never fly, never use any of their elite benefits and never redeem their earned miles. If I were an accountant at AA I would love to have loads of these types of elites.
"Indeed, and those who financially contribute the most are those who earn miles from non airline related activity, never fly fly on premium fares, never use any of their elite benefits within reason and never redeem their earned miles at market rates with reasonable expectations."

Fixed it for you.
surf121 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:58 pm

"Indeed, and those who financially contribute the most are those who earn miles from non airline related activity, never fly fly on premium fares, never use any of their elite benefits within reason and never redeem their earned miles at market rates with reasonable expectations."

Fixed it for you.
No. You broke it.

The class of elite you have identified incurs cost to the airline. The type of elite I identified does not.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
No. You broke it.

The class of elite you have identified incurs cost to the airline. The type of elite I identified does not.
Yep. It's like the millions of planet fitness members who pay and never ever go.
milypan, carlosdca, mrow and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
No. You broke it.

You're confusing revenue and profit. Cost is fine, so long as the associated revenue exceeds it. Of course the perfect customer would use zero elite benefits and redeem zero awards, but that may impact revenue. The realistic perfect customer is me, whom I described above.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:03 pm

You're confusing revenue and profit. Cost is fine, so long as the associated revenue exceeds it. Of course the perfect customer would use zero elite benefits and redeem zero awards, but that may impact revenue. The realistic perfect customer is me, whom I described above.
And you are confusing the perfect customer with yourself
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
The other customer is my father. He's a lifetime gold member who hasn't flown a single BIS mile with AA or US in his life. I don't think he had redeemed a single mile in his life until he offered to let me use his miles for a flight.

Until that point, he had just held the right credit card at the right time and made AA bundles of money without costing them a cent. Definitely a dream customer.
mrow likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
How was the bonsai?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/david...b0a629c1ab35a7
WOW. To be fair, it seems like it was a Healthy Choice promotion that applied to any airline? But I understand that back then AA awarded million miler points for any mile earned, not just butt-in-seat miles. Is that right? In any event, point well taken. 12,000 pudding cups to 127 bonsai trees, we've come full circle.
None of us will ever be "Pudding Guy" BUT... you could be "Bonsai Guy" find a local non FTD florist and find out what they'll give you for 120 Bonsai trees. RT
corky, catawba and ghsbass0406 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
How many LPs will Miyagi's bonsai on the cliff above the beach get me?
AsiaTraveler and Abidjan like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
Bought a bonsai tree on ftd.com and got 1575 miles, which I assume will translate into 1575LP. What a world we live in where one can buy 127 bonsai trees and make executive plat with AA. What's even more bananas is that if you were to actually purchase 127 bonsai trees, you'd spend $10,000 less by buying bonsai to make EXP (before shipping and tax) than by flying as an EXP with AA.
Interesting that the AA shopping portal only references FTD at 20 per $, but the FTD site computes 25 per $.
Spanish likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hotturnip
How was the bonsai?
Supposed to be delivered Saturday. Will report back.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
How was the bonsai?
Small
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Just purchased on Bonsai from FTD today as well, having just re-watched Karate Kid 3 two nights ago. will report back on the condition and LP situation.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
How was the bonsai?
It was very good -- with mustard.

(Apologies to W.C. Fields.)
mrow and MasterPlanner like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.